Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Oct 2007, 16:15 (Ref:2043757)   #1
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Grand Prix Historique de Provence

Is anybody planning to go to the “Grand Prix Historique de Provence” at Paul Ricard on 3rd and 4th November?

The meeting will be open to the following categories: Pre 66 GTS, pre 63 Sportscars, under 2 litres pre 66 Touring cars (U2TC), pre 71 Sportscars, GT and Touring cars, Caterham and singleseaters with treaded tyres and no wings (Formula Junior, Formula Ford, F3 etc).

Plus a three hour race on Sunday morning (like at Dijon).

No “spectators”, only “guests”.

It will be run on the 3.8 km circuit.

I will be there for the three hour race, all going well (not my car…). The organizers say they have entries from 4 Lola T70’s and 3 Ford GT40’s (including a MkII), plus loads of Chevrons.

Should be fun! I will keep you posted.

Marcus
Old 18 Oct 2007, 16:22 (Ref:2043759)   #2
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I'm there with the Corvette, Cortina and Elva in GT&SCC, U2TC and PMO three hour. Will be great.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 18:52 (Ref:2043866)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
just a tad too far for us, asides all the other normal issues, the thought of Dijon being halfway made me thing

and the stripes on the tarmac made me queezy!!!
Old 18 Oct 2007, 22:14 (Ref:2044030)   #4
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
just a tad too far for us, asides all the other normal issues, the thought of Dijon being halfway made me thing

and the stripes on the tarmac made me queezy!!!
your "race-van" on the autoroute du soleil,,,,,,piece of cake.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 09:24 (Ref:2045932)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Marcus has kept quiet on the car he is driving "GT40" Very envious but very happy for you all the same. Still up in the air if we are going. "Its Jims call " Going too keep fingers crossed.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 10:41 (Ref:2045988)   #6
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Marcus has kept quiet on the car he is driving "GT40" Very envious but very happy for you all the same. Still up in the air if we are going. "Its Jims call " Going too keep fingers crossed.
Iain you b....rd! Go and do a bit of work instead of wasting your time on the computer!

Hope you can persuade Jim to come down.
All the best.
Marcus
Old 28 Oct 2007, 09:48 (Ref:2053103)   #7
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
The car exists and we tested it on Friday at Le Luc.
A bit different from Formula Junior!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJwbjC_kFw
All the best
Marcus
Old 28 Oct 2007, 09:54 (Ref:2053109)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa
A bit different from Formula Junior! Marcus
Just a bit, Marcus! You must tell us how you got on with it; we're expecting a full report! Also, asking as an anorak, can you provide the chassis number?
Old 28 Oct 2007, 10:50 (Ref:2053145)   #9
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Just a bit, Marcus! You must tell us how you got on with it; we're expecting a full report! Also, asking as an anorak, can you provide the chassis number?
1012 maybe?
Old 28 Oct 2007, 14:46 (Ref:2053304)   #10
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Yes, chassis 1012. You will get a full report, if I survive that long!
Marcus
Old 29 Oct 2007, 17:59 (Ref:2054228)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Wow looks fantastic. Where is Le Luc. Looks like a great track. I am not going sadly Jim gone into hibernation for the winter. Brian and Barbara are there with the MGB. Is there a site we can go to keep an eye on you ?
Best of luck Marcus and yes i dont suppose the engine will rev to 9500.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 19:52 (Ref:2054319)   #12
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Le Luc is between Nice and Toulon, only about 1 hour from here. The AGS "factory" is based there as well as Zig Zag who have a race school using the latest FR cars - there were some Brits driving those on Friday – they were much quicker than us! No racing, only a test track, but a good place to go testing on the way to Monaco as it is short and twisty. Could only just get the Ford into 4th when it starts going like a Boeing getting up to speed - hope it does not take off! There is a site but not much on it for the moment, not even the entry list (they said they would send it to me tomorrow by email so I will post it).
www.gpao.fr
All the best
Marcus
Old 30 Oct 2007, 10:09 (Ref:2054715)   #13
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Not sure how this will work out, but here is the entry list for the 3 hour event:

1 Jason Wright Michael Gans Lotus 23B S2
2 Roger Wills Elva MKVII S2
3 Paul Conway Ed Mercer Morgan Plus 8 G3
4 David Clark Elva S2
5 Ivan Dutton Paul Chudecki William L'Anson Lotus Eleven S1
6 Franck Sytner John Clark Lola T70 S3
7 Marc Devis Guy Peeters Elva MK8 S2
8 Leo Voyazides John Young Lola T70 S2
9 Jean Louis Granier Benoit Fontenel Lotus Elan G2
10 Bernard Tcherniavsky Didier Mantz Thierry Gallo Lotus 23B S2
11 Yves Saguato Marcus Mussa Ford GT40 MK II S2
12 Michel Quiniou Philippe Bermudes Chevron B16 S3
14 Stefano Rosina Lola T70 S3
15 Jacques Besse Laurent Verzeaux Porsche 911 G3
16 Damien Kohler Louis Zurstrassen Diva F10 G2
19 Chris Chiles Chris Chiles Jnr Chevron B8 S3
21 Andrew Owen Mark Owen Elva MK VII S2
23 Gérard Delprat Fabrice Bernard Lotus 23B S2
24 Nick Linney Simon Hadfield Lola T70 MKII S2
26 Michel Wanty Van de Waumer Lotus 23 S2
27 Carol Quiniou Rick Carlino Lotus 23B S2
34 Andrew Schryver James Schryver Chevron B8 S3
37 Jerry Hooper Chevron B8 S3
39 Sylvain Stepak Stephane Ortelli Alpine Renault A220 S3
49 Michael Schryver Simon Hadfield Chevron B6 S3
51 Luc Deneve Serge Brison Elva MK VII S2
52 Christiaen Van Lanschot Karsten Le Blanc Austin Healey 3000MKI G2
58 Henri Stepak Philppe Gaso Alpine Renault A210 S3
67 Bernard Wilhelm Jean-Yves Grandidier Jaguar Type E G2
70 Gabriel Kremer Dion Kremer Elva MK8 S2
81 Chris Beighton Jon Finemore Lola T70 S3
124 Mark Clubb Martin Stretton Elva MK7 S2
126 Malcolm Verey Mark Grifiths Marcus Pye Ford Mustang T2
134 Jean Michel Guermonprez Michel Guermonprez Grac MT14S S3

Marcus
Old 31 Oct 2007, 07:32 (Ref:2055599)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great looking entry list there, including several 10-Tenthers, so looking forward to some personal accounts, not only from Marcus, but Roger, Simon and James, and those are just the ones I have spotted quickly. Good to see Martin Stretton back behind the wheel and would also be interested in the pace of the Chris Beighton/Jon Finnimore T70; only its 2nd outing I believe since its refurbishment.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 07:33 (Ref:2059107)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
given MST doesnt cover your meeting it would be great to have some news as to how you are all getting on.....!
Old 4 Nov 2007, 18:10 (Ref:2059413)   #16
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
When I left, about half way through the race, Sytner/Bellm (!) were leading from Linney/Hadfield and Schryver/Hadfield. I think the Chevron was even leading as it did not need to stop as often as the Lola. But I do not know the result.
Our Ford broke its gearbox in the first (untimed) practice session!
Wills seemed to be going strong.
The Beighton/Finemore Lola was out after 5 laps, it had qualified 3rd.
I must say the track and facilities are absolutely fantastic – it is like going to a golf club – and the weather was glorious.
Here are some photos:

Alpine Renault A220 (qualified 2nd – Stephane Ortelli driving)

Jean Guichet Alfa SZ

Mauro Bianchi having a look at our Ford (his brother drove it in 1966), Jean Silani on left (the man who designed the Mygale JS series Formula Ford cars – he did our set up – not that it did much good)

Few single seaters, however they included the ex-Bruno Deserti Lotus 27 (Michel Wanty). This car won the Junior class at Coys Silverstone in 1995, driven by yours truly!
All the best
Marcus
Old 4 Nov 2007, 19:01 (Ref:2059455)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to hear you had a troubled weekend - I think every driver on this board knows that feeling of dissapointment! That Alfa Romeo SZ is gorgeous - it looks like a cross between an SZ and a TZ - is it a one off?
Old 4 Nov 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2059621)   #18
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Sorry to hear you had a troubled weekend - I think every driver on this board knows that feeling of dissapointment! That Alfa Romeo SZ is gorgeous - it looks like a cross between an SZ and a TZ - is it a one off?
I think it is the version of the Giulietta SZ called "Coda Tronca" (1960), as opposed to "Coda Tonda".
Old 4 Nov 2007, 22:02 (Ref:2059630)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Marcus, very bad luck with the broken g/box. Also a shame about the Beighton/Finnemore T70. Many thanks for reporting back and the pics.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 10:26 (Ref:2059983)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
that is a tasty alfa

no doubt panels for that are falling off the shelves by the dozen!

How Did Roger get on ?
Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:03 (Ref:2060130)   #21
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is indeed an SZ Coda Tronca (literally 'chopped tail').

Rarer than 'my' coda tonda (out of 210-ish SZs, only approx. 30 were Coda Tronca).Made from '61-'62, it was more stable (and slightly faster) than the round tail at speed (and was particularly suited to Daytona and Le Mans), and was a test bed for ideas used in the TZ of 1963. I believe Julian Majzub has just bought one, ostensibly to do the LMC next year.

Here endeth the lesson......

Sorry to bore - there's not many things I know about!

James

P.S. Of course like most SZs, there are more 'surviving' than originally made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble

Last edited by SZRacer; 5 Nov 2007 at 13:05.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:34 (Ref:2060167)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
informative post Simon, thanks (said in a Cholmondeley Warner stylee)

so like LC's and GTA's survivors outnumber production by approx 3:2 !!!
Old 5 Nov 2007, 14:01 (Ref:2060200)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

thanks for that James - the only ones I have seen before were like yours (ie yours, Nicks, the guy who used to live near me who raced against you when you had that long Alfa and Carols!). Do they all run 1600 or 1300's and if 1600 are they the GTA head or normal sprint gt head? sorry to sound technical but I think it is gorgeous - as you say like a baby TZ
Old 5 Nov 2007, 14:20 (Ref:2060272)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I can hear Simons brain whirring

'if I get a bonus and one comes up, can I slip it past the mk1 transit, into the garage without the wife seeing'
Old 5 Nov 2007, 14:23 (Ref:2060274)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I can hear Simons brain whirring

'if I get a bonus and one comes up, can I slip it past the mk1 transit, into the garage without the wife seeing'
I have googled them already - there arent any for sale!!!!!!!!