Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 21 May 2011, 05:21 (Ref:2883368)   #1
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernard gets it

Just what the doctor ordered. Indy Car needs new markets like China and should continue to develop Brazil and other South American markets. You can't limit yourself to only competing against NASCAR in the states for sponsorship dollars.

IndyCar CEO wants to expand schedule
(AP) – 8 hours ago
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Randy Bernard's ideal world would include more IndyCar races in more places and more of the double-file restarts that have drawn some complaints this season.
The series' CEO said Friday if it was up to him, the schedule would expand to 24 races, feature more international stops and return to Phoenix. He also would keep the restarts despite the criticism.
"Look, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Chip Ganassi and Roger Penske and this was their idea," Bernard said of the double-file restarts which will debut at Indy on May 29. "This is racing."
Series officials changed the restarts this season in hopes it would create more excitement among fans, and Bernard believes that's one reason attendance increased at three of the first four stops — St. Petersburg, Long Beach and Brazil.
Many drivers and owners contend it's simply created more wreckage.
And most drivers believe using the double-file concept at Indianapolis, where there's a small groove, is downright dangerous.
"That's really stupid," Canadian Alex Tagliani said earlier this week.
Bernard said Brian Barnhart, IndyCar's president of competition and racing operations, and Mel Harder, the speedway's senior vice president of operations, met Friday to discuss their concerns about Indy. He didn't say what had been decided.
But Bernard isn't ready to give in to demands to shelve the concept.
"I think our position is it's going to happen, just like we said at the beginning of the season," he said.
In addition, Bernard would like to make some changes to future schedules.
He acknowledged the series will consider putting a second race in Brazil and continues to look into the possibility of racing in China, perhaps as early as 2012.
And he'd like to get the series back to Phoenix, which hosted IndyCar races from 1996 through 2005.
But Bernard believes more international races should not come at the expense of the American races on this year's schedule. Instead, he'd like to expand the schedule.
"I think Phoenix would be a great market, and if I had my way, I'd go there the week before Daytona," he said.
Bernard also said a decision about possibly delaying the implementation of the new car packages by one year, from 2012 to 2013, will not come until after this year's Indianapolis 500 is over.
Some owners want the delay to defray costs next season.
___
Old 21 May 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2883522)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Alex Tagliani does realize that the initial start at Indy is THREE abreast, right?
Old 21 May 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2883557)   #3
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Alex Tagliani does realize that the initial start at Indy is THREE abreast, right?
He probably thinks he is still in CART
Old 21 May 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2883562)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1 View Post
Bernard also said a decision about possibly delaying the implementation of the new car packages by one year, from 2012 to 2013, will not come until after this year's Indianapolis 500 is over.
Some owners want the delay to defray costs next season.
___

2013, 2014, etc.

The money isn't in the till.

People have been demanding over the past 2 years that rodeo randy "gets it, he gets it, he really, really, really gets it"

If he does "get it" for the most part he hasn't really effected any change that has altered the downward spiral of american open wheel racing. Lots of talk, all hat, no cattle.

Racing in places like china might bring in sanctioning fees American promoters are loathe to pay, but it's not going to do anything to build the fan base here.
Old 22 May 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2883908)   #5
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

2013, 2014, etc.

The money isn't in the till.

People have been demanding over the past 2 years that rodeo randy "gets it, he gets it, he really, really, really gets it"

If he does "get it" for the most part he hasn't really effected any change that has altered the downward spiral of american open wheel racing. Lots of talk, all hat, no cattle.

Racing in places like china might bring in sanctioning fees American promoters are loathe to pay, but it's not going to do anything to build the fan base here.
Randy Bernard's job is not to revitalize open wheel racing in the US. His job is to make the Indy Racing League into a profitable franchise for its owners, end of story - its no different in NASCAR or F1.

If Bernard has to race where sanctioning fees are highest and it makes overall economic sense, he must go to those markets, whether they are in China or Kentucky and right now Kentucky doesn't seem to be the face of an elite, international racing series - nothing against Kentucky mind you.

For selfish reasons I wish the IRL could run 30 races in the US so I could attend a whole bunch - but I don't think any of that is feasible.
Old 24 May 2011, 06:53 (Ref:2884957)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to see IndyCar at Interlagos.
Old 26 May 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2886404)   #7
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The important part for scheduling, I think, is maintaining the 50/50 promise. My only worry with international expansion is an uneven proportion of races being held on street/road courses, as there are not many ovals outside of the U.S. (and of them, even fewer are appropriate for IndyCar racing). Unless negotiations go well with getting ISC races on Indy's terms and not their own, I am definitely concerned 50/50 won't be realistic, and if that's the case, it is a great shame. I love all the different types of tracks being run on, but if they were allocated unequally, it wouldn't be right. The last thing Indy needs is to lose its identity.
Old 26 May 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2886467)   #8
fasteric
Rookie

United States
DC Metro area
fasteric should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"rodeo' randy does get it ..the first big decision he has as THE boss will be to against the owners ..Penske/Ganassi and implement the body kits for 2012...IndyCar is making its way back up the charts and fan interest will increase with different bodied cars. as far as an international schedule..brasil yes maybe twice (alot of sponsors) ..mexico and canada are natural places..but IndyCar needs the US open wheel fan :both road course and ovals..two different fans.
Old 27 May 2011, 02:09 (Ref:2886500)   #9
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

I think the fact Indy had a real "bump day" with teams that really wanted to make the race, not chassis that had no business being there but were funded by IMS so they could have a bump day, and the larger fields season-long are attributable to rodeo randy.

That's why I think the greatest hope for Indy racing to truly recover is for Tony, with his seat back on the board and packing it with his cronies, to get the thing pointed back in the direction Tony had it going in. Then a couple years out there will be a nice, fat opening for somebody who knows what they are doing to take advantage of.