Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 31 May 2002, 14:02 (Ref:301545)   #1
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Aid

After reading the post on suitable protection I was thinking what about first aid boxes on posts? I don’t know if other circuits have them but the ones I do dont. I know that the rescue units come out but if a driver crashes and isn’t really hurt surly the marshals on post can sort him out. There are a lot of marshals trained in first aid and could do this easily. What does every one think? This wouldn’t be for the public as there are St Johns there for that it only for marshals and drivers
Old 31 May 2002, 14:06 (Ref:301551)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I'm not 100% sure but I think there might be insurance issues surrounding that? Also, who would be responsible for checking it and making sure it was kept up to date etc.?

I carry my own kit on my belt in any case as do a lot of marshals I know - but it is expensive to keep it stocked up so a supplied one would be better.
Old 31 May 2002, 14:14 (Ref:301556)   #3
brickkicker
Veteran

I carry a small pack as well but as long as the marshals using it are trained in first aid then there shouldnt be an insurance problem. Keeping it up to date could be done in the same way the fire bottles are (they are just checked at the start of the day) just bandages steril dressings ect not a full blown thing just somthing to deal with small incidents without waking up the cavalry (sorry rescue people)
Old 31 May 2002, 20:34 (Ref:301850)   #4
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brickkicker, I think you need to have an understanding of the Legislation regarding First Aid/Medical cover[See MSA Blue Book] to realise that Rescue Units in many instances are there to cover the organisers backsides. With respect to 'Discharging their responsibility'.
If you have done a FAW(First Aid at Work) refresher lately you will notice that every section gets you to dial '999'! Well its no different at a circuit it just so happens that a Race Licensed Rescue Vehicle or Fast Response Car carries the magic ingredient to the Incident, i.e; a Doctor or Paramedic. The marshals on post and therefore the Organiser are able to Discharge their responsibility. Many people say that Health and Safety legislation doesnt cover volunteers, but I am damn sure if you start acting 'the medic' without the relevant qualifications, sooner or later someone will find a reason to sue you!!

Hope that answers the question,
Stay Safe, regards,

Jim Lamb.
Old 31 May 2002, 22:57 (Ref:301951)   #5
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree with jim on this one
Old 1 Jun 2002, 12:12 (Ref:302239)   #6
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would agree with Jim also. Although I bring a small first aid kit with me - I leave it in my kitbag on post as I do not intend it for use on a competitor. If a competetitor looks like he/she needs any kind of medical attention then I call in the professionals and let them decide what action they want to take. If it is serious enough for immediate action to be taken, then I doubt anything in my little kit is going to be of help, except maybe a pad to put pressure on a wound if there is serius bleeding - and that would be only for the minute or so that it would take for the big guys to get there.

My little first aid kit is really just for marshals with small cuts, abrasions or other little boo-boo's.
Old 2 Jun 2002, 14:08 (Ref:302788)   #7
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Just wondering, how often do you have St John's (or similar) helping you on post?
Old 2 Jun 2002, 14:17 (Ref:302797)   #8
brickkicker
Veteran

Hardly ever you used to get them at mallory but its rare.
another thing is they actually get paid for being there
Old 3 Jun 2002, 09:53 (Ref:303278)   #9
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree with Jim on this issue of the first aid.
Having been involved with first aid for over 10 years on and off circuits and a member of St Johns I can only say this.
As a marshal you sign on for circuit duties i.e course, fire flag, obs and so on.
during the day if you have an incident and a driver has in your view a minor injury and you treat it from the on post first aid kit and then the driver goes back to his pit, ok. Later that day as a result of the minor injury the driver collapses and dies the person giving the treatment could be held liable.
The drivers have to be treated for insurance reasons for them to be able to race by a paramedic and cleared by a doctor.
Even if you have first aid at work qual this does not cover you to treat and discharge anyone without it being cheked out by a higher level.
So to sum up, leave the medical side to the the people that sign on for that duty. All you can do as a marshal is immediate asses the situation call the cavalry and if need be stop the driver moving till help arrives and give plenty of reassurance to the driver.
Rich S...
Old 3 Jun 2002, 09:55 (Ref:303281)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
here here rich!

If they ain't gushing blood, not breathing or on fire - it's an official SEP!
Old 3 Jun 2002, 17:48 (Ref:303636)   #11
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Terri,
Sorry don't understand your reply.
Rich..
Old 4 Jun 2002, 07:43 (Ref:304091)   #12
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
LOL - SEP - Somebody Elses Problem