Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Apr 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3813573)   #176
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
IMSA is a National/"local" series, but I don't see why that's an issue. Sebring 12 Hours is an IMSA event. Even if F1 went there (which would be hilarious), it should remain an IMSA event. WEC is tagging onto the IMSA event. And that's just fine.
Agreed to all of this including the hilarity of F1 at the old airfield but the term "local" has never been used to describe any national series in my decades of watching motor racing. It was only used here to undermine and to show more prestige of one verses another, which as you say, is completely irrelevant.

I'm so excited about this, now that it's been adjusted, I may watch a WEC race outside of LM this year and have already blocked off more time from work for March next year.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 02:30 (Ref:3813825)   #177
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Sebring 12 Hours is an IMSA event .
Well, only since 2013...
Old 8 Apr 2018, 04:12 (Ref:3813862)   #178
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Well, only since 2013...
And since 1973 as IMSA was the sanctioning body of the ALMS, and if you include the 2 years run as PSCR which was IMSA renamed after being sold in 1997
Old 8 Apr 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3813898)   #179
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
It was named PSR for 5 years.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3814057)   #180
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
It was named PSR for 5 years.
Ahh yes, then I would like to amend my original posit that Sebring hasn't just been an IMSA race since 2014, but also from 1973 to 1996, at which point the series was sold and renamed, later becoming the sanctioning body of the ALMS and then renamed back to IMSA again starting with the 2002 running.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3814157)   #181
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I mean, the headline race doesn't always run last on a race weekend anyway.

For example, PWC's last races of the weekends shared with Indycar are generally after the Indycar race.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3814211)   #182
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And I don't know if the practice stopped or has continued, but there used to be races on Sunday after the 12 Hours at least for a few years from about 2000 onwards.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3814503)   #183
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I used "local series", but national is a better term and more of what I was trying to say. I don't care if the WEC goes first or second at Sebring. I just thought it should be as big of a race as IMSA's. Cutting it to 1000miles or 8hrs seems like a big chop for no reason other than not to be as big as the 12 hours. Oh well, at least they'll be racing there, hopefully.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3814504)   #184
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And I don't know if the practice stopped or has continued, but there used to be races on Sunday after the 12 Hours at least for a few years from about 2000 onwards.
I don't recall any of them but haven't been to all since that year. Nothing on Sunday from 2010 onwards anyways.

I remember one year at the Petit ('01 or '02 I think) where PWC had an extra race scheduled (make up for an earlier cancellation during their season) on Sunday - biggest anti-climax on a race track ever, just didn't work, everybody was hangover incl. the workers!
Old 9 Apr 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3814505)   #185
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
IMSA is a National/"local" series, but I don't see why that's an issue. Sebring 12 Hours is an IMSA event. Even if F1 went there (which would be hilarious), it should remain an IMSA event. WEC is tagging onto the IMSA event. And that's just fine.
It certainly begs the question if the future race thread will be shared on both subforums!
Old 9 Apr 2018, 21:12 (Ref:3814527)   #186
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
It certainly begs the question if the future race thread will be shared on both subforums!

Thank heavens that they kept it as two separate races. We wouldn’t have been able to cope.

Whatever the WEC thread will be a good warm up. People can practice their use of smilies and BoP outrage for the main event.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3818442)   #187
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
IMSA pens a 6-year TV deal with NBC Sports: http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14906...in-2019-149065

So IMSA, Indycar and half a season of Nascar on the same networks. Let's see if they cannibalize or build on each other's audiences.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3818444)   #188
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IMSA and Indycar have some cross=over potential but doubt NASCAR would impact it either way, other than potentially moving races, or qualifying, to other NBC channels. Think it's more you have to worry about other events on NBCSN limiting live coverage depending on growth but NBCSN seems to be very motorsports forward.

The big challenge is any race overlaps with Olympic coverage, racing WILL lose to whatever the pop sport is in 2020.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3818453)   #189
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The big challenge is any race overlaps with Olympic coverage, racing WILL lose to whatever the pop sport is in 2020.
Don't be so sure. Keep in mind that all of the Olympics are streamed on the NBC Sports app, so really it'll depend on how the scheduling shakes out - if the less popular Olympic sports are up during any race times, then the races will probably still get their TV time - though almost certainly not on network. And there's even a chance that IndyCar and IMSA won't have anything scheduled during the Olympics(though IndyCar's usual Mid-Ohio date IS smack in the middle of it) to begin with.

Also, despite a massive improvement in the recently-run Winter games, NBC hasn't had the best track record with pleasing Olympic fans since they got the contract.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3818456)   #190
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
IMSA pens a 6-year TV deal with NBC Sports: http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14906...in-2019-149065
So after killing off SPEED, all of the international racing series, pretty much all of the national racing series, and now this, does FOX has anything motor racing related left left at all? Except NASCAR that is
Old 30 Apr 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3818472)   #191
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I jsut saw this and posted on the otehr IMSA thread ... i will go back and close that.

This could be a Lot worse.

NBCSN does a pretty good job with IndyCar ... too many commercials, but the crew does a decent job and while they don't catch every pass, they do tell a coherent story ... something Fox never mattered.

Still too many commercials, and we shall see how they handle multiple classes ... but IMSA could do a lot worse.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3818475)   #192
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So after killing off SPEED, all of the international racing series, pretty much all of the national racing series, and now this, does FOX has anything motor racing related left left at all? Except NASCAR that is
NHRA and Formula E are on Fox. I can honestly I haven't watched a Fox broadcast of an IMSA race in about 3 years. Given the Indycar/F1 coverage, I'll at least give NBC a chance.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 23:56 (Ref:3818543)   #193
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
NHRA and Formula E are on Fox. I can honestly I haven't watched a Fox broadcast of an IMSA race in about 3 years. Given the Indycar/F1 coverage, I'll at least give NBC a chance.
How long do you think they're gonna bother with FE lol

Anyway back in the 'good old days' when I watched these things on SPEED, I actually liked both Brian Till and (yes he occasionally gets heat) Calvin Fish. And Jamie Howe. Especially now that all of LM/WEC's axed too, hopefully they'll find employment somewhere, and are not left to rot like Dorsey Schroeder and some others
Old 1 May 2018, 01:08 (Ref:3818546)   #194
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The last 8 to 15 years have probably been the most volatile and competitive market in American sports broadcasting ever. Many companies have made some bold and ambitious moves that have not gone so well.

That said, FOX and their upper management can rot in Hell. They've pretty much ruined everything they've touched when it comes to motor racing and as a side, are the epitome with what is wrong with "journalism".

NBC may not give us better coverage but I'll at least be rid of FOX for one piece, even though I've made things happen with streams.
Old 1 May 2018, 12:10 (Ref:3818656)   #195
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anybody know what the terms of this tv deal are? Is the series making money from it? Is NBC making money from it?
Old 1 May 2018, 12:30 (Ref:3818659)   #196
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Anybody know what the terms of this tv deal are? Is the series making money from it? Is NBC making money from it?
Why do you care?
Old 1 May 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3818661)   #197
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
Why do you care?
Because the financial structure of the deal will likely have a direct impact on the type and amount of in race advertising we see.

And perhaps because this is a discussion forum I wanted to maybe, you know, talk about it.
Old 1 May 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3818677)   #198
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
NHRA and Formula E are on Fox.
Fox Sports also airs AMA Supercross and Monster Jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
FOX and their upper management can rot in Hell. They've pretty much ruined everything they've touched when it comes to motor racing and as a side, are the epitome with what is wrong with "journalism".
Last year, Fox Sports fired 20 writers and switched their website to video-only. User traffic collapsed.
Old 2 May 2018, 00:44 (Ref:3818760)   #199
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Because the financial structure of the deal will likely have a direct impact on the type and amount of in race advertising we see.

And perhaps because this is a discussion forum I wanted to maybe, you know, talk about it.
Rational debate and discussion? On the internet? In an IMSA subforum? Why I never! Snide comments in a poor attempt to be witty, one up or demean are all the rage these days, joeb.

And to your original question, all I can find is the same article copied and pasted to the usual sites...that was kinda fun, seeing "real journalism" at work.
Old 2 May 2018, 07:19 (Ref:3818814)   #200
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Some more insight: http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/be...aradigm-shift/