Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Sep 2012, 13:02 (Ref:3137220)   #276
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I was there. Sat right at the start/finish line. It looked to be more then 5500 people there, basicly the whole west grandstand (the one by the start straight for 10000 people) was full. I'd say it was atleast 8000, but I guess we have to assume it was 5500 then.

The race officials was a farce all day, pacecar in the Porsche race picking up the wrong car, took them 5-6 laps to get the feild lined up correctly behind them, and the reason for the safetycar was a tire barrier in a corner, wich was fixed almost before the pacecar even came out.
They counted wrong on the laps in every race, and hung out the checkerd flag one lap too early in every race, exept one (Radical) where they managed to flag off the 2nd placed man, resulting in the winner doing one extra lap just to be sure he took the flag.
Both of the chicanes was a total mess, tyres being hit so the racing line changed from lap to lap, in all classes.
Disaster organisation-wise I'd say, especially with the drivethough for Mangs and Haglöf, something we on the stands didnt even know what it was for cause the sound from the speakers was awfully bad.

Key-word for the whole race is potensial, yes Tierp has the potensial to be a really really great racing arena for all kinds of motosport. But they need to work hard to make that happend, not just throw a track together in one week and think everything will be alright.

Swedish GT was the most entertaining race of the day, despite only 15 cars starting. The front 7 cars or so was racing together the whole race, overtaking each other all the way to the flag. And the Ferrari 458 and Aston Martin sound by far the best of all cars there that weekend!

Last edited by PorscheFanNo1; 17 Sep 2012 at 13:25.
Old 17 Sep 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3137455)   #277
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there to and have to agree with PorscheFanNo1 that it looked to be quite a decent amount of people there, although very unevenly spread out in the stands due to the track layout.

Unfortunately I had both very poor battery on my phone and poor internet reception so I couldn't have the live timing on much, which made some of the racing a bit difficult to follow and the qualifying rather boring - because there was no way in hell you could hear the announcers more than a few seconds each lap. The checkered flag situation didn't exactly help to make sense of it all. I don't think people would be too glad paying 500 SEK or whatever going to a hockey game not being able to tell the score or the time left in the period. But if it's racing the audience is supposed to just sit there and be happy that cars are going around the track at speed.

Overall I did enjoy it, eventhough it for sure was a bit too pricey. I hope I by paying that price helped the track to afford a big giant screen with a lap counter.
Old 17 Sep 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3137456)   #278
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
I guess TTA doesn't come out as the winner of the touring car war, right? Maybe the Swedes don't prefer DTM-style touring car racing after all?

The only thing the STCC needs is a proper grid, which comes close to 20 cars. Then, the TTA can start formulating their declaration of surrender.
Hopefully STCC and TTA will come to some sort of agreement but there's so much money and time sunk into TTA by this time I don't think they'll back down.

I like the Solution-F cars and I think they could be good, expecially if they opened up for multiple engine manufacurers. But I do agree with Jimmy that they have to stop sticking their head in the sand and start listening to outside peoples opinions. The fact that they seem to have gotten worse over the course of the season is obviously not good so I hope they have a long sitdown after the season and discuss everything through.

I watched the Youtube-video from Tierp and from the looks of it they had massive safety issues that could have easily been solved, I mean what were they thinking putting lose tire stacks right in the chicane? What is this the 70s? Track wise I'd agree that potential is the key word, right now it's okay but nothing special although I think it could be a nice circuit with some work.

Basically, for next year, I'm hoping for well thought through solutions to the problems that the series has, from an outside perspective it seems way to many rash decisions are beeing made.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3139234)   #279
moonman
Rookie

moonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have watched a few TTA races only on youtube but I don't like the cars, they are ugly and the handling is strange. Racing is a bit boring, either someone pulls away or they crash into each other when trying to overtake. Mid motor higher power RWD cars will never offer as good racing as FWD cars because TTA cars are more difficult to drive.
Sad for all the money that in my opinion have been wasted on TTA.

Have ever any siluette TC series been sucessful?
Old 20 Sep 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3139274)   #280
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Have ever any siluette TC series been sucessful?
Stockcar Brazil, Turismo Carretera and Top RaceV6 - 3 of the 4 most popular series in Latin America - are all very successfull silhouette series, as used to be Trans-Am and IMSA's GT-classes in the US until the mid to late 90s.

And then, there is of course DTM.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3139530)   #281
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman View Post
I have watched a few TTA races only on youtube but I don't like the cars, they are ugly and the handling is strange.
I actually quite like the cars, they look like 'DTM Lite' cars (which I suppose is essentially what they are) and they sound pretty good. Again I'm just going from youtube clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman View Post
Racing is a bit boring, either someone pulls away or they crash into each other when trying to overtake. Mid motor higher power RWD cars will never offer as good racing as FWD cars because TTA cars are more difficult to drive.
The racing hasn't been great - but how much of that is down to drivers? How good are the drivers? Is it a case of the skill gap in the field being quite large? The driver pool has been diluted by having the 2 championships (just as the entries to each have been).
Old 21 Sep 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3139640)   #282
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The racing hasn't been great - but how much of that is down to drivers? How good are the drivers? Is it a case of the skill gap in the field being quite large? The driver pool has been diluted by having the 2 championships (just as the entries to each have been).

I think this is a valid point, I dont really think we can make a fair judgment until maybe next year, when/if we get the top guys from STCC on the grid with one or two more top teams. Also to take into account is that many drivers have not yet found settings for the cars that they are comfortable with and can drive fast. Take Jocke Mangs for example, at Karlskoga and Anderstorp he was a backmarker, then at Tierp they fould the settings he liked and he was quickest!

If you take 20 drivers in TTA cars, and they all find settings that are to their likings, the racing will be close.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 11:51 (Ref:3139936)   #283
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The racing hasn't been great - but how much of that is down to drivers?
I'd say part of the problem is the tracks here in Sweden as well.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3142910)   #284
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
johnny99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know where we can see the last race online

John
Old 28 Sep 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3142951)   #285
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The TTA and STCC looks set to merge for the 2013 season, a decision expected to be revealed next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringCarTimes View Post
"The owners of TTA are 100 % positive to cooperate and we have approved all parts of the contract. But it needs to be signed of all parties, I take nothing for granted even through it looks positive," said Jan "Flash" Nilsson, founder and part-owner of TTA to VF.se.
Rumors indicate that S2000/NGTC will be replaced by the TTA class for next year if the two championship merge.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:16 (Ref:3143092)   #286
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So STCC does an USAC and lets the rebels run on their championship. But that's okay, because it's for the better of the sport. If they could now use the NGTC engines in the TTA cars, they could have a pretty good championship at their hands. The only question remaining is about the future of the likes of Engström, VW and Chevrolet Sweden. If VW and Chevrolet have enough interest into the Scandinavian market, could we see Cruzes and Passats for next year? But how about Honda or rather Engström? Does he receive any support from Honda Sweden? If so, then they might bother to build an Accord for the new regs.
On the other hand, who says that the teams might not start another series on their own? After all, they'll have to race under rules that have been devised by their competitors. Who says that they'll have a say about how the series will be run in the future?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3143096)   #287
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the SBF & Flash seem to think it's pretty much a done deal to merge the two series. Clearly, the STCC has the brand, the TV coverage and marketing behind it to get better attended series. Combined with the fuller grid of TTA and maybe, just maybe, this whole thing can be sorted out.

Shame in some ways, as personally a full S2000/NGTC grid would be my own preference. But a 25+ grid of TTA cars rebranded as STCC, with the best Swedish tracks and coverage, will still be nice. Although, what's to say the TTA and S2000/NGTC cars couldn't run in he same race as classes or in separate races in the same weekend? Plus, where does the rallycross fit in?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3143334)   #288
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd bet a pretty penny that the grid next year won't be more than 20 cars. The TTA teams put four cars each on the grid because they had to, and I think a reduction from those 16 is very likely. And you can discount everyone except VW, Chevy and Honda from STCC because they have nowhere near the budget to either invest in or run the cars. Also, Chevy and Honda stayed in STCC for a reason - it fit their brands and they had cars ready. I don't see any of that being true for the TTA regulations.

If there is a merger I imagine KMS would be there in some capacity, with one VAG brand or another. Who knows at what level of support - the Audi brand makes sense when you're competing against Volvo and BMW, but it's still between Volvo and Saab for the driver's championship this year. In spec cars they're all the same and what car manufacturer wants to compare themselves to Saab?

Maybe I'm wrong and Honda & Chevy are on board working on TTA bodies. But if I were them I'd take the safe option and do WTCC while waiting to see how the unified series pans out, rather than plowing money into a rather risky proposition. And that's if I wanted to continue at all. And as always, the drivers are irrelevant in this - they will go where the money is.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 19:26 (Ref:3143386)   #289
LeoncaValla
Rookie

LeoncaValla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda Racing Sweden and Chevrolet Motorsport Sweden can go to the WTCC and ETCC.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3143435)   #290
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
I dont consider ETCC as an option for any team currently in STCC, Chevy Team Sweden I could se going to WTCC, seeing as they've done races there in the past, all be it as a 4th factory team. All comes down if tehy can get sposors to cover a WTCC campaign, which I dont really do.

Will be an interesting silly season for sure.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3143463)   #291
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
I dont consider ETCC as an option for any team currently in STCC, Chevy Team Sweden I could se going to WTCC, seeing as they've done races there in the past, all be it as a 4th factory team. All comes down if tehy can get sposors to cover a WTCC campaign, which I dont really do.

Will be an interesting silly season for sure.
What they need is a Taniguchi/O'Young-style driver to pay for a single car and the running of the team around it - then they could probably find enough to add a 2nd car. Rydell wants to get back into international racing anyway. That's at least what I would try for if I were NIKA, especially if I lost my factory backing. Resource and risk management.

I don't see Honda caring much for a WTCC effort, but Engström has always had a knack for finding sponsors. I wonder if it's possible to put a JAS 1600 engine in his S2000 Civic. Would be a shame to see the Honda effort end early for him. He's done the Camaro comeback already and it would seem a bit of a waste not to do anything more.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3143655)   #292
LeoncaValla
Rookie

LeoncaValla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KMS may come in WTCC for Seat Sport? Johan Kristoffersson dreams of a DTM, but it is highly unlikely. At the same time, there are links to KMS Seat Sport, for it went test driver Jordi Gené. Possible program with partial factory support.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 11:18 (Ref:3143659)   #293
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
TTA to be shown live on TV6 for the last 2 races.
TV6 channel not live stream?, would love watching TTA final race weekend, but probably do not have the possibility to stream.