Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Aug 2002, 16:13 (Ref:354105)   #1
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver and car weight

Does anyone agree that there should be more consideration for driver weight? I heard during a champcar broadcast that on a 90 second lap 10lbs is roughly 1/10th of a second per lap. Thats with 800hp and a 'heavy' car. Imagine a 185hp FRS thats only 490kg. I would think it would be even more. FRS does include driver weight, but its only 70kg. I think thats about 155lbs? Im 5'11 and if I were racing in that series and was fully F1/olympic fit and with all gear on I doubt I could get below 70kg. And I wouldnt want to lose so much as 1/10th in a series that tight. It would be even worse for the Webbers/Wurz/Wilsons of the world. It should perhaps be 80-85kg. I do beleive though that F3 doesnt penalise a driver's weight and follows the F1 model

Whats the weight situation in karting? Are we producing a world of small racing drivers because of the competitive advantage of lightness?
Old 9 Aug 2002, 18:51 (Ref:354210)   #2
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well,what i have noticed from the test session at Spa is that all drivers are so little,they arn't small,but sooo little !altough there are some exeptions like Nguyen,Haberfeld,Derek hill and Sperafico
Old 10 Aug 2002, 10:44 (Ref:354514)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suppose the thing is that short skinny drivers just happen to have the right build, they need some upper body strength but have to be fairly light, for the sake of weight and aerodynamics. Just as basketball players have to be tall, jockeys have to be ultralight and weightlifters are these musclular 5ft 8st beings who can somehow lift 3 times their own body weight, there is an ideal shape for a racer