Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Jun 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3831464)   #576
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I probably listened to less rlm this year than many years past but not by choice, so I missed the opinions.

However, it is an opinionated world and everyone has a perceived voice through social media and other avenues. So when it comes time to sit back and try to enjoy a motor racing event, show, game or the like, listening to a network or radio station that is providing us with the information of said event, it can become quite tiresome to hear a "talk show" with strong opinions. While I feel there's a different time and place for that, it's the world we live. We can either choose not listen or inform said entity that we don't appreciate what they're doing.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3831487)   #577
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love RLM and all the people who work so hard to provide that service. They were brilliant, particularly Johnny and as ever Nick, Joe and Shea in the pits. I miss Jim more and more as the years go by. His late evening or early hours stints with Sam Collins were some of the best bits of motorsport radio I can remember. Soundtracks to those Audi/Peugeot and Toyota heartbreak moments.

The final-hour ranting (and usually it is in the final hour, or at least in the closing stages) about penalties/BoP/stint lengths/driver standards/whatever is annoying and unnecessary.

Everyone's tired and emotional at the end of Le Mans – I was out my seat pointing and gesticulating as Mako weaved to and fro down the Mulsanne – but sometimes it's a shame for the coverage of such a great race to end on such a note.

Maybe it might be a good idea to leave such topics for PRT, especially as your average fan at the circuit isn't going to know or care about the subject matter.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3831488)   #578
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The fact is that we know who sprays most of the 'soap' on RLM. Prejudices have become more evident over the last few years and while I'm happy for anyone to express their opinion, I don't want it rammed down my throat constantly. We all know that there were very clear and obviousl broadcasting influences throughout the Audi heydays, but it's no good saying 'I respect your opinion' when you clearly don't…..
I really struggle with this. We know the history, respect how we have got to where we are and are very grateful for being lucky to have this service. For free!

However it is such a shame that it can turn out such utter rubbish. It is a shame that the production ban be so second rate. It is a shame that sometimes it is like listening to the bloke who has had one too many down the pub.

This isn’t the only thing, or even the main thing, but the Alonso ranting was a perfect example. In the end they became worse than the problem they were whinging about. There was a chance to rise above it, but that was lost.
There was enjoyment and celebration there, but no they had to be “clever” and cynical.

It was summed up for me when it was announced “my job is to contrary”. Not for the sake of it it isn’t. Concentrate on informative and interesting. Added value? None.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3831489)   #579
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In conclusion
Old 17 Jun 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3831490)   #580
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not typing a full post on a phone but a mention should go to Nick Daman. He's absolutely brilliant. Yes he has a rant too but seems to know the limit. His pit reporting skills are fantastic and his grid walks at Creventic are often more popular than the racing. Huge fan of Nick.

I like Shea but she does fall into that weird American thing where everything needs a heart warming story and some personal context about it. NASCAR takes it to the extreme where the whole final lap is dedicated to telling you about the drivers wife's cousins dog who died 6 years to the day and this is redemption. Shea does a little bit of that and it's really cliché. Otherwise, she's really good. Diana is great as well.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3831491)   #581
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm not typing a full post on a phone but a mention should go to Nick Daman. He's absolutely brilliant. Yes he has a rant too but seems to know the limit. His pit reporting skills are fantastic and his grid walks at Creventic are often more popular than the racing. Huge fan of Nick.

Agreed. He always asks one more question than appears, at first, to be necessary and seems to push drivers into a corner right at the very edge of their comfort zone (in terms of what they're willing to disclose).
Old 17 Jun 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3831494)   #582
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
There are a lot of great things. Nick is getting a little more room each year and it is a good thing. The odd rant is not a problem, arguably it adds, but when it becomes, well predictable, unfounded, and...
Old 17 Jun 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3831498)   #583
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

I like Shea but she does fall into that weird American thing where everything needs a heart warming story and some personal context about it. NASCAR takes it to the extreme where the whole final lap is dedicated to telling you about the drivers wife's cousins dog who died 6 years to the day and this is redemption. Shea does a little bit of that and it's really cliché. Otherwise, she's really good. Diana is great as well.
Nick is great and quite entertaining all around. Jim Roller never did that "Shea" shyte so let's leave the generalizations aside, please.

That said, Shea has improved greatly as a pit reporter over the years but it feels a little "forced" for her in the booth, like she's trying too hard to be something shes not.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 21:53 (Ref:3831499)   #584
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
who got spirit of the race?
Old 17 Jun 2018, 21:58 (Ref:3831503)   #585
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Hindy's opinions have the added benefit of usually being right. It's a truism that the vast majority who agree with him are happy to remain quietly appreciative while the few who hold strongly opposed opinions are demonstrative and therefore more likely to make themselves heard....
Old 17 Jun 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3831505)   #586
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
That said, Shea has improved greatly as a pit reporter over the years but it feels a little "forced" for her in the booth, like she's trying too hard to be something shes not.
Feel completely the opposite and thought she was fantastic in the booth (and not the biggest fan of her's when she is in the pits). Maybe I prefer her style of lead host where she directed the conversation.

About advertising, as has been mentioned we know that they have to have adverts to fund the station and don't mind how blatant they are. Is it better to want to go to Silverstone now and not know why that thought is in your head or to want to go and know it's because RLM kept mentioning it ever hour?

As for the rest of the line up, we all have our own preferences in style (as evidenced by my views on Shea) but as long as they have a wide mix of people and don't all have the same style of presenting then I'll keep listening
Old 17 Jun 2018, 22:07 (Ref:3831506)   #587
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giba View Post
Feel completely the opposite and thought she was fantastic in the booth (and not the biggest fan of her's when she is in the pits). Maybe I prefer her style of lead host where she directed the conversation.

About advertising, as has been mentioned we know that they have to have adverts to fund the station and don't mind how blatant they are. Is it better to want to go to Silverstone now and not know why that thought is in your head or to want to go and know it's because RLM kept mentioning it ever hour?

As for the rest of the line up, we all have our own preferences in style (as evidenced by my views on Shea) but as long as they have a wide mix of people and don't all have the same style of presenting then I'll keep listening
Fair points on Shea and I too like the differing personalities as long as they are all nice to Paul Trusswell during their stint in his booth
Old 17 Jun 2018, 22:17 (Ref:3831510)   #588
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Quote:
Fair points on Shea and I too like the differing personalities as long as they are all nice to Paul Trusswell during their stint in his booth
Haha that's something I think everyone can agree on!
Old 17 Jun 2018, 22:30 (Ref:3831512)   #589
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Also, favourite part of the commentary was when Mowlem was in the booth. Great pundit and him and Hindy discussing the driver rating system was fantastic and made myself think about the system long after it was over
Old 18 Jun 2018, 01:18 (Ref:3831522)   #590
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Did you catch when Paul said he only got out of his seat twice during the entire race to use the facilities? That is an amazing feat!
Old 18 Jun 2018, 02:16 (Ref:3831529)   #591
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giba View Post
I agree with this! I feel in the pits she seems to think she has to act... uhm.... 'American' for lack of a better term. While I think in the booth she seems more like herself.

My favorite parts were of course Nick's stints in the pitlane.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 03:41 (Ref:3831538)   #592
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
I agree with this! I feel in the pits she seems to think she has to act... uhm.... 'American' for lack of a better term. While I think in the booth she seems more like herself.
This is hilarious as I see it as the complete opposite. Good news is between us both, she's 100% good.

Or 0%....
Old 18 Jun 2018, 03:42 (Ref:3831539)   #593
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Did you catch when Paul said he only got out of his seat twice during the entire race to use the facilities? That is an amazing feat!
That's crazy!!!! I went more times in an hour....
Old 18 Jun 2018, 03:47 (Ref:3831540)   #594
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
This is hilarious as I see it as the complete opposite. Good news is between us both, she's 100% good.

Or 0%....
That's quite funny! Different viewpoints from different sides of the Atlantic I guess
Old 18 Jun 2018, 03:52 (Ref:3831541)   #595
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Went way over his mandated stint length! Someone at ACO should look at that

And somehow I got this weird idea of going to Silverstone and building a garage...
Old 18 Jun 2018, 07:04 (Ref:3831562)   #596
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
who got spirit of the race?
There wasn't a SOTR, instead they had a sponsored 'Moment' of the race - but I didn't hear what won it. For me, Nakajima crossing the finishing line....
Old 18 Jun 2018, 07:10 (Ref:3831565)   #597
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I believe you can still vote on that and it will be revealed at the next MWM.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 07:13 (Ref:3831566)   #598
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Hindy's opinions have the added benefit of usually being right. It's a truism that the vast majority who agree with him are happy to remain quietly appreciative while the few who hold strongly opposed opinions are demonstrative and therefore more likely to make themselves heard....
Not me. For example his BoP rants are particularly annoying and I essentially agree with him. However it never does the subject justice as it is a rant and misses out on important aspects of the debate.

Then there are the preconceived ideas and biases that blight the commentary. Ironically I’ve already ranted on this elsewhere.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 07:13 (Ref:3831567)   #599
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I believe you can still vote on that and it will be revealed at the next MWM.
OK. Seems a shame not to have it decided immediately after the race, particularly as I don't listen to MWM anyway.....
Old 18 Jun 2018, 07:15 (Ref:3831568)   #600
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm with you on the rants Adam, I find myself saying 'Give it a rest' far more often these days. It doesn't matter how much Hindy rants, he's not going to change anything other than his blood pressure. He needs to pack a few more chill pills..... Sometimes you just have to enjoy it for what it is.