Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Jun 2014, 01:42 (Ref:3417276)   #76
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
I'm just surprised that the media and general public didn't make a big fuss about it,almost shows how little people know about corvette and it's sports car program.
I wouldn't be as hesitant to say that the general public has zero idea or clue about the sports car program. I think they flew completely under the radar.

Richard
Old 9 Jun 2014, 02:51 (Ref:3417291)   #77
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
The Corvette Racing program was probably saved by the fact that GM got the bailout. I have a feeling the team would have gotten cut if they had to go through the bankruptcy process. There were articles at the time saying they would cut the NASCAR program before they cut the Corvette Racing team due to the sport's relevance. I honestly think that the racing program had a ton to do with the design of the C7, meaning GM got a lot out of the racing team (though I might be naive).
The Corvette Racing program is almost entirely done by Pratt & Miller. They are and were in good financial condition.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 01:35 (Ref:3417919)   #78
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbagtbag View Post
The Corvette Racing program is almost entirely done by Pratt & Miller. They are and were in good financial condition.
Um, where do you think the majority of their funding was coming from? Compuware and Mobil 1?
Old 10 Jun 2014, 02:29 (Ref:3417928)   #79
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I heard it the money for the racing program was budgeted in under promotion and the argument was that cutting it would hurt sales which would be counterproductive.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 06:07 (Ref:3417971)   #80
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm just surprised that the media and general public didn't make a big fuss about it,almost shows how little people know about corvette and it's sports car program.

I find it funny that the c7 has those ducts on top of the rear fender for brake cooling and the pr spin that it was developed from the race car.but yet on the C7.R those ducts are stickers! I was actually a little disappointed when I saw it in person.
The ducts came from the C6.R.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3418096)   #81
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Um, where do you think the majority of their funding was coming from? Compuware and Mobil 1?
OH Dooh. Sorry didn't quite think things through before responding

You're right a lot of the funding comes from Chevy. I know some folks on the Corvette team and Pratt & Miller does a lot more than just racing. They do military DoD stuff too.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3418192)   #82
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I find it funny that the c7 has those ducts on top of the rear fender for brake cooling and the pr spin that it was developed from the race car.but yet on the C7.R those ducts are stickers! I was actually a little disappointed when I saw it in person.
It depends on the circuit. It changes at other tracks.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 10 Jun 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3418302)   #83
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
As I heard it the money for the racing program was budgeted in under promotion and the argument was that cutting it would hurt sales which would be counterproductive.
(Setting... Conference room deep in Detroit circa 2009 in which the GM racing department is planning contingency plans around the impending repercussions of bankruptcy protection.)

Bob: I don't know guys. How do we spin this? They are about to pull the plug on funding!

Fred: I know it sounds crazy, but how about the same way we got money in the first place? We say that racing helps sales?

(Uproarious nervous laughter fills the room. It trails off to giggles and finally all is quiet)

Bob: Its a long shot, but I like it!

Richard
Old 17 Jun 2014, 02:58 (Ref:3422847)   #84
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/new...88381481237582 Steven Cole Smith's commentary about manufacturer involvement circa 1999. Entertaining for the commentary about taking a Cadillac representative into the Mercedes compound as they were withdrawing.

It probably is a good observation-if the company is not willing to carpet the garages, they are not willing to invest to win against other companies.

Last edited by skycafe; 17 Jun 2014 at 02:59. Reason: spelling
Old 20 Jun 2014, 23:28 (Ref:3424413)   #85
rwindle
Rookie

United States
Dallas, Texas
rwindle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
History has proven that an American effort to win at racing outside of U.S. borders is irrelevant to automobile sales in the 50 states. Therefore, why should they spend the money. Viper withdrew from Le Mans this year due to lack of budget. They would rather focus on TUSCC with their available dollars. That seems to be the way American car companies prioritize.

Cadillac, Panoz, Viper, Corvette, those are small potatoes compared to the quantity of cars the U.S. companies need to sell to stay in business. They also know that they cannot compete with the likes of Audi, Porsche, Toyota, Ligier, Oreca, Rebellion in endurance racing.

American car manufacturers are flash in the pan when it comes to endurance racing. They never stay for long, they never do really well. That is their history.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 23:47 (Ref:3424414)   #86
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
American car manufacturers are flash in the pan when it comes to endurance racing. They never stay for long, they never do really well. That is their history.
I seem to recall Ford doing quite well
Old 21 Jun 2014, 00:49 (Ref:3424417)   #87
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1964--1969----Not a long commitment. Outspent Ferrari to settle a grudge, won Le Mans a couple times, walked away.

Anyway, the thread title maybe should be: "Can the Current American Sports Car Racing Business Offer Reasonable Return to a Manufacturer Considering LMP1?"

Pretty obviously the U.S. is the major market, so aside from winning Le Mans I don't see any WEC involvement being sustainable (from a marketing perspective.) And well .... not many places to race a P1 in the U.S.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 05:29 (Ref:3424461)   #88
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
One primary item that's missing in the American scene is an understanding of 'relevance' and how important it is to the future. Without that, it will be the SOS.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 06:02 (Ref:3424468)   #89
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwindle View Post
except in gte
Old 21 Jun 2014, 07:55 (Ref:3424491)   #90
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Yeah, how long has vette been there now? Since early 2000's.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3424539)   #91
Maelochs
Veteran

GTE?

WEC Are American Manufacturers incapable of fielding LMP1?"

Why not bring up NASCAR if you want to show U.S. manufacturer commitment to racing in general?
Old 21 Jun 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3424667)   #92
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Incapable? Probably not. Unwilling? Certainly.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3424723)   #93
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwindle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
GTE?

WEC Are American Manufacturers incapable of fielding LMP1?"

Why not bring up NASCAR if you want to show U.S. manufacturer commitment to racing in general?
Take a look at the previous comments. American manufacturers are interested in endurance and Vette has been a model of that for over a decade. Lmp1 is the thread topic, but it wasn't what we were discussing. That being endurance racing in general.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 01:43 (Ref:3424780)   #94
Maelochs
Veteran

Oaky. I thought the post was from RWintle, not Rwindle ... the former I know from long board exposure, the latter is sa stranger.

Because I thoucht the post came from RWintle, who is fairly knowledgeable and would be aware of the long Corvette program, I assumed he must be focusing still on American manufacturer involvement ion P1 where even the Corvette, like the Probe and the Northstar, were all short-lived and sort of half-hearted.

Do you believe all that? I might ... or not.

The real question is whether an American manufacturer can make an onboard fire extinguisher for a P1.