Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Oct 2014, 23:54 (Ref:3468115)   #26
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

(and we are not destrying expensive bits of nostalgia either
The appendix j series wasnt for original cars either.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 21:13 (Ref:3468395)   #27
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Redzone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00neelee View Post
Terry, you are correct about the beast. I forgot about the rally cross cars.

The XU-2 "prototype" though was never an LJ V8.

The only time Holden ever used XU-2 was on an LH styling exercise:

http://oldholden.com/node/110520

Incorrect, the XU2 name was on the LJ V8 styling exercise car (Barney's shirt) put together by Leo Pruneau. Leo wanted the car called the XU2 & Holden reassigned that option code in readiness for it's use. Leo named the gtr-xu1 so he had the clout.

Interesting Barney's Shirt has survived, owned by Larry Kavanagh now. The pink LJ GTR V8 prototype seems to have survived also (all 3 prototypes were actually gtr's). The orange one was stolen in the mid 80's. The white one god knows where it is.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3468613)   #28
m00neelee
Rookie

m00neelee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzone View Post
Incorrect, the XU2 name was on the LJ V8 styling exercise car (Barney's shirt) put together by Leo Pruneau. Leo wanted the car called the XU2 & Holden reassigned that option code in readiness for it's use. Leo named the gtr-xu1 so he had the clout.

Interesting Barney's Shirt has survived, owned by Larry Kavanagh now. The pink LJ GTR V8 prototype seems to have survived also (all 3 prototypes were actually gtr's). The orange one was stolen in the mid 80's. The white one god knows where it is.
Redzone, i'd love to see the styling car of Leo Pruneau's that you mentioned. I've seen numerous images of LJ clay models/styling exercises and have never seen XU-2 on any of them.

Also there is a minor flaw with your explanation. Leo Pruneau was still working for Vauxhall in 1970 when the GTR XU-1 was released, so he could not have been responsible for it's naming. He did not move to Holden until 1971. The LJ was the first Torana he put his stamp on. Interestingly the HB Viva (on which the Torana is based) was all his own work.

Last edited by m00neelee; 26 Oct 2014 at 09:24. Reason: typo
Old 30 Oct 2014, 21:58 (Ref:3470082)   #29
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
agreed. ,much more enjoyable now.

Before it was nostalgic championship which was entertaining for having some old school cars running on the track.

Now its a race series and we are getting longer races

the downside is that we have lost a lot of the ability to watch minis compete with Ford GTHOs. because the flaws in the GTHO have been fixed (and we are not destroying expensive bits of nostalgia either
Ohhhhhhhh? (dice not with anything of a Phase nature here, but you get the idea)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS4MIfA5i64
Old 31 Oct 2014, 03:21 (Ref:3470144)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What would be cool to see would be someone else driving Mr Bowe's Mustang Sally next season, and he moves to a different brand of car.

Would then shut down a lot of noise around that the car is simply too quick... when in reality the pilot is definitely in full sync with that old girl..

What would be fun to see would be Mr Bowe in a Porsche 911. Wonder if Synergy Race Engines have ever hotted up a flat 6 before?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Oct 2014, 04:42 (Ref:3470157)   #31
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
What would be cool to see would be someone else driving Mr Bowe's Mustang Sally next season, and he moves to a different brand of car.

Would then shut down a lot of noise around that the car is simply too quick... when in reality the pilot is definitely in full sync with that old girl..

What would be fun to see would be Mr Bowe in a Porsche 911. Wonder if Synergy Race Engines have ever hotted up a flat 6 before?
Interesting that JB's machine is running a 5.6l engine and many of the others have 5.8l engines, so the quality of the driver could be the difference.........just look at how Jimmy embarrasses everyone with only a 4.7l engine.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 05:02 (Ref:3470158)   #32
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I forget exactly what year it was I looked up for TCM times at Bathurst, 2 or 3 years ago I think, but this year's pole was a good 2.5 sec faster. Now either JB is getting faster or the car is. Coincidentally that was the same margin back to Miedecke in 2nd place. You wonder why they are putting the effort into improving the car, chasing hp etc only to end up with lead trophies.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 05:31 (Ref:3470159)   #33
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
I forget exactly what year it was I looked up for TCM times at Bathurst, 2 or 3 years ago I think, but this year's pole was a good 2.5 sec faster. Now either JB is getting faster or the car is. Coincidentally that was the same margin back to Miedecke in 2nd place. You wonder why they are putting the effort into improving the car, chasing hp etc only to end up with lead trophies.
Don't forget that the track was re-surfaced for this year - appears that everything has been running quicker.

Your last point is about the nature of competition, motor sport and the constant desire to improve - regardless of whether it's for a trophy, to go from 20th to 10th place or a big bag of cash, it is why many are in the sport at all.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3470348)   #34
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
JB's been driving that thing for a few years now and its been the recipient of continuous development. It had a big birthday right after the previous Bathurst run.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 22:54 (Ref:3470351)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Jim Richards AMC Javelin wasn't raced here either, but it was good to see it in the series.
Sadly its not raced here now... still in rebuild...
Old 31 Oct 2014, 23:03 (Ref:3470356)   #36
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Sadly its not raced here now... still in rebuild...
Yes, I think it's not easy to get parts these days.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 23:04 (Ref:3470357)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
There is one running in the Trans Am field in Queensland isnt there, perhaps not to the same spec..
Old 2 Nov 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3470967)   #38
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's even harder to find the money to fix it.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 23:46 (Ref:3470985)   #39
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz View Post
It's even harder to find the money to fix it.
That too.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 00:49 (Ref:3471006)   #40
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I thought the body shape was still in production in South America? Mexico? until fairly recently...then again, you know what thought thought
Old 14 Nov 2014, 05:17 (Ref:3474445)   #41
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/11/14/...title-defence/

Anyone else surprised that a TCM front runner can't find a new engine - somehow - in his home stage?
Old 14 Nov 2014, 09:25 (Ref:3474486)   #42
Thunder1
Racer

Thunder1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCM Competior had parts Stolen

The Melbourne's Cheapest Cars TCM Team had engines and a large range of parts stolen keep a look and ear out.

This kind of action is happening way more often.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vinta...97047260327544

Cheers
Jimmy
Old 14 Nov 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3474488)   #43
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A contributing factor may be Bowe's dominance...? (over 1.5 sec under the record...!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by (edited) Linked Article
John Bowe (Mustang Sally) dominated the practice sessions by lapping comfortably under the existing TCM qualifying record.
Bowe was easily under the TCM race lap record set last year..."

Code:

Pos Car    Driver       Vehicle              Cap   Laps   Fastest.Lap
 1   18    John Bowe    Mustang Trans Am     5600   7     1:41.4954

Current Practice Record Is 1:42.9587 Set On 22/11/2013
Old 15 Nov 2014, 01:36 (Ref:3474754)   #44
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/11/14/...title-defence/

Anyone else surprised that a TCM front runner can't find a new engine - somehow - in his home stage?
He is running a very high spec 289 with lots of (MIck Webb) special bits so those engines would be very thin on the ground and very $$$$ expensive , Jim has won just about everything there is to win a few times over so not winning here would hardly put a dent in his silverware cupboard
Old 15 Nov 2014, 10:14 (Ref:3474864)   #45
Langers
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
He is running a very high spec 289 with lots of (MIck Webb) special bits so those engines would be very thin on the ground and very $$$$ expensive , Jim has won just about everything there is to win a few times over so not winning here would hardly put a dent in his silverware cupboard
In my view if you're competing in a national series as a front runner with significant TV exposure for your sponsor, having a spare engine, gearbox and other major components is a fairly basic requirement. I suppose at the end of the day it comes down to what Shannons expect and are willing to fund.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 10:54 (Ref:3474885)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
In my view if you're competing in a national series as a front runner with significant TV exposure for your sponsor, having a spare engine, gearbox and other major components is a fairly basic requirement. I suppose at the end of the day it comes down to what Shannons expect and are willing to fund.
There are a number of teams in the Dunlop series who dont have that level of spares, let alone in the TCM series.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 12:02 (Ref:3474912)   #47
Langers
Veteran

Quote:
There are a number of teams in the Dunlop series who dont have that level of spares, let alone in the TCM series.
Front runners? It doesn't even need to be fresh, or the latest and greatest spec. Just something to throw in so you're not out of the entire weekend.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3475173)   #48
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't the Williamson(????) Jag throw a standard road car engine in at Sandown after lunching the race engine back in the Group C days?
Old 15 Nov 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3475187)   #49
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Jimmy has probably spent all his cash on the Javelin........nothing left for the Ford.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 00:43 (Ref:3475225)   #50
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Front runners? It doesn't even need to be fresh, or the latest and greatest spec. Just something to throw in so you're not out of the entire weekend.
IMHO Probably find it's setup for a non standard block (like "Dart") and that a normal Ford Engine and ancillaries fitting into the engine bay no longer exists and to make one now fit would require some major surgery which would probably not be worth the effort for the time required to do it .