Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Feb 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3801655)   #526
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is the world coming to?

I read that someone in Russia was advertising an ex Louis Chiron 1926 Bugatti for a fantastic number of roubles, and it was a thinly disguised 1939 Zil.

In America a collector paid $15, 670, 000 for a newly discovered Tintoretto painted in Belgium six months ago!

In Scotland police broke into a lock-up garage and found £5,000,000 in forged £10 notes.

A German woman looking remarkably like Angela Merkel was detained after trying to board a plane to America without a ticket.

Personally I think it is all fake news.(get it?)
Old 15 Feb 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3801656)   #527
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I read both the M23 & A3 had blockages caused by multi-vehicle accidents within a short space of time this morning.
Given the the number of vehicles with claimed accident prevention systems of some sort that must be on the roads by now - especially at commute time - was has to wonder why there seems to be so many road closing accidents occurring.

Unless, of course, it's because there are so many driver aids in modern vehicles ... ?
Old 15 Feb 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3801663)   #528
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
What is the world coming to?

I read that someone in Russia was advertising an ex Louis Chiron 1926 Bugatti for a fantastic number of roubles, and it was a thinly disguised 1939 Zil.

In America a collector paid $15, 670, 000 for a newly discovered Tintoretto painted in Belgium six months ago!

In Scotland police broke into a lock-up garage and found £5,000,000 in forged £10 notes.

A German woman looking remarkably like Angela Merkel was detained after trying to board a plane to America without a ticket.

Personally I think it is all fake news.(get it?)
Err, no, sorry Bob.

Can you run those by us again? I'll see if I get the the second time.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3801664)   #529
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Given the the number of vehicles with claimed accident prevention systems of some sort that must be on the roads by now - especially at commute time - was has to wonder why there seems to be so many road closing accidents occurring.

Unless, of course, it's because there are so many driver aids in modern vehicles ... ?
It's probably vehicles with accident prevention systems colliding with each other whilst being diverted away from another accident!

...or it could simply be that the drivers of such vehicles think they can't possibly have an accident because...!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 19:57 (Ref:3801667)   #530
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
What is the world coming to?In Scotland police broke into a lock-up garage and found £5,000,000 in forged £10 notes. Personally I think it is all fake news.(get it?)
Why a fake news? There are people who can spare "some" money. And others, who can't!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3801670)   #531
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Err, no, sorry Bob.

Can you run those by us again? I'll see if I get the the second time.
Maybe I am too subtle Grant, they are all fake news stories about 'fakes' ie Fake News.

Sorry to be so obscure I made it al up.

I'll get me coat
Old 15 Feb 2018, 21:11 (Ref:3801682)   #532
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe I am too subtle Grant, they are all fake news stories about 'fakes' ie Fake News.

Sorry to be so obscure I made it al up.

I'll get me coat
Ah, sorry.

I read it as Flake news and was expecting some jokes about chocolate.

Or Snow.

Or some other connotation of the word.

Old 16 Feb 2018, 07:18 (Ref:3801762)   #533
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Ah, sorry.

I read it as Flake news and was expecting some jokes about chocolate.

Or Snow.

Or some other connotation of the word.

Leave that sort of thing to VivaGT, what else is he good for?
Old 16 Feb 2018, 07:51 (Ref:3801768)   #534
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Leave that sort of thing to VivaGT, what else is he good for?
Ironically, reading Grant's post my mind did start churning, then I scrolled down & read this...
I am more than a little perturbed Baub to see that you are starting to know me quite well.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3801779)   #535
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Ironically, reading Grant's post my mind did start churning, then I scrolled down & read this...
I am more than a little perturbed Baub to see that you are starting to know me quite well.
Probably because in you I see a lesser version of myself.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3801785)   #536
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Probably because in you I see a lesser version of myself.
To start with, I thought that might be a compliment. Then I thought of my opinion of you...
Old 16 Feb 2018, 13:04 (Ref:3801794)   #537
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Nice sunny day and with the power of face book I got a garage . New surface seems very grippy . Will have another go later as it’s was a bit slippy this morning .
Old 17 Feb 2018, 07:34 (Ref:3801953)   #538
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting day . The new surface sure is grippy. It’s very bumpy in places especially braking area for Brooklands . It was very cold so took a while for temperature to come up on our slicks . Be interesting to see what it’s going to be like once weather warms up . Chatting to few regular drivers all said very favourable .
Old 17 Feb 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3801971)   #539
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mike, Dijon Prenois' toilets ar improved ! Nothing about a an inside bike path at the moment though.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 11:49 (Ref:3801986)   #540
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
To start with, I thought that might be a compliment. Then I thought of my opinion of you...
In the years left to you Viv you may top the gold medal table at the Winter Olympics, join the Army and win a couple of VC's, be knighted by the Queen for services to the re-cycllng industry, even became a multiple World Formula 1 Champion - indeed you may yet accomplish all of these giddy heights of fame, yet!

Nothing you can achieve in life will be as important as being likened, even as a lesser version, to myself. No accolade can possible outshine that honour.

Be grateful.

Mr Bauble.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3801998)   #541
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
In the years left to you Viv you may top the gold medal table at the Winter Olympics, join the Army and win a couple of VC's, be knighted by the Queen for services to the re-cycllng industry, even became a multiple World Formula 1 Champion - indeed you may yet accomplish all of these giddy heights of fame, yet!

Nothing you can achieve in life will be as important as being likened, even as a lesser version, to myself. No accolade can possible outshine that honour.

Be grateful.

Mr Bauble.
In that case Mr Bauble, I now consider myself gratefully accoladed...
Old 17 Feb 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3802002)   #542
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In that case Mr Bauble, I now consider myself gratefully accoladed...
Certified, more like it!
Old 18 Feb 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3802201)   #543
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just run my first half marathon as an old age pensioner. Checked results and I was 5 min quicker than last year. The motor sport connection is that I did the very first Wokingham half marathon with Sir Frank. "well we started together then he was long gone up the road". This was the last time I saw Frank at a marathon as he shortly had his accident a few weeks later. So sad.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 17:14 (Ref:3802203)   #544
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well done on the 1/2, Boss!

I think about that accident every time I start the drive from Ricard back down to sea level, even though I believe Sir Frank was heading for Nice, rather than the Autoroute West.
Old 19 Feb 2018, 06:14 (Ref:3802296)   #545
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
What's much more surprising is the fact he found a policeman in a rural police station! Neither exist today.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Except in Dersingham (Norfolk, again). Quite a big rural Police Station, actually. The proximity to Sandringham House may have something to do with it.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3802699)   #546
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
It’s a council- and you expect common sense?
My sister's local council in Bury, Lancs, just scrapped the existing residents parking permit scheme to introduce a mandatory "virtual" scheme......whereby one had to register having created an online account, and bookin visitors whenever they arrive. Never seemed to have crossed anybody's mind that despite the incredulity of millenials, not everyone has a computer, or indeed internet access, and that in a street largely comprising bungalows, occupied in many cases by more "senior" citizens, the profferred alternative of going down to the library (generally shut) or the town hall to register ones visitors might not be (a) convenient, or (b) possible for a scheme that operates 7 days a week until 8pm......

The 11 page instruction document explaining how to operate the "easy" system was of course riddled with typos, mis-spelling, bad grammar and general sloppiness.

After 1 public meeting of 100+ residents and involving the local councillors, plus adverse publicity in the local press, the council have "listened", and there will be a paper permit alternative.....

Would have made the council look so much less stupid and involved a lot less angst if someone had engaged a brain cell before launching the idea.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3802738)   #547
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
My sister's local council in Bury, Lancs, just scrapped the existing residents parking permit scheme to introduce a mandatory "virtual" scheme......whereby one had to register having created an online account, and bookin visitors whenever they arrive. Never seemed to have crossed anybody's mind that despite the incredulity of millenials, not everyone has a computer, or indeed internet access, and that in a street largely comprising bungalows, occupied in many cases by more "senior" citizens, the profferred alternative of going down to the library (generally shut) or the town hall to register ones visitors might not be (a) convenient, or (b) possible for a scheme that operates 7 days a week until 8pm......

The 11 page instruction document explaining how to operate the "easy" system was of course riddled with typos, mis-spelling, bad grammar and general sloppiness.

After 1 public meeting of 100+ residents and involving the local councillors, plus adverse publicity in the local press, the council have "listened", and there will be a paper permit alternative.....

Would have made the council look so much less stupid and involved a lot less angst if someone had engaged a brain cell before launching the idea.
They do things different Oop Norf!
Old 21 Feb 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3802842)   #548
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
If anyone that follows these things remembers, JLR bought a huge collection of classics (which included a lot of Jags) a while back, and they're now sending some or the unwanted cars to auction. Reminds me a bit of the stuff they get at Kings Lynn. Metro Turbo, anyone? I've been told that Bicester Heritage is worth a visit, so maybe......

https://www.brightwells.com/classic-...ue-21st-march/
Old 21 Feb 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3802899)   #549
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If anyone that follows these things remembers, JLR bought a huge collection of classics (which included a lot of Jags) a while back, and they're now sending some or the unwanted cars to auction. Reminds me a bit of the stuff they get at Kings Lynn. Metro Turbo, anyone? I've been told that Bicester Heritage is worth a visit, so maybe......

https://www.brightwells.com/classic-...ue-21st-march/
Yes, I saw that story yesterday. I was unaware of the original JLR purchase but there's some interesting bits & pieces. Wonder if Bauble & VIVA will be out-bidding each other for the Cresta Estate - it's rather lovely. Or the Chevette HS.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3802901)   #550
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Yes, I saw that story yesterday. I was unaware of the original JLR purchase but there's some interesting bits & pieces. Wonder if Bauble & VIVA will be out-bidding each other for the Cresta Estate - it's rather lovely. Or the Chevette HS.
There certainly are some interesting & classic cars in that sale, including quite a few rare estate versions.
Regarding the Chevette HS, did get as far as owning genuine front & rear spoilers for one as I was plannng to build myself a single cam 2.3 litre Chevette many years ago, but like most things, never got around to doing it...