Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jan 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1201727)   #26
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, Ferrari thought the two drivers helmets were very similar when viewed from the front - and Willi Weber (never one to miss a merchandise opportunity) immediately told them Michael would change.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1201733)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That was the stated line, that it was down to there being difficulties distinguishing the two.

However, I can't say I had any difficulty telling them apart, so this leads me to believe that Michael had his helmet painted Marlboro red. Call me cynical.

And it was a shame.....I really liked Schueys old design and colour scheme.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 02:29 (Ref:1201958)   #28
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This case if sponsors should or not disrupt driver helmet designs is important in some ways, because we race viewers identify drivers by their helmets and there are several cases of people that knows the driver most for his helmet than for his face.

There were many cases of driver changing helmet designs for sponsor reasons: Eddie Irvine's helmet is a clear one when he was contracted by Jaguar in 2000 and he changed his orange fluo-with-green lines design for one dark green with jaguar faces on it. Schumi changed his design almost at the same time.

But it's not related only in F1: I remember when in CART Christian Fittipaldi changed its yellow-with-darkgreen-drops for a red-with-white-drops for a season, because the car he drove was red (I don't remember if it was a Swift).

And it's one case more curious, of a driver who changed his helmet colours almost every time he changed team: it's the case of Giorgio Pantano. Since 2002 he's used the same shape design, but with different colours according to the colours of the cars he drove: in 2002 he used an red and bright green design for his red Coloni F3000 car; in 2003 he used a blue and light blue design for his pale blue Durango F3000 car; and in 2004 he used a yellow and light blue design for his yellow and black Jordan F1 car.

In a conclussion word, for identify reasons, I would say that sponsors shouldn't disrupt driver helmet designs, but the last word is ever for the helmet holder, that is - the driver.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 04:13 (Ref:1201974)   #29
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id love to see completely blank helmets, one of the best things about the off season is guys who are moving teams often have to run emtpy overalls and helmets; and some of those shots of Webber testing the Williams with no stickers on his skid-lid were awesome.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 04:46 (Ref:1201984)   #30
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Most drivers helmets these days all look like an explosion in a paint factory,and with the high cockpit sides you can't see them anyway.

Last edited by Armco Bender; 16 Jan 2005 at 04:46.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1202001)   #31
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm..curiously why have it taken a twist to smirk at Michael?

Michael's helmet has evolved over the years, just like many other drivers...who, as they get more professional, their helmet design reflects the same. Fundamentally, the basic design had remained the same, and that it's only a change of colour to further enhance Michael's link with Ferrari.

Michael's original helmet bears too similar a design as Rubens when seen from far (ie TV shots), and hence, it's natural somebody have to make some alteration (not because a Sponsor wanted it). If Rubens had changed his design, cynics would have said Michael bullied Rubens into it.

So what if it is for whatever reasons? Drivers change their helmet designs (update) over the span of their career. Some replaced the white section with chrome, some added some strips...so what if Michael had his changed? Mechandise opportunity? LoL..so i guess he made a living out of changing helmet design..

In fact, someone brought up Eddie Irvine..and it reminds me how drastic the changes have been in some cases. But it's a real balance...on one hand, it may lose a driver's identity if the change is too drastic (ie complete re-design), on the other..minor updates (ie changing to chrome) to enhance the original design can be interesting to see.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1202136)   #32
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT-R I think the discussion has been mainly on-topic so far, and discussing Michael's helmet is part of this discussion.

My own view is I like tradition - keep helmets the same.

I like distinctive helmets that standout, for example Mario and Michael Andretti, Al Unser Jr., Damon Hill, Ayrton Senna, Jacques Villeneuve.

When Michael changed to the red helemt I hated it at first; sacrilage, I thought, he's sold out, no morals... but now I think it is perfect and it epitomises his relationship with Ferrari - completely united. His last mark of individuality, his helmet, he gave up to appear just as any other Ferrari team member, symbolically an equal member of the team, at least visually if not actually. But appearances count for a lot, and he no longer looks like Michael the "ace fighter pilot", but now more like the ace Ferrari driver, called Michael Schumacher. It is a visual change that symbolises Ferrari's team unity.

In addition to that I think history should remember this helmet as truly his as that bright red helmet will always be synonomous with Michael Schumacher, just as Senna's yellow, and Damon Hill's black and white cross, helmets are their own. For a new driver to immitate even by accident such uniqueness would not be received well by fans, and is counterproductive.

So stick to original designs, but their are excepitions but only of excepitional nature if you know what I mean.

Splatz the Cow.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1203041)   #33
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed
So what would happen if Klien and AJ Allmendinger were both in F1 in a couple of years?
We'd all be ice-skating in hell?

You're talking of some post-Apocalyptic renegade GPWC-type series there...
Old 19 Jan 2005, 05:19 (Ref:1204408)   #34
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Not impossible the Klien and Allmendinger theory. AJ is talented, and we know Klien is good enough if he is consistent this season. We'll see.

And Splatz, wasn't Damon Hill's helmet the same as his dad's? I do believe I have seen pictures. Jacques Villeneuve is a good example of sticking with the same helmet design throughout his career. And has anybody noticed that Heidfeld's helmet design is nearly identical to Schumi's old one?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1204499)   #35
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85

And Splatz, wasn't Damon Hill's helmet the same as his dad's? I do believe I have seen pictures. Jacques Villeneuve is a good example of sticking with the same helmet design throughout his career. And has anybody noticed that Heidfeld's helmet design is nearly identical to Schumi's old one?
Yes, Hills was like his Dad.

Heidfelds isnt really like Shuey's helmet, although he did change it slightly in his last year of F3000
Old 19 Jan 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1204522)   #36
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell
Maybe this is just a rumor, but im sure i heard or read somewhere years ago that the Nacional sponsorship that Senna had on his helmet wasnt paid for.
I heard originally they sponsored him in some of the lower series and then his first few years getting into Formula 1. But after that they withdrew their sponsorship of him but he continued to keep their logo on his helmet to thank them because it was them who helped him get to where he was.
Can anyone else confirm this?

Yep, that's absolutely true.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1204814)   #37
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
And has anybody noticed that Heidfeld's helmet design is nearly identical to Schumi's old one?
Nope. The helmets of Yuji Tachikawa and José MarÃ*a López are more similar to the design of Schumi's old one.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1205321)   #38
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow
I like distinctive helmets that standout, for example Mario and Michael Andretti, Al Unser Jr., Damon Hill, Ayrton Senna, Jacques Villeneuve.
Al Unser Jr. and all penske drivers under the Marlboro liveries have changed their respective helmets to Marlboro orange, black and white. Heck Sam Hornish jr's helmet is a marlboro orange and black american flag which is pretty disgusting.