Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 7 Jul 2016, 13:12 (Ref:3657492)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Round 11: Iowa Corn 300, Newton, Iowa. 9th - 10th July.

Round 11: Iowa Corn 300, Newton, Iowa. 9th - 10th July.

The AAA, (American Automobole Association) held the first race in Iowa, at the Tri-State Fair Grounds, in Burlington on July 9, 1915, with a distance of 100 miles (160 km). The AAA also hosted events at Des Moines Speedway, in Valley Junction on a one mile (1.60 km) wooden board track, in 1915 and 1916. The track closed and was dismantled soon after.

Construction of the current speedway began towards the end 2005 and was completed in July 2006. Iowa Speedway was the first track to have the SAFER Barrier installed around its entire perimeter and used a second generation of the barrier, which doesn't have a concrete wall behind the energy absorbing structure.

The first major event to be held at the new venue, was also the IndyCar Serie's inaugural Iowa Corn Indy 250, on June 24, 2007, which was won by Dario Franchitti, driving a Dallara IR05-Honda HI7R V8 for Andretti Green Racing. From 2014, the race distance was increased to 262.5 miles (422.45 Km) or 300 laps.

The Iowa Speedway is the shortest track on the IndyCar calendar, at 0.875 miles (1.408 Km) long, with an average lap time of under 18 seconds. Qualifying is decided by a two-lap speed average.

Some trivia:
Driver with the most wins: 3, Ryan Hunter-Reay: 2012, 2014, 2015
Most team wins, Andretti Autosport: 7, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.

Track:

Length:
0.894 Miles (1.408 km)
Turns: 4

Lap record:
Single lap. July 12, 2014, Helio Castroneves, 17.2283 seconds, 186.809 mph (300.64 km/h). Team Penske, Dallara DW12-Chevrolet.

Two-lap qualifying average. July 12, 2014. Scott Dixon, L1 - 17.2662 seconds. L2 - 17.2926 seconds, 186.256 mph (299.75 km/h). Chip Ganassi Racing, Dallara DW12-Chevrolet.

Last year's winner:
Ryan Hunter-Reay,
Andretti Autosport,
Dallara DW12-Honda

Laps: 300
Distance: 262.50 mi (422.452 km)
Race Time: 2:03:50
Average Speed: 129.94 mph (209.12 km/h)

TV Coverage:
NBCSN
5:00pm EST.
Old 7 Jul 2016, 20:37 (Ref:3657549)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
17.2 laps at 300 km/h is insane!
Old 8 Jul 2016, 15:20 (Ref:3657678)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indycar needs more like this one. Looking forward to it! I've driven past it on the interstate a couple of times. It's in the middle of nowhere, like the Field of Dreams and most of Iowa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

The AAA, (American Automobole Association) held the first race in Iowa, at the Tri-State Fair Grounds, in Burlington on July 9, 1915, with a distance of 100 miles (160 km). The AAA also hosted events at Des Moines Speedway, in Valley Junction on a one mile (1.60 km) wooden board track, in 1915 and 1916. The track closed and was dismantled soon after.
I need to read up more on the board track era. There's a YouTube video of a 1910s motorcycle board track race from Cali back in the day. Craziness!

Quote:
TV Coverage:
NBCSN
5:00pm EST.
So central time green flag around 450 / 5? Will this even get into the dark? I assume they are running on Sunday cause NASCAR is Saturday night? Bummer that most will be in the light as I like dark, short track racing. Am I wrong that the majority of the past races were at night and on Saturday?
Old 8 Jul 2016, 18:45 (Ref:3657691)   #4
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Indycar needs more like this one. Looking forward to it! I've driven past it on the interstate a couple of times. It's in the middle of nowhere, like the Field of Dreams and most of Iowa.

I need to read up more on the board track era. There's a YouTube video of a 1910s motorcycle board track race from Cali back in the day. Craziness!

So central time green flag around 450 / 5? Will this even get into the dark? I assume they are running on Sunday cause NASCAR is Saturday night? Bummer that most will be in the light as I like dark, short track racing. Am I wrong that the majority of the past races were at night and on Saturday?
I know next to nothing about the board track era but it sounds nuts. Do you have a link for the YouTube video?

More recently races have been held on Saturday: 2015, '14, '12 and '11, the rest were held on Sunday.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 21:00 (Ref:3657700)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I know next to nothing about the board track era but it sounds nuts. Do you have a link for the YouTube video?
I can't find the specific video but this is perhaps more on topic with this thread.
https://youtu.be/4klmJo5cEqQ

Just search board tracks and you will find a bunch. They seemed to be everywhere for 2 decades and they vanished quickly due to obvious danger for both competitor and spectator alike, as well as upkeep costs. What a site it must of been!

Edit: found it -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj4-eiu6kLQ
Quote:
More recently races have been held on Saturday: 2015, '14, '12 and '11, the rest were held on Sunday.
Ok, the last 2 then. I'd prefer that, but....

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 8 Jul 2016 at 21:16.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 21:29 (Ref:3657705)   #6
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My guess is a Penske for the win in Iowa.

board racing must of missed my radar over the years.
That is crazy. Some construction project. This was a
pretty good motorcycle video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-9w7f7c60
Old 9 Jul 2016, 00:08 (Ref:3657726)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I can't find the specific video but this is perhaps more on topic with this thread.
https://youtu.be/4klmJo5cEqQ

Just search board tracks and you will find a bunch. They seemed to be everywhere for 2 decades and they vanished quickly due to obvious danger for both competitor and spectator alike, as well as upkeep costs. What a site it must of been!

Edit: found it -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj4-eiu6kLQ

Ok, the last 2 then. I'd prefer that, but....
Thanks for the link.

I'm quite looking forward to the race, as it will be in complete contrast to the British GP.

You couldn't really get two completely, different open wheel races on the same weekend.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 00:55 (Ref:3657900)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Qualifying.

Pagenaud, gets his 5th pole of the season. However, a couple of surprises. Max Chilton is 4th and last year's winner, RH-R is back in 20th.

1 Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 185.855 mph
2 Josef Newgarden, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 185.639 mph
3 Helio Castroneves, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 185.433 mph
4 Max Chilton, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 185.419 mph
5 Charlie Kimball, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 184.489 mph
6 Tony Kanaan, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 184.430 mph
7 Ed Carpenter, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 184.339 mph
8 Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 183.984 mph
9 Mikhail Aleshin, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 182.754 mph
10 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 182.647 mph
11 Juan Pablo Montoya, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 182.641 mph
12 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda 182.253 mph
13 Takuma Sato, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 181.949 mph
14 Jack Hawksworth, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 181.700 mph
15 Carlos Munoz, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 181.067 mph
16 Sebastien Bourdais, KVSH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 180.925 mph
17 Alexander Rossi, Andretti Herta. Dallara/Honda. 180.920 mph
18 Gabby Chaves, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 180.390 mph
19 Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 180.286 mph
20 Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 179.903 mph
21 Conor Daly, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 178.646 mph
22 James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 175.027 mph
Old 10 Jul 2016, 20:26 (Ref:3658151)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Chilton's not really a surprise for me, he's gone past that stage now, he's a serious competitor. JPM yet again down on the grid, although not as bad as it has been
Old 10 Jul 2016, 21:41 (Ref:3658171)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
It's a clean start but they weren't exactly lined up. Newgarden is in the lead.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 21:44 (Ref:3658172)   #11
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Chilton's not really a surprise for me, he's gone past that stage now, he's a serious competitor. JPM yet again down on the grid, although not as bad as it has been
Didn't he (Chilton) win the Indy Lights race last year? Maybe the track suits him.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 21:52 (Ref:3658174)   #12
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I am becoming a huge fan of Josef Newgarden. I already like him but my respect for him is still growing.
He is really competitive at allmost all kinds of tracks this series visits, whilst NOT driving for one of the established top teams.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 22:06 (Ref:3658178)   #13
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
lap 85.
Has Newgarden lapped everyone bar Pagenaud, or is that a timing glitch?
Old 10 Jul 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3658181)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
First FCY of the day as RH-R has a massive blow out. It's not been his weekend.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 22:45 (Ref:3658185)   #15
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
No luck this season for JPM
Old 10 Jul 2016, 22:48 (Ref:3658186)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
JPM out.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 23:11 (Ref:3658189)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
2nd FCY as Chilton loses it but manages to avoid hitting the wall.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3658190)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
How did Dixon get up to 2nd?
Old 10 Jul 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3658191)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Beat Pagenaud out of the pits
Old 10 Jul 2016, 23:23 (Ref:3658193)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Beat Pagenaud out of the pits
I saw that. A little hairy but where was Dixon before he pitted?
Old 10 Jul 2016, 23:32 (Ref:3658196)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A couple of spectacular moves by Power.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 23:33 (Ref:3658197)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Josef Newgarden. What a superb drive.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 23:35 (Ref:3658198)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I saw that. A little hairy but where was Dixon before he pitted?
3rd.

All in all an enjoyable race. Total oversight by me when I missed the move to a fully day event (previously day/night).

They need to review the short track oval aero.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 10 Jul 2016 at 23:42.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 02:35 (Ref:3658218)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Result:

1 Josef Newgarden, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 1h52m16.3613s
2 Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 4.2828s
3 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 5.5085s
4 Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 6.1827s
5 Mikhail Aleshin, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 7.0386s
6 Alexander Rossi, Andretti Herta. Dallara/Honda. 1 Lap
7 Tony Kanaan, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 1 Lap
8 Sebastien Bourdais, KVSH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 1 Lap
9 James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 1 Lap
10 Charlie Kimball, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 1 Lap
11 Takuma Sato, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 2 Laps
12 Carlos Munoz, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 2 Laps
13 Helio Castroneves, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2 Laps
14 Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 2 Laps
15 Jack Hawksworth, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 2 Laps
16 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda. 3 Laps
17 Gabby Chaves, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 7 Laps
18 Ed Carpenter, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 16 Laps
19 Max Chilton, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 26 Laps
20 Juan Pablo Montoya, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet.Mechanical
21 Conor Daly, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. Mechanical
22 Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. Mechanical
Old 11 Jul 2016, 11:14 (Ref:3658266)   #25
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Dominant performance from Newgarden and Power ultimately did well to snatch 2nd.