Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Feb 2017, 00:13 (Ref:3710586)   #2151
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course he's right. We all here totally agree the the new rules won't fix the problem.
And I agree with Max, faster isn't better (except you do need to faster than your supports which are feeder to you) but being able to set up a pass or pass a back marker are important. And no I don't want to see draft wars, get enough of that online, thank you.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 08:15 (Ref:3710642)   #2152
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is often said that Formula One needs more mechanical grip, at least in relative terms. However, one cannot expect this to happen when teams still compete in respect to their aerodynamics on one hand and tires are standardized on the other – and logically exploited in an attempt to artificially ‘spice up’ the racing, something for which Max Mosley is most responsible.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 09:05 (Ref:3710650)   #2153
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think widening the cars was a good move, it creates more drag, decreases the weight transfer in corners and provides a more stable car. Widening the tyres again, a good move, though i'd have concentrated more on the rear tyres, I think the fronts were ok in their width, maybe a touch wider.

The problem is the aero, its the main reason we have to suffer guff like DRS. If they concentrated on developing an aero rules solution which simply allowed cars to follow each other closer then you wouldnt need DRS at all. My own take on that would be;

- Much smaller, simpler and narrower front wing which would end inside the wheel line.
- Mandate the max rear wing size with a view to reducing the size of the elements.
- Move forward with an underbody aero solution.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3710655)   #2154
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Now that Ross Brawn is involved I am hoping that this is something he will be allowed to address. It's too late now for anything this season (to be fair to the teams, there does have to be stability), and anyway Ross appears to be more realistic about timescales, but hopefully his background and knowledge will be very useful (as long as he is allowed to do things by his employers).
Old 8 Feb 2017, 00:32 (Ref:3710838)   #2155
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I am sure Ross will come up with the right solution, he has an eye for this sort of thing and uses his loaf
Old 8 Feb 2017, 01:08 (Ref:3710843)   #2156
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will come down to the Working Technical Group and their interests. This issue was raised by them and then they democratically came up with the half solution we've got this year.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 01:31 (Ref:3710846)   #2157
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Now that Ross Brawn is involved I am hoping that this is something he will be allowed to address. It's too late now for anything this season (to be fair to the teams, there does have to be stability), and anyway Ross appears to be more realistic about timescales, but hopefully his background and knowledge will be very useful (as long as he is allowed to do things by his employers).
There in lies the rub; as long as he is allowed to do things by his employers.

I hope he is.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3711834)   #2158
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks like with the new tyres, we may be looking at shorter braking distances this year and also with the aero regs, cars won't be able to follow each other so easily through the corners, so DRS will become more important than before to get a move done on a straight before a braking zone. For drivers, the skill of being the last of the late brakers is going to be a real asset.

A few fewer overtakes might not be so bad, but it would be a pity if they really struggle to follow through the corners and a drivers started to wait much more for DRS opportunities to pass.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 16:42 (Ref:3711851)   #2159
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Shorter braking distances, more aero grip, faster corner speeds, all will result in less genuine overtaking opportunities, so therefore DRS will remain as important as ever.

But hey, apparently us fans wanted to see faster cars, so that's alright then.

Bring back steel brakes and absolutely slash wing size & complexity - I know it ain't going to happen, but that would result in closer racing....
Old 13 Feb 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3711861)   #2160
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Regardless of new tyres and new wings, there is no agreement among the teams regarding suspension.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128085
Old 13 Feb 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3711865)   #2161
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shame, I would've hoped they'd take another look at active suspension, as that technology would make it easier to introduce ground effects again.
With ground effects comes cleaner air, and with that comes closer, and, hopefully, better racing.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 20:04 (Ref:3711895)   #2162
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Active suspension isn't needed for ground effects, not would skirts be. Indycar have had ground effects tunnels for over 30 years, IMSA had them in GTP, and does now.

Indycar had a devilishly clever, simple rule that banned skirts. They mandated that all bodywork outside the tunnels had to be 2 inches higher than the bodywork between the tunnels. It worked like a charm.

The problem is letting teams have input into rules changes. No one wants to be the potential loser if radical changes were to occur, so this leads to excessive conservatism and bad choices like the DRS.

Ross should just impose an effective solution on everyone, and leave it at that.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3711901)   #2163
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi View Post
Active suspension isn't needed for ground effects, not would skirts be. Indycar have had ground effects tunnels for over 30 years, IMSA had them in GTP, and does now.

Indycar had a devilishly clever, simple rule that banned skirts. They mandated that all bodywork outside the tunnels had to be 2 inches higher than the bodywork between the tunnels. It worked like a charm.

The problem is letting teams have input into rules changes. No one wants to be the potential loser if radical changes were to occur, so this leads to excessive conservatism and bad choices like the DRS.

Ross should just impose an effective solution on everyone, and leave it at that.
CART/Champ Car used ground effect but the IRL mandated flat bottomed cars, until the DW 12 was introduced. The use of aero-kits, during the last two seasons, has reduced the amount of downforce generated by the under-tray, in favour of increased downfore from aero itself, with the usual problems. However, with a significant amount of downforce still coming from the under-tray, the cars can run much closer compared to F1.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3712061)   #2164
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi View Post

Fully agree with this, either imposed solution or much more freedom.
Old 24 Feb 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3714546)   #2165
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think widening the cars was a good move, it creates more drag, decreases the weight transfer in corners and provides a more stable car. Widening the tyres again, a good move, though i'd have concentrated more on the rear tyres, I think the fronts were ok in their width, maybe a touch wider.

The problem is the aero, its the main reason we have to suffer guff like DRS. If they concentrated on developing an aero rules solution which simply allowed cars to follow each other closer then you wouldnt need DRS at all. My own take on that would be;

- Much smaller, simpler and narrower front wing which would end inside the wheel line.
- Mandate the max rear wing size with a view to reducing the size of the elements.
- Move forward with an underbody aero solution.

Wings? Ban them! Then we will see some passing that is not induced by pressing a button.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3714644)   #2166
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Wings? Ban them! Then we will see some passing that is not induced by pressing a button.
Agreed. I would like to see 1000bhp formula fords with wide slick tyres.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3714810)   #2167
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The least they can do is get rid of all those winglets. Then they can try reducing the front wing size
Old 26 Feb 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3714928)   #2168
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Agreed. I would like to see 1000bhp formula fords with wide slick tyres.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3715483)   #2169
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
For those that haven't seen it, Ted Kravitz interviews Ross Brawn. A must watch (and listen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz6FB-buuRQ
Old 1 Mar 2017, 09:53 (Ref:3715492)   #2170
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
For those that haven't seen it, Ted Kravitz interviews Ross Brawn. A must watch (and listen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz6FB-buuRQ
I am glad to see Ross Brawn involved because that man is a rock of sense. I suspect over the next few years changes happening ( not all of them visible straight away) that will improve the sport for all. The one caveat is who pays. If it is spread over greater numbers of fans and sponsors then it will be good.

The changes that have already happened in terms of social media are good but lets see where we are in a year or two.

If that had been an interview with Bernie how long would it have been on You tube? Seconds.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3715493)   #2171
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really excellent interview, no question on wisdom of this appointment. I look forward with enthusiasm to what he can bring
Old 1 Mar 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3715498)   #2172
S griffin
Veteran

He's now proposing a non-championship race to try out new formulas. Frankly he can dowgrade one of the races already on the calendar, looks like there is already one too many races
Old 1 Mar 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3715514)   #2173
old man
Veteran

England
UK
I did a check a couple of years ago into races held in the UK back in the 50s and early 60s, can't remember how I did this but I found there were more F1 races in the British calendar than in the World Championship at the time. Many were open to F2 cars as well.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3715518)   #2174
S griffin
Veteran

They sometimes even had 2 non championship races in different location on the same day
Old 1 Mar 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3715524)   #2175
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So Sky has yanked that (and other) videos off that YouTube channel. It's not surprising as that channel is nothing more than reposting content stolen from other sources. I don't know if Sky posts their content or not, but regardless if you search, you can find the video.

I watched it and I was on the fence before regarding Ross, but he said all the right things and I was very impressed. He talked to a very pragmatic, practical and non-fantasy approach to the future. I liked his comment of "poacher turned gamekeeper". So far Liberty is moving things in the right direction.

Richard