Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jul 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3753372)   #2376
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Are they not the beat combo that once sponsored Tony Chambers (?) in Formula Ford?
They were certainly involved with a black driver at sometime, and that is all I know about them.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 17:40 (Ref:3753380)   #2377
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!

One of my customers had a Darwin moment today. My job involves tipping very large skips into the back of my very large dust cart the same as in the picture. So today I'm tipping a skip and one of the managers comes out and says "I need to clear those boxes", this is from behind where the skip is located and the silly bint then proceeds to stand under the skip while it's in the air and remove the boxes, I shouted at her not to go under but she just carried on regardless, all the time she's talking on a mobile phone. I'd already had a similar incident with one of the other managers earlier in the week and had to tell him to move as well.
All reported to my boss who was less than impressed and made a phone call to them pointing out the error of their ways. I just wonder where these people get their brains from and how they actually manage to get to a position of some responsibility.
Attached Thumbnails
REL.JPG  
Old 21 Jul 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3753391)   #2378
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
One of my customers had a Darwin moment today. My job involves tipping very large skips into the back of my very large dust cart the same as in the picture. So today I'm tipping a skip and one of the managers comes out and says "I need to clear those boxes", this is from behind where the skip is located and the silly bint then proceeds to stand under the skip while it's in the air and remove the boxes, I shouted at her not to go under but she just carried on regardless, all the time she's talking on a mobile phone. I'd already had a similar incident with one of the other managers earlier in the week and had to tell him to move as well.
All reported to my boss who was less than impressed and made a phone call to them pointing out the error of their ways. I just wonder where these people get their brains from and how they actually manage to get to a position of some responsibility.
Living in France, where thankfully H&S is in its infancy, such things would be normal. If you've watched any of the Tour de France I am sure you will have spotted spectators crammed into Manitou shovels and the like, hovering perilously high in the air. Hard hats etc haven't really caught on either.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 19:10 (Ref:3753394)   #2379
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
And of course, should the worst have happened, H&S would have down on you and your company like a ton of bricks.......
Old 21 Jul 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3753398)   #2380
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
And of course, should the worst have happened, H&S would have down on you and your company like a ton of bricks.......
Or like a skip on a managers head.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3753415)   #2381
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Talking of skips, I followed an Adair Marques tarted up Bentley this evening going in to town; what an ugly monstrosity they had created. Assuming that it was based on a Bentayga SUV, they had converted a brick on wheels into a full size breeze block on wheels.

I think that Ford's would have been embarrassed if their Transits looked so awful.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 21:29 (Ref:3753429)   #2382
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend was caught up delays due to the Lion Bar incident on the A2. He said the roads were chocca blocked
Old 21 Jul 2017, 21:52 (Ref:3753432)   #2383
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
A friend was caught up delays due to the Lion Bar incident on the A2. He said the roads were chocca blocked
It is said that you could see the queue from the Milky Way.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 05:05 (Ref:3753468)   #2384
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It is said that you could see the queue from the Milky Way.

M&M, what a bunch of Smarties you are!

Perhaps the A2 should be renamed Quality Street.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 05:55 (Ref:3753470)   #2385
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been on the A2. It should never be associated with quality.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jul 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3753496)   #2386
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It's not the quality of the road, the A2 is very good now it has been widened to four lanes each way, the problem is the quality of the drivers that use it. There seems to be at least one collision in each rush hour daily on the section between Bexley and the start of the M2.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 11:04 (Ref:3753502)   #2387
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

So, none of that old Black top Magic that roads used to have?
Old 22 Jul 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3753543)   #2388
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I dont know what average opinion you have about your Chris Froome, but what a champion, a nice person and clever sportsman he is. In addition he speaks a very good french! He even hasn't been upset by the cold "welcome" he got in the south stadium, which is a shame I feel.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3753544)   #2389
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I dont know what average opinion you have about your Chris Froome, but what a champion, a nice person and clever sportsman he is. In addition he speaks a very good french! He even hasn't been upset by the cold "welcome" he got in the south stadium, which is a shame I feel.
Completely correct, Gerard. Perhaps a bit disappointing that Froome won the overall event without actually winning a stage but I guess that's the name of the game.

Romain Bardet & Warren Barguil are not doing a bad job for France & their day will surely come.

A huge respect for them all though, even the guy who won the Red Lantern.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3753546)   #2390
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
He may be a nice chap but that still doesn't forgive him for being a cyclist
Old 22 Jul 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3753552)   #2391
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
From the beginning him and his team managed a strategy to win the overall classification. This was the goal, they made it. Alone they can do nothing or so few. When interviewed, he always mentioned his team. A true smiling gentleman.
Strange that Bardet had such a bad day in Marseille.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3753554)   #2392
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I wonder how long he would take to bring back cwossonts from Stavelot… Anyone an idea? May be we can add pistolets and pains au chocolat too!!
Old 22 Jul 2017, 21:45 (Ref:3753646)   #2393
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder how long he would take to bring back cwossonts from Stavelot… Anyone an idea? May be we can add pistolets and pains au chocolat too!!
pains au chocolat?

Surely those are banned substances?

Would that be why the couriers need pistolets?

Old 23 Jul 2017, 04:23 (Ref:3753683)   #2394
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Gosh it sure did rain in the night . I was getting soaked in the truck . Went yesterday to get the quassons. There was an apple pie in the window. It had my name on it so I eat it .😀
Old 23 Jul 2017, 07:03 (Ref:3753691)   #2395
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, agree about Froome and Team Sky, but Beeb sport have this- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40692045

Bad rain here in Sussex last evening and then night, and also at home yesterday morning, so you're not the only one getting wet! Good job Silverstone wasn't this weekend.....
Old 23 Jul 2017, 07:16 (Ref:3753692)   #2396
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pretty bad here in the Cotswolds too. Not too windy thankfully but the rain storms during the day were horrendous and we had to pause testing while they were on

Old 23 Jul 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3753694)   #2397
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, does this mean something like: no-one is a prophet in his own country? Back in time, Poulidor was said to be always second up which is rather unfair. He was popular probably because its easier to identify to the second than the first.

Hope Silverstone won't be wet!
Old 23 Jul 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3753697)   #2398
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Froome is one of my all time favourite sportsmen. He is a brilliant rider and it was a little disappointing that he got booed on a few occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Completely correct, Gerard. Perhaps a bit disappointing that Froome won the overall event without actually winning a stage but I guess that's the name of the game.

Romain Bardet & Warren Barguil are not doing a bad job for France & their day will surely come.

A huge respect for them all though, even the guy who won the Red Lantern.
It must be harder than ever for a 3 time winner and constant wearer of the yellow jersey to get away for a stage win these days with the quality of the riders in the event, every attempt being covered by the other contenders. There were some brilliant breakaway rides and stage victories but none were really a threat to the main GC contestants. I think Froome won the event with that steep uphill recovery ride after the rear wheel failure. A superhuman effort and supported by some team mates who are great riders in their own right. Such a shame that the superb Geraint Thomas crashed out early on but then a number of the top riders were lost that way during the course of the 3 weeks.

Agreed about Bardet and Barguil; they really livened up proceedings and lead the way in a welcome French resurgence.

Quote:
Yes, agree about Froome and Team Sky, but Beeb sport have this- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40692045
We have had a substantial number of very successful bike riders in various disciplines in recent years, and Sir Bradley Wiggins is at or near the top of that list but surely even his achievements have been surpassed by Chris Froome so it is surprising he does not get greater recognition and acclaim over here.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 23 Jul 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3753704)   #2399
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
It was indeed sad to lose Pete Sagan, Mark Cavendish & then Geraint Thomas so early on. Not only three great cyclists but also personalities who added something extra to the event. Thomas's pithy quotes were always worth hearing!

In hindsight Sagan may have been treated over-harshly by the officials. Others seemed to get away more lightly. One rider simply received a 7-minute penalty for barging another, and as was pointed out by the commentators he was already two hours behind anyway! It was good to see that a camaraderie remained between Sagan & Cavendish afterwards.

Praise should be given to the TV coverage too, not just the event itself but the wonderful insight into the various monuments, towns & other things of interest along the route. It's very tempting to sit all day & watch it.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 09:03 (Ref:3753705)   #2400
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

Bad rain here in Sussex last evening and then night, and also at home yesterday morning, so you're not the only one getting wet! Good job Silverstone wasn't this weekend.....
I wonder what it's like at Cadwell - I'd hate it to rain on Baub's Big Birthday Bash!
Closed Thread