Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 22 Sep 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2295441)   #1
Gedwardes518
Rookie

Gedwardes518 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross Track Design

Hey everyone,
i race rallycross and really like just designing tracks whenever i bored. I was wondering if anyones got any ideas for rallycross tracks or different ideas of existing tracks like lydden, croft, blyton, pembrey..... with maybe adding in a joker lap like they do in europe.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2295482)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps for those of us not familiar with rallycross you could give us a rough specification things like....

Overall Length of a lap
What percentage tarmac to gravel
Max length of straights on either surface.
Track width if it varies between the two surfaces

Oh and an explanation of what a joker lap and what it should consist of might be useful too.

Also what else would need to be included?
Old 22 Sep 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2295506)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Design it to ERC spec with the separate grid and the minimum surface percentages.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2295529)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah found them under the FIA...

Quote:
CHAPTER 3. RALLYCROSS CIRCUITS
1. Characteristics
Length (measured along the centre-line of the
course) : minimum: 950m; maximum: 1400m.
Width: minimum: 10m; maximum: 25 m
2. Composition:
Sealed surface (asphalt, concrete, etc.): between
35 % and 60 %.
The remainder unsurfaced (consolidated /stabilised earth or gravel). In addition to watering, anti-dust treatment is obligatory.
3. Gradients
Must not be steeper than 10 %.
4. Starts
There must be at least 100 m of straight from the starting line to the first bend. The starting grid will have a uniform surface of asphalt, tarmac, or concrete, this to continue for at least 30 metres after the starting line. The width of the track at the start line (minimum 14.50 metres) will be
maintained up to and through the first bend, which must have a maximum radius of 25 metres and result in a change of direction of at least 45°;
measurements will be calculated from the centreline of the course.
5. Marking
Should there be a deviation in the course (e.g. an artificial chicane included to reduce speeds), this must be marked in an obvious and entirely
unmistakable way.
6. Joker lap
Characteristics:
Length: must be such that the time needed to cover a lap is at least 2 seconds longer than the best lap time achieved in Division 1. at least 2 sec
longer than the time needed for the replaced distance of the circuit.
Width: minimum 10 m, maximum 12 m.
The entry and the exit cannot be on the racing line.
A safety protection, to separate the two roads, must be in place. At the exit it must be possible for the cars to have the same speed as on the traditional circuit.
A marshals’ post will be put in place if judged necessary for safety reasons.
An Approval by of the FIA circuit safety inspector is required.
Which begs a number of questions...
Is the joker lap simply an extra loop that perhaps leaves at T2 and rejoins at T4 making the overall lap 2 seconds longer?
Or is it a completely separate longer lap of track?

Is the starting grid area only to be used for that purpose or is it part of the lap? I think I've seen both?

A separate finish line?
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2295556)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Ah found them under the FIA...
Which begs a number of questions...
Is the joker lap simply an extra loop that perhaps leaves at T2 and rejoins at T4 making the overall lap 2 seconds longer?
Basically yes.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2295608)   #6
Gedwardes518
Rookie

Gedwardes518 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah you've pretty much got the main jist of it, track length varies from 1 to 2 mile maybe max (quite short tracks) I will try and find some pics of rallycross tracks on google earth to give you some ideas. Theres about 50%50 loose to tarmac, maybe more tarmac on average at some tracks. The grid is placed further back from the actually track so they can have time between races as short as possible. Any other questions and just ask.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2295640)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
A very quick doodle

The Standing Start lap is 1688m (just on 1 mile)
The Flying lap is 1558m

Anticlockwise and I've shown the exit back to the paddock after T2 and the access to the grid from the paddock bottom left
Attached Thumbnails
RallyX doodle.jpg  
Old 22 Sep 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2295666)   #8
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it is better when there are a couple of loose sections rather then one big one, so that cars can get up to speed on the tarmac before hitting the loose
Old 22 Sep 2008, 23:42 (Ref:2295727)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quick change

Now several sections.
Attached Thumbnails
RallyX2.jpg