Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Feb 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1521647)   #1
graham allen
Rookie

United Kingdom
kent
graham allen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1916 Maxwell

Not sure I should have done it, but it's too late now. What can you do to make a 1916 Maxwell sidevalve engine go faster without breaking too many VSCC rules. The bore is the same as a Harley SV (3 5/8") and they built enough cars to raise the possibility that some were tweaked and raced - aluminium heads, OHV conversions etc?? Come on guys, 25hp may prove an embarassment.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1521655)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Graham, do cars of this era get modified much from standard? I'd have thought originality was all important here - it is 90 years old! I cannot imagine that its pace on the track would be an embarrassment; its presence would more than compensate for its lack of speed and a real delight for all of us to behold!
Old 13 Feb 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1521717)   #3
graham allen
Rookie

United Kingdom
kent
I agree that originality is a good thing and there are certainly cars that should be conserved as found, but what was a mass-produced Laurel & Hardy 4-seater of the Model T ilk is now a rusty (wheel-less) chassis, engine,gearbox and axles.
As such it offers more scope to tinker with than a car than with rare historical pedigree or any potential to restore it to original condition - I do not propose to "drop in an aero engine" or turbocharge it, just find out what was done in period and do likewise.
This is a constant debate in the VSCC and beyond, but finding and fettling projects for sports use has as much appeal now as it did in 1916 - thankfully there are still a projects that on balance present a valid opportunity to do so.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1521808)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I take your point, but I wonder how many out there will know much about Maxwell engines, let alone modifying them. Very best of luck anyway! Can anyone help Graham out here?
Old 13 Feb 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1521856)   #5
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maxwell!!!
Don't go overboard with it!
Old 14 Feb 2006, 15:22 (Ref:1522661)   #6
graham allen
Rookie

United Kingdom
kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
Maxwell!!!
Don't go overboard with it!
No relation as far as I know but I'll watch out for the lakes at Mallory and Oulton just in case.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1522921)   #7
morrisnutter
Rookie

morrisnutter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham,

You're not as limited as you might think on a SV engine like this. I have had the loan of a Model A trials car (I'm a VSCC member too) which is big bore, long stroke SV (3.3 litres). Very potent it is too. The engine mods on this total a high compression head, SU (ie better) carb with manifold to suit and a pressure fed crank.

The latter won't give you noticeably more power, but will probably improve it's durability (or at least reduce time between remetalling!!).
The HC head is the easiest way i think. Older engines had poor petrol in period and correspondingly low compression ratios for combatting knock. You could get the ratio higher now without getting anywhere near knocking, but you must be wary of valves hitting the head. A (relatively) thin solid copper gasket can give gains also. If you can get an (eligible) aluminium one, then it's worth a go.
A better (perhaps even period) carb is straightforward enough, likewise the manifold.

The best part of all of these are that they can be done without even modifying any bolt holes.

That'll get you quicker in a straight line. Cornering faster may need well-based tyres on the rear (always a good idea- I presume you also only have 2 wheel brakes?) I see from the VSCC forum you're in need of wheels. Worth bearing in mind at this stage.

Hope that helps

Paul

Last edited by morrisnutter; 14 Feb 2006 at 21:10. Reason: factually inaccurate!
Old 16 Feb 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1524402)   #8
graham allen
Rookie

United Kingdom
kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisnutter
Graham,

You're not as limited as you might think on a SV engine like this.
Hi Morris - thanks for the advice. Model A's do go quickly but there are many more period mods available in the way of alloy heads etc. I am sure with the number of Maxwell 25's made that someone made similar heads but no luck yet.
The crank is pretty hefty, and pressure fed to the mains at each end with splash in between so I should not need to alter this. The compression is a good point, and may be possible via pistons rather than permanently altering the head metal.
If I can find 20" well based rims I am tempted to fit them all round for practicality and safety - Avons SMs are available for this diameter but what do about hubs! I have the remains of wooden wheels but want wires. People appear to make new spline hubs or combine hub and wheel centre which may not be quick change but reduces unsprung weight and complexity, I could also then keep the original grease covers which would be good.

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Feb 2006 at 16:15. Reason: Boxed in quote!
Old 16 Feb 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1524437)   #9
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would not go far down the route of modification, the likliehood is that one uprate will lead to a failure further down the train.
The VSCC has a very successful handicap system to balance out the performance of all competitors and that all adds to the charm. You will never be able to compete on equal terms with the likes of the Panhard or Monarch.
Look back only a couple of years... a similar side valve machine to yours with a full seven seat body finished second by only 0.65s in the Mallory Edwardian race to the Indy Sunbeam....it was wall driven though
Old 21 Feb 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1528186)   #10
graham allen
Rookie

United Kingdom
kent
...it was wall driven though [/QUOTE]

It sounds like the Yellow One, but I don't remember a wall...

I'm inclined to agree about mods - I will check it over as it stands, and see how it goes before messing around, there are quite enough things to sort out elsewhere as is comes apart anyway.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1547909)   #11
Steve L
Rookie

Steve L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was wondering how your Maxwell project is progressing, Graham?

It sounds an interesting rebuild!

Any pictures ?!