Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Jun 2017, 16:40 (Ref:3745252)   #526
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought the commentary was great this year, and I actually used the studio video broadcast as my audio instead of the dedicated audio stream. I didn't see the point of streaming the studio at first, but ended up checking in on them regularly.

I loved Paul's headlamp during the night, and I feel like he is the most important part of their team. Not only did he stay awake the entire time following all 4classes with great detail, but he stood nearly the entire time!
Old 19 Jun 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3745254)   #527
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The adverts and sponsors blended well into the broadcast this year -- which hadn't been the case when Nissan was prominent. No infomercials unconvincingly masquerading as interviews either. So good work from RML this year..
Old 19 Jun 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3745264)   #528
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Sounds like Sam Collins once again got the exciting bit of the early night shift, as he mentioned at the meetup.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3745274)   #529
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The adverts and sponsors blended well into the broadcast this year -- which hadn't been the case when Nissan was prominent. No infomercials unconvincingly masquerading as interviews either. So good work from RML this year..
Agreed, the adverts did not bother me much this year. I even looked at that Motortrend thing!
Old 19 Jun 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3745289)   #530
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The production was dreadful with the adverts and sound clips. Really amateur. It was more the timing of them, rather than the sound levels this year. They kept cutting across people or were the wrong ones!

Still, as we mentioned before the race, I have affection for the ameteurness.

Good coverage, I enjoyed it.

In a suggestion for improvement. There needs to be more concentration on the action. It's not so much the rant that is annoying rather how it can get in the way of following what's going on.

Also the lap guide was good, but that should have been a lot earlier in the coverage. I wanted real build up then. I guess it is prime partner promotion slot.

As I say, top stuff.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 18:38 (Ref:3745305)   #531
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The production was dreadful with the adverts and sound clips. Really amateur. It was more the timing of them, rather than the sound levels this year. They kept cutting across people or were the wrong ones!
Were you listening to the same station? RLM doesn't have adverts, and hasn't for over a decade.

Quote:
Also the lap guide was good, but that should have been a lot earlier in the coverage. I wanted real build up then. I guess it is prime partner promotion slot.
What build-up can you do on the formation lap?
There's no action on track, and you can't talk to the drivers. I think that's the perfect time to describe the lap.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3745317)   #532
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree on the lap description. Hours of build up and it's put in there. There's no on track action for hours and they did lots of brilliant build up. The lap description was oddly placed.

There are adverts on RLM. They're just motorsport orientated. "Hi I'm Aston Martin works driver Darren Turner". I didn't mind the ads. Volume levels were off for a while but that got sorted. Didn't bother me at all.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3745319)   #533
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
...RLM doesn't have adverts, and hasn't for over a decade...
They do, however, have a large number of partners sponsoring every regular part of the broadcast, with plenty of pre-recorded jingles.

It would be churlish to criticise such things as they keep the content free for us end-users, plus there is extra amusement to be gained from such things as Darren Turner's 'simerlator' voice over.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 19:09 (Ref:3745320)   #534
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Were you listening to the same station? RLM doesn't have adverts, and hasn't for over a decade.
Yes, I know. Ah, *reminiscing about how my baby makes me go brim brum*
I mean the jingles describing the partner, the weather, Darren Turner's garages*. Etc...
Sorry I didn't describe it better, but I guessed people would get what I was referring to. My bad. What are sponsored link jingles actually called in the media?

So yes, I was listening to the same station as you.

Quote:
What build-up can you do on the formation lap?
There's no action on track, and you can't talk to the drivers. I think that's the perfect time to describe the lap.
Plenty to talk about and plenty to talk to. I guess, as I know the track being a seasoned follower, for me I wanted to hear something about what was going on.

However for the advertiser, or partner as they've been called for over a decade , gets more coverage if it is just before. So fair play, they need to fund the station so we can all listen for free.

To be clear, I really liked the coverage.

*i have requested and got their catalogue delivered today. And I do know they aren't Turner's actual garages.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3745817)   #535
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sounds like Sam Collins once again got the exciting bit of the early night shift, as he mentioned at the meetup
I told you so.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3745818)   #536
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
2. Sam Collins is black. I did not know that until this race.
Bit of a mix, half Nigerian, and eighth German and the rest basically a small area between Hitchin & Cranfield!
Old 21 Jun 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3745822)   #537
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
And i thought you were the one with the fuzzy hair.

Sam please pass on the thanks of all of us on Ten-tenths for all the work RLM do to make the race and the event what it is, the greatest race in the world.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3745825)   #538
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
3. Paul Truswell is a true endurance geek, the biggest I have ever seen. How does he stay up for more than 24 hours I don't know!
He is actually a walking talking computer brain... that head torch? a battery. True story.

Quote:
RLM must have some sophisticated equipment in their studio. How the heck they get that. I was amazed that Leena Gade came into the studio on her own to check it out because she was bored by the standard live timing, video, etc.
RSL is a fully equipped radio production company, can do a lot more than that too. The data in the studio is great, hence Leena's regular visits.

Quote:
Who was the woman with the glasses who was on there during the middle portions of the race?
That was Gemski. Works with Racecar Engineering, ex Manor F1 and Pirelli F1. Has worked in BTCC too. She has been part of the RCE team for ages. You may be seeing more of her soon!
Old 21 Jun 2017, 17:30 (Ref:3745830)   #539
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Bit of a mix, half Nigerian, and eighth German and the rest basically a small area between Hitchin & Cranfield!
You can get cream for that.

Oh, *Hitchin*. Gotcha

In other news, thanks to you and the rest of the crew for your stupendously hard work over the course of the weekend. One day I'll be listening at the circuit rather than at home!
Old 21 Jun 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3745838)   #540
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He is actually a walking talking computer brain... that head torch? a battery. True story.

RSL is a fully equipped radio production company, can do a lot more than that too. The data in the studio is great, hence Leena's regular visits.

That was Gemski. Works with Racecar Engineering, ex Manor F1 and Pirelli F1. Has worked in BTCC too. She has been part of the RCE team for ages. You may be seeing more of her soon!
I enjoyed the Q&A session you did during the event even though mine didn't make it to the broadcast. I did miss Roller though as I have to concentrate to hear certain dialects after several adult beverages. That's a problem for my dumbass to sort out in the future!

Yes, more Gemma please
Old 21 Jun 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3745856)   #541
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Thanks for the work Sam.

Probably not possible: But Studio Vision, or an equally easy way of syncing RLM (with the background racing sounds) to a video stream would be much appreciated. With the WEC Stream being significantly worse in quality, RLM is a must now, but it is quite hard to get a nice audio feed with the all important ambient noise, and have it synced.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3745861)   #542
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gemma was excellent, though a bit shy at first! But good knowledge and a pleasant voice.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 01:12 (Ref:3745891)   #543
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Wow is this THE Sam Collins? God emporer of racecar engineering and radio Le Mans! I did not expect a reply. I am a Joe Schmo race fan in the USA myself. Thank you for your commentary which was great. Which races are next for you in the next few weeks?
Old 22 Jun 2017, 03:35 (Ref:3745904)   #544
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Thanks for the work Sam.

Probably not possible: But Studio Vision, or an equally easy way of syncing RLM (with the background racing sounds) to a video stream would be much appreciated. With the WEC Stream being significantly worse in quality, RLM is a must now, but it is quite hard to get a nice audio feed with the all important ambient noise, and have it synced.
Here's an idea: Youtube stream of the normal audio feed with the race time in the picture. Rest of the picture can be a static RLM logo, no need for studio cams per se.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3746012)   #545
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Here's an idea: Youtube stream of the normal audio feed with the race time in the picture. Rest of the picture can be a static RLM logo, no need for studio cams per se.
So what are you trying to say - that we aren't attractive enough - fair comment on Sam (obviously!) but the rest of us are close to model standard!
Old 22 Jun 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3746017)   #546
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Wow is this THE Sam Collins? God emporer of racecar engineering and radio Le Mans! I did not expect a reply. I am a Joe Schmo race fan in the USA myself. Thank you for your commentary which was great. Which races are next for you in the next few weeks?
If you visit the Tenths meeting thread, you can see Sam in one of my videos..... Sam is a great supporter of Tenths and has often given us mentions in the commentary over the years......
Old 22 Jun 2017, 12:18 (Ref:3746019)   #547
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
So what are you trying to say - that we aren't attractive enough - fair comment on Sam (obviously!) but the rest of us are close to model standard!

Like this one......?

Model Standard
Old 22 Jun 2017, 12:51 (Ref:3746035)   #548
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Like this one......?

Model Standard
Looks a bit too perfect for my liking!
Old 22 Jun 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3746053)   #549
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Haha, if you want to do a studio cam every race then none of us will complain about see Sams fro and Trussers fashionable headgear.

I gathered that the studio cam is basically run by Nick Damon (hence the RC Racing YouTube), so if Nick isn't at an event, then it cannot be run. But short of studio cam I do think the idea of a YouTube audio stream with ambient track sounds and race time is a great solution. I've missed attending Le Mans for 2-3 years now, but from my time viewing, this year was by far my favorite, and that purely was because the studio cam allowed for absolutely perfect sound syncing, without losing the 'feeling' that trackside camera sounds take away. I'd love that for the rest of the WEC season!
Old 22 Jun 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3746056)   #550
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
If you visit the Tenths meeting thread, you can see Sam in one of my videos..... Sam is a great supporter of Tenths and has often given us mentions in the commentary over the years......
Well I am grateful for that! It certainly gives off the feeling that those guys in the booth doing the race are you buddies rather than just some distant commentator like you get when you watch a football game for a major network. Sam as well as Graham looks to be on the forum too.

Also that's great for guys like myself who do not use twitter as I know RadioLemans.com and imsa radio rely heavily on that for user input during the event itself. I never get to put my two cents in on spirit of the race. I would have voted for Paul Truswell for spirit of the race at Le Mans myself. I thought that would ok to do since Rooftop Ray got it on one of the Daytona 24's a couple years back. If you HAD to pick an on track competitor, my vote would go to the #63 Corvette team.