Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Jun 2002, 19:24 (Ref:302460)   #26
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wicked witch, welcome to the Race Gypsy world.
Doing foriegn GPs can be a minefield.
If you are specific about the Brit GP you need to contact Peter Todd at the MSA, with a short marshalling CV, a copy of your Irish licence, and a reference from a senior official, usually a senior Clerk of Course.
Other GPs vary, for France you must be under 50 when you first start (am I glad I did my first LeMansd in '72)
In USA it is by personal invite of the organisers - and they do trawl the world for experienced people, it's the most international GP worker crew, with only about 50% American!
In Canada they are desperate to get numbers this year, tho it's a bit late now

I have my own views about working GPs in certain countries, which I am not prepared to put on open forum, lets just say we do it because we expect to enjoy our hobby.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 19:32 (Ref:302466)   #27
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
g_ don't be put off if you find some of our comments either cynical or dismissive. Marshalling is a great hobby connected with a great sport. I have had nearly 40 years enjoyment, and seen races at all levels which I would have never had the opertuniyty to do if I was not a Corner Worker/Marshal.
It does take some time to train, but remember that although we are all volunteers, we regard ourselves as very professional in what we do and how we handle ourselves.
Motor racing is fun, it is also wet cold and occationally dangerous. we have fun, laugh & joke, then when the chips are down we get in there and do a job.
Good luck to you I know Kev and the other chiefs will support and help you. We need you and others like you in what is a very large international family. (just look at some of the bye-lines on this forum, it's world wide
Old 4 Jun 2002, 18:36 (Ref:304671)   #28
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks gypsy. I'm not seriously considering it yet - but I suppose that I'd like to know if it's an option & it might be good experience for me. Anyway, if you're over in Mondello for the BTCC, then I'll talk to you about it then.
Old 4 Jun 2002, 23:03 (Ref:304857)   #29
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those of you looking to do a GP. Don't do Silverstone!!! The politics,ameneties and general treatment of marshals sucks!! Instead of spending my vacation in a field miles from a track, I go abroad, have a campsite or motel, free breakfast, lunch and beer plus............. the respect of all officials for the job I do!!!

So..........I hear you ask????????

where is this eutopia???????

CART, NASCAR or most other GP's!!!!!
all you have to do is contact the circuit through the web and you'll be more than welcome. I've had trackside passes (FREE), for Monza, worked NASCAR and CART and am invited to any others I choose to go to!! My duty/experience???

Hillclimbs and Circuits for 16yrs+ and still the MSA won't grade me!! I've done the pits at a GP, marshalled the Startline and even led Mr.M.Schumacher to the toilets from the grid!!

The grading system sucks as most people now view it as an attendance record plus..............and here it comes.......

Silverstone are now accepting trainees just to make-up the numbers!!!

You want to do a BIG race??? pick the one you want and search on the web. Believe me, you'll be made more than welcome