Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Apr 2015, 12:25 (Ref:3525040)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bathurst Motor Festival - Easter 2016

There is some chat on the F5000 FB page that their category management has requested of CAMS the ability to race at the BMF next season...

.. and that CAMS has apparently refused on safety grounds...

With some of those 'modern' F5000s with over 600bhp (when they were at something like 450+bhp back in the day).. how fast could they go down Conrod!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Apr 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3525102)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They carry a lot of wings and nobbly bits and drag increasing systems, but even so, very fast for a lot further than they're probably intended to in one go. The Chase would be a tad interesting as well.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3525232)   #3
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The safety reasons are to do with visibility from such a low vantage point and their crashworthiness, not really the potential straightline speed.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 00:29 (Ref:3525931)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz View Post
The safety reasons are to do with visibility from such a low vantage point and their crashworthiness, not really the potential straightline speed.
Not sure about that. I'd have my eyes closed in one of those around there...

More seriously, hillclimb cars use it, albeit in the opposite direction, but I doubt that's significant. A Gould is about the same ride height as an F5000. Would agree with you on crash-worthiness, though, especially having seen the results of an off at Oulton Park last year.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 04:25 (Ref:3525946)   #5
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tone on the Fb chat indicated the barriers to the F5000 cars had more to do with politics rather than safety....
Old 11 Apr 2015, 09:32 (Ref:3525984)   #6
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The tone on the Fb chat indicated the barriers to the F5000 cars had more to do with politics rather than safety....
F3 have run there recently, and the two open wheelers share similar sight lines. I've heard a TRA is being drafted up to make this happen.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 01:28 (Ref:3526297)   #7
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
F3 have run there recently, and the two open wheelers share similar sight lines. I've heard a TRA is being drafted up to make this happen.
F3 had the same objection against it from along time ago. It was only the carbon tub and crash structures that got past that objection.

The hillclimb guys are only one car on the track. Not much danger of a car around a blind corner across the track.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 10:55 (Ref:3526973)   #8
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And Formula Fords are safer? The same sight lines and crashworthiness as far as I can see. Open wheelers were banned for good reason many years ago and suddenly selected classes are allowed back on the track.

Last edited by Casper; 13 Apr 2015 at 11:03.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 13:03 (Ref:3527023)   #9
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do we make of this proposed 6hr Production Car enduro for next year?
Old 13 Apr 2015, 23:56 (Ref:3527239)   #10
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With a good field, that'd be pretty interesting I reckon. Field size and diversity would be the key.
Old 14 Apr 2015, 03:46 (Ref:3527266)   #11
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
And Formula Fords are safer? The same sight lines and crashworthiness as far as I can see. Open wheelers were banned for good reason many years ago and suddenly selected classes are allowed back on the track.
5 year old spaceframe versus a 50 year old ally tub?
Old 14 Apr 2015, 05:05 (Ref:3527269)   #12
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Providing it doesn't come at the expense of other classes.I would imagine it might start about 12 noon Saturday with both Prodsports races on Sunday and the other classes having a 1/2 race split between Saturday and Sunday.If they reduce the number of other categories it is not a great idea.
Old 14 Apr 2015, 05:12 (Ref:3527270)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Easter is a 4 day weekend... why cant the existing program run, and a '6 hour' race enjoy the Monday for running?
Old 14 Apr 2015, 05:29 (Ref:3527271)   #14
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Easter is a 4 day weekend... why cant the existing program run, and a '6 hour' race enjoy the Monday for running?
And ask for officials that they are already struggling to get to do a 4th day ? I would have thought that the beauty of having the Monday off was to allow for the travel home day and to get back to work on Tuesday.
Old 14 Apr 2015, 06:02 (Ref:3527277)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
And ask for officials that they are already struggling to get to do a 4th day ? I would have thought that the beauty of having the Monday off was to allow for the travel home day and to get back to work on Tuesday.
I agree with you... but Bathurst isn't gazetted as a motor racing circuit too often either...
Old 15 Apr 2015, 00:54 (Ref:3527540)   #16
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
F3 had the same objection against it from along time ago. It was only the carbon tub and crash structures that got past that objection.
Interesting to hear it was the crash structures that got it past the line. I agree entirely with the potential crashworthiness of the 5000's, there are many many drivers sporting a Lola Limp from accidents back in the day.

Quote:
Fantastic idea. Give the Proddies a race at the Mountain, take them out of the 12hr and make it a GT3/4 race. Which then makes it attractive as a potential round of Blancpain or the proposed SRO Asia GT series.
Old 15 Apr 2015, 02:05 (Ref:3527557)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GREEN LIGHT FOR BATHURST EASTER 6 HOUR RACE
Old 15 Apr 2015, 06:05 (Ref:3527571)   #18
one five five
Veteran

How many years though before the Production Cars get kicked out of the Easter 6hr because they aren't popular enough and replaced by the Prodsports category ?

Car count was no problem with the production car 12hr, it was the lack of 'popularity', why will an Easter 6hr be any better?
Old 15 Apr 2015, 06:53 (Ref:3527579)   #19
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How many years though before the Production Cars get kicked out of the Easter 6hr because they aren't popular enough and replaced by the Prodsports category ?

Car count was no problem with the production car 12hr, it was the lack of 'popularity', why will an Easter 6hr be any better?
'Popularity' as in possible entrants or punters ? O'Brien said he wasn't concerned about the lack of punters at this years event as it's an event for the entrants.
Old 15 Apr 2015, 07:42 (Ref:3527586)   #20
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
'Popularity' as in possible entrants or punters ? O'Brien said he wasn't concerned about the lack of punters at this years event as it's an event for the entrants.
Finally managed to find time to catch up with everything and put a few thoughts down.

The overall crowd was very good considering the weather and locals were more than happy with the influx of people and their behaviour.

Reload, how did your first dig at officiating pan out-hope you enjoyed it and are going to back up for both events next year?

When I first started officiating we stood in the rain generally ankle deep in water and mud. Nowadays the flag points are covered to a reasonable degree and have a concrete pad to stand on but it is still a long long day..

The new start lighting signal setup proved a real boon in the wet weather and had the added advantage of being able to display other important info such as safety car,race finish,track condition, black/mechanical flag etc and driver feedback was most positive.
I wonder if Supercars will use it in October?

James has always said it is not about the crowds its about giving the lesser classes a chance to experience the place and feed back has been excellent.

Overall a great meeting with many tremendous battles and a pretty relaxed environment. Next Easter should be more than interesting with some competitors already planning for it.
Old 15 Apr 2015, 08:45 (Ref:3527593)   #21
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Finally managed to find time to catch up with everything and put a few thoughts down.

The overall crowd was very good considering the weather and locals were more than happy with the influx of people and their behaviour.

Reload, how did your first dig at officiating pan out-hope you enjoyed it and are going to back up for both events next year?

When I first started officiating we stood in the rain generally ankle deep in water and mud. Nowadays the flag points are covered to a reasonable degree and have a concrete pad to stand on but it is still a long long day..

The new start lighting signal setup proved a real boon in the wet weather and had the added advantage of being able to display other important info such as safety car,race finish,track condition, black/mechanical flag etc and driver feedback was most positive.
I wonder if Supercars will use it in October?

James has always said it is not about the crowds its about giving the lesser classes a chance to experience the place and feed back has been excellent.

Overall a great meeting with many tremendous battles and a pretty relaxed environment. Next Easter should be more than interesting with some competitors already planning for it.
I received a phone call at 3.00am on Saturday morning to be told that my young blokes appendix wanted to part with him, so I was back home by 6.30am. I'm probably going against the norm, but whilst it was great to be closer to the action and experience the officiating side of things, I'm just too big a fan of watching the actual racing side of things and being able to move around where necessary. As an example, whilst on the flags, it's bloody frustrating throwing a "blue" as they pass you, however you can't turn around to see what the end result is. I certainly have a lot more respect of what the officials put up with and full credit to them. I've already booked accommodation for both the 12hr and Easter
Old 15 Apr 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3527596)   #22
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
O'Brien said he wasn't concerned about the lack of punters at this years event as it's an event for the entrants.
When the 12hr was restarted in 2007 it was about the entrants rather than the punters as well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart
Its interesting in a way that Bathurst has gone back to its "roots" in as much as almost anyone can have a race at Bathurst these days given the variety of classes offered over the 12hr, Easter and 1000 weekend.

During the 70s (pots-1973), 80s and 90s when there was just the Bikes at Easter and the 1000 in October, as far as the cars were concerned it was a pretty exclusive club who got to race cars there....
Old 15 Apr 2015, 09:12 (Ref:3527601)   #23
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Is the introduction of the 6hr race at Easter the beginning of a tradition or is it another step into re-building bridges and getting them onto the 12hr show as a support ?
Old 15 Apr 2015, 10:27 (Ref:3527623)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Why cant the B12H & BMF operate independently, one as a professional international event, the other as a top level club event?

Convergence is not critical to the success of either one is it?
Old 15 Apr 2015, 23:40 (Ref:3527812)   #25
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love this...the BMF people, the fans and the competitors all want to continuously change things "to make them better" instead of concentrating on enjoying access to an iconic track, looking after all involved and carrying out the event in the safest possible manner to a high standard of professionalism.

PS I think F5000 should get a go, they all know the risks, they are allowed to operate at other tracks all with their own peculiarities and safety issues.