Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 22 Jun 2016, 15:08 (Ref:3654467)   #476
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
No, times have changed, globalized world has changed, expectations for accuracy and delivery of information have changed particularly due to overflow of sources now available. Plus of course they were the only party to make such error (no matter what the circumstances might have been). That's why they are taking the flame. Simple as that.

Of course there was lots of positives throughout, but just as with Toyota retiring at the end, I suspect many are gonna remember this over what else was achieved during the week in their case.

Oddly enough I have had not one single message, email, phone call or anything else, anywhere, making that point. Because people understand that we were responding to the information we had.

Is it something that could be improved in future? Yes

Is that being attended to? Yes

Did it materially affect the enjoyment of the race, and the drama at the end for anyone listening? - Well no it didn't

Because if they were listening to us then they weren't listening to other media that had that vital snippet of info to (partially) explain what was going on.

They lived the drama with us as we were living it. And as we worked out what was going on - And we got there relatively quickly despite not having the info.

The massive drama was playing out on the track - not in the RLM studio!
Old 22 Jun 2016, 15:20 (Ref:3654472)   #477
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Oddly enough I have had not one single message, email, phone call or anything else, anywhere, making that point. Because people understand that we were responding to the information we had.

Did it materially affect the enjoyment of the race, and the drama at the end for anyone listening? - Well no it didn't

Because if they were listening to us then they weren't listening to other media that had that vital snippet of info to (partially) explain what was going on.

They lived the drama with us as we were living it. And as we worked out what was going on - And we got there relatively quickly despite not having the info.

This is just as subjective opinion as anyones here.

Anyway even by "just listening to you" they technically they could have got the info by having natural sounds video feed or race control feed or some other source and RLM just as external overlay audio on top (like many do with the likes of ES Player etc), but whatever.

But oh well, no reason to keep arguing, it is what it is.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 17:41 (Ref:3654495)   #478
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post

It's interesting - for me the fact that RLM were as perplexed etc as I was added to my enjoyment and made the whole last couple of laps memorable.

Horses for courses obviously, but not something that caused problems for me.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 17:52 (Ref:3654497)   #479
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do we think they're gonna keep that audio bit for the official ACO Duke DVD/Bluray though? It may not work there as well as you think when everybody already knows what happens...

That's one of the stranger aspects by the way, that ACO is (in these last few years) have been willing to use RLM audio in the official reviews, but not in the WEC paywall stream...
Old 22 Jun 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3654509)   #480
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Do we think they're gonna keep that audio bit for the official ACO Duke DVD/Bluray though? It may not work there as well as you think when everybody already knows what happens...

That's one of the stranger aspects by the way, that ACO is (in these last few years) have been willing to use RLM audio in the official reviews, but not in the WEC paywall stream...
Genuine question: Are you ever happy?
Old 22 Jun 2016, 19:25 (Ref:3654517)   #481
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valedave View Post
Genuine question: Are you ever happy?
If you only cherry-pick to notice the negative comments, of course it seems that way

And even the post you quoted wasn't one lol, it was genuine question as well.

Brutal realism can be brutal.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3654539)   #482
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I noticed that the reception of the RLM signal was significantly improved this year at Mulsanne and Arnage. Usually it falls out a lot, but this year it was pure. Greatly appreciated.

To the general coverage, first of a huge applaud to Trussers (Paul Truswell) for his job. His statistics really keeps ads a lot of value to the die hard on-track spectator.
On the order side, large parts of Hindhaughs comment were useless and sometimes directly annoying for me. However I respect that Hindhaughs job is probably not to entertain the die hards like this forum, but the casual fans.
Which is something I really respect with the RLM crew, they are a broad mix who can entertain the relative broad spectrum of fans attending Le Mans.
With Trussers, Graham Goodwin and Sam Collins being the ones I enjoy the most. (no offence to the rest)
Old 22 Jun 2016, 21:42 (Ref:3654548)   #483
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valedave View Post
Reminds me of this cartoon:

There are way more suitable threads for this
Old 22 Jun 2016, 22:08 (Ref:3654551)   #484
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
On the order side, large parts of Hindhaughs comment were useless and sometimes directly annoying for me. However I respect that Hindhaughs job is probably not to entertain the die hards like this forum, but the casual fans.
Good to see someone gets it. Mind, even casuals would probably have spotted the #5's problem given the race feed!

On the subject of Sam Collins, did he pull an extra shift this year? I normally drop off during the sunrise hours so it could be me actually listening to his slots live this time, but it seemed like he was on for most of the evening as usual and that he then did most of the morning as well.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 22:21 (Ref:3654554)   #485
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
On the subject of Sam Collins, did he pull an extra shift this year?
Yep, although less time (sadly) alongside Jim. Hopefully that can be fixed next year, with 'The Baron' retiring from commentating at Le Mans. The Sam and Jim slots are without doubt my favourites
Old 22 Jun 2016, 22:21 (Ref:3654555)   #486
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes. It was remarked on and he said he enjoyed the extra time.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 06:24 (Ref:3654604)   #487
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Brutal realism can be brutal.
Brutal realism can be tempered to even-keeled realism by some positive realism. And in the sportscar world, a bout of positive realism can be triggered by a trip to Le Mans.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 10:47 (Ref:3654629)   #488
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think having Sam Collins is always a bonus; adds so much to the already great coverage.
As a WRC fan, the kind of info provided is night & day competed to what we get in rallying; for instance I’d never known that the Toyota programmes are financed from R&D, rather than marketing…..
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:05 (Ref:3654647)   #489
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post

Interestingly, the RLM signal seems to reach a lot further south (ie. whilst on the drive to Chartre-sur-le-loir) than it does north (out towards St. Saturnin) - something to do with the direction the transmitter is aimed?

We had an absolutely perfect signal in St Saturnin - the first time I recall it being that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Every year I struggle to understand how something which improved my enjoyment of my trip so much can be so heavily criticised.
Absolutely agree. 100%.

Quote:
No, times have changed, globalized world has changed, expectations for accuracy and delivery of information have changed particularly due to overflow of sources now available. Plus of course they were the only party to make such error (no matter what the circumstances might have been). That's why they are taking the flame. Simple as that.

Of course there was lots of positives throughout, but just as with Toyota retiring at the end, I suspect many are gonna remember this over what else was achieved during the week in their case.
You really think so? Only those with half-empty glasses will dwell on it, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
There are way more suitable threads for this

Only most of the threads on this board......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Brutal realism can be tempered to even-keeled realism by some positive realism. And in the sportscar world, a bout of positive realism can be triggered by a trip to Le Mans.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 23 Jun 2016 at 12:11.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 13:22 (Ref:3654675)   #490
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I enjoyed the RLM broadcasts. Sometimes I feel JH can go a bit too effusive with praise then like a pendulum go on his hyperopinionated uberrants. But I wouldn't have him any other way than opinionated, so it's all cool.

For me the Nissan infomercials of a few years ago marred the coverage. None of that this year. The sponsors blended in very smoothly.

The last ten minutes? Well, I dunno. I am of the school of thought that thinks the sport is too rigorously dissected. Mind you, I wouldn't do without my timing sheets -- nor without my on-board cams - but I like a little bit of mystery and intrigue and certainly listening to the RLM crew's attempts to make sense of that last 10 minutes I got my moneys worth on that score that's for sure!
Old 23 Jun 2016, 18:07 (Ref:3654737)   #491
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I enjoyed listening to RLM pretty much this year and yes,the signal this year was the best ever.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3654755)   #492
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Agreed the signal this year was much better than previous years, the camp radio just had to be turned on and we did not have to keep moving it around like last year
Old 23 Jun 2016, 19:42 (Ref:3654761)   #493
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dead set.....the *****ing and moaning by a few here about the RLM broadcast amazes me. If you don't like it, switch off. I'm a fan, imo they do things very well. Their comms add something to the racing. Hindy's exuberance is one of the things that I like about RLM, plus he has Goodwin and Trusswell there to keep it all together. They're a great team. Has any of the whingers actually tried commentary. It ain't easy!
Sure, there are the occasional mistakes made. They're human, like the rest of us.
Old 24 Jun 2016, 01:28 (Ref:3654799)   #494
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Dead set.....the *****ing and moaning by a few here about the RLM broadcast amazes me. If you don't like it, switch off. I'm a fan, imo they do things very well. Their comms add something to the racing. Hindy's exuberance is one of the things that I like about RLM, plus he has Goodwin and Trusswell there to keep it all together. They're a great team. Has any of the whingers actually tried commentary. It ain't easy!
Sure, there are the occasional mistakes made. They're human, like the rest of us.
Of course it isn't but these are professionals.

And in any case that's the oldest counter criticism argument in the book, "you couldn't do it yourself so shut up with your opinions" Yes I'm sure we could say the same about failed heart surgery or whatever if we went down that road.

Many times you see people, often those in love with RLM, mocking down Eurosport commentary without remorse (justified or not). Then when same happens with RLM (again justified or not) you get huge outcry for being nitpicky and moany. But it goes two ways. People have different opinions, not everyone sees the services the same way.

Everyone working in public media should know and accept that their work is under scrutiny, especially today with wide access. And live with it.

Anyway, I think this is gonna be one of those cases where people in many years to come will still stumble upon those final minutes and keep flooding the comment sections (on youtube for example) with frustrated comments on why they could be so wrong about the situation. Not everyone is gonna be uber informed on the circumstances. I think it might have negative effect on things. And for that I hope the "issues" will get "fixed" in due time (judging by GG's comments they probably will).

Don't hate me
Old 24 Jun 2016, 09:39 (Ref:3654859)   #495
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Of course it isn't but these are professionals.

And in any case that's the oldest counter criticism argument in the book, "you couldn't do it yourself so shut up with your opinions" Yes I'm sure we could say the same about failed heart surgery or whatever if we went down that road.

Many times you see people, often those in love with RLM, mocking down Eurosport commentary without remorse (justified or not). Then when same happens with RLM (again justified or not) you get huge outcry for being nitpicky and moany. But it goes two ways. People have different opinions, not everyone sees the services the same way.

Everyone working in public media should know and accept that their work is under scrutiny, especially today with wide access. And live with it.

Anyway, I think this is gonna be one of those cases where people in many years to come will still stumble upon those final minutes and keep flooding the comment sections (on youtube for example) with frustrated comments on why they could be so wrong about the situation. Not everyone is gonna be uber informed on the circumstances. I think it might have negative effect on things. And for that I hope the "issues" will get "fixed" in due time (judging by GG's comments they probably will).

Don't hate me
Wow....
Don't get off your bike. There's no hatred, just a difference of opinion. It is a forum for peoples differing opinions.
I didn't actually say "so shut up with your opinions".
Sorry if it was interpreted as such.
Old 25 Jun 2016, 12:37 (Ref:3655027)   #496
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Again, I think this is highly unlikely. No-one will remember it, probably apart from me, as I shall listen to the full commentary several times before next year's race. Everyone will remember what happened, of course, but not what the RLM commentators said about it, because the bottom line is that it just doesn't matter now.....
Old 25 Jun 2016, 13:42 (Ref:3655038)   #497
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Again, I think this is highly unlikely. No-one will remember it, probably apart from me, as I shall listen to the full commentary several times before next year's race. Everyone will remember what happened, of course, but not what the RLM commentators said about it, because the bottom line is that it just doesn't matter now.....
Look at the comments section
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqL8ov6MaEk
Old 25 Jun 2016, 16:15 (Ref:3655052)   #498
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But who really gives a stuff about comments on Youtube?
Old 25 Jun 2016, 17:11 (Ref:3655062)   #499
Deleted
Veteran

Even if dumb, they reflect the opinions on mass crowds better than some niche specialist forums and circles me thinks. And that's the "target group" I've been referring all along, the masses

Whatever, I think we've pretty much uncovered everything there is to say by now, let us agree to disagree
Old 26 Jun 2016, 11:03 (Ref:3655193)   #500
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, I can easily live with that!