Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

View Poll Results: What should I use to lubricate the leaf springs?
Oil 3 20.00%
Grease 5 33.33%
Don't bother - the rust helps! 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jan 2004, 12:54 (Ref:853557)   #1
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lubricating Leaf Springs - do you use oil or grease?

I'm about to fit gaiters to the springs on the Ford, but note that our cousins recommend using oil rather than grease to lubricate the leaves of the springs. Having always previously used grease, I've begun to wonder which is best?

As I see it, the oil will require a lower force to shear and allow the leaves to slide over each other, and is more likely to run around keeping it all lubricated. But given the "qualities" of the standard Ford "shock absorbers", I'm wondering whether the extra friction from the grease will be of benefit?

Any opinions?

Duncan
Old 28 Jan 2004, 14:17 (Ref:853654)   #2
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 32,000 miles I did in mine,I never oiled or greased my Ford A springs at all, on the trials they got a regular dosing of water mud and grit.... I don't think you would notice any difference whether you left them dry, oiled them or greased them, the ride and handling would be awful!

Steve McQueen.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 15:26 (Ref:853749)   #3
Woofly
Rookie

Woofly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yo Dunc you bad @@@@'s dude now we're out of sight out of mind we can get tips on how to make things work properly! If you are going to cover up your springs with gaiters then no one will see them!

On the landrovers we used to put a PTFE disc in between the leaves (one disc at each end of each leaf) the discs were turned with a nipple (OMG thats the sort of thing that got us last time)in the centre which located in a small hole drilled in each leaf. Worked a treat on the landie although it was being helped out by a pair of konis at each corner - cornered nice and flat at speed and lots of response on the knarly off road stuff righto old boy back to other place demeanour, no more petrol head speak

ps Evo VI is way better than WRX

Last edited by Woofly; 28 Jan 2004 at 15:27.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 15:43 (Ref:853777)   #4
BugEyed
Racer

Mike

Interesting thought using PTFE - I've some PTFE grease at home I could try.

Duncan

PS Too true - most WRX drivers would drive EVO VI's if they could put up with the ridiculously small range!
Old 28 Jan 2004, 15:50 (Ref:853792)   #5
Woofly
Rookie

Yes Evo was a bit like that, had a few close moments with it but as you would have noticed at Brooklands, I have the luxury of a man and support vehicle (Norton used a tank of gas before we reached Brooklands, had it half refuelled as the motorway cops pulled in to see what the problem was, I declined their offer of a push and tried not to make too much noise as I pulled away - apparently, my man tells me, there were comments about how does he get an MOT as I was leaving Brooklands - won't embarrass my pet MOT man here but he is the best!)

Last edited by Woofly; 28 Jan 2004 at 15:52.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 17:44 (Ref:853966)   #6
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally posted by Woofly
ps Evo VI is way better than WRX
Now you have really confused me what the hell is EVO VI & WRx? will it make my new Brasier/Hispano lump/project handle better? Is it some sort of WD40 for modern plastic flying tea trays?

Last edited by eclectic; 28 Jan 2004 at 17:44.

Steve McQueen.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 17:51 (Ref:853975)   #7
Woofly
Rookie

Hold up there Mike, whilst I am sure the tanks on your edwardian leviathon's might hold one or both of the aforementioned oddities I can't imagine it would improve the performance. They are outrageous homologation specials giving rise to the respective manufacturers rally cars:
Evo IV = Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Mark 6 (which I used to have) WRX = Subaru Impreza WRX (which is what Bugeye used to have until it went to be replaced with one of Henry's finest - and I would think that is probably the most unique and eccentric trade-in in the universe. Ever.)
Old 28 Jan 2004, 18:09 (Ref:853999)   #8
Woofly
Rookie

They have a top polling system, seems you don't get to view the results until you vote - motivates you to vote and means you are uninfluenced by the current postings.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 18:12 (Ref:854003)   #9
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Good here innit?

Steve McQueen.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 19:02 (Ref:854083)   #10
BugEyed
Racer

Woofly

I think that you'll agree that neither the EVO nor WRX give you such an impression of speed as a Vintage car, and that you have to be travelling close to the limit for them to be at their best. Given that 50 mph is close to the limit (even in as straight line as is possible in a Model A) I have a lot more fun in Vicky!

It is possible to see the current state of a Vote prior to voting by clicking on the link next to the Vote button, but I think the feature (like many others here) is superb.

Eclectic

The EVO and the WRX are both four wheel drive cars with limited slip diffs, so can really make use of the power. I've always wondered whether it'd be possible to put an aero-engine in a Spyker chassis and get the best of both worlds - rally style traction allied with awesome power.

Duncan
Old 29 Jan 2004, 10:08 (Ref:854867)   #11
Woofly
Rookie

Duncan, think you answer the question, niether of us own them anymore but we still have vintage stuff. I am always trying to explain to people that 80 / 90 mph on the Norton is much more exciting / terrifying than 170 on the superbikes I used to play with. And the bikes and Evo both interrupted the continuity of my licence

on the other hand driving to work in the snow today, clear blue sky made me very nostalgic for a snow covered gravel back road and just 1 more run in the Evo.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 11:34 (Ref:854967)   #12
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
The Model A is ecellent on snow in icy conditions, I know, I lived in Scotland, far better than most fwd moderns.

Steve McQueen.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 16:44 (Ref:855310)   #13
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well my rear springs on the 12/4 are wrapped in plumbers pre-greased pipe lagging. Seems to do the business. Up front...springs are string-bound. Brooklands is just given a few squirts of thin oil from time to time but rarely goes out on the road...usually on track or the grass (perhaps it's the springs!)
Old 1 Feb 2004, 10:09 (Ref:858639)   #14
jwd
Rookie

jwd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woofly, I loved that Norton. Remember Roger Buxton's EVO6 towcar for the T.51?
Duncan, why not take a leaf (Ha!) out of the manufacturers book. The Rolls Nice brigade used grease (Wasn't it a save the whales problem . . . ?) inside leather. My brand new set arrived greased. The engineering oils we have tried on leathers seem to rot, degrade or harden the skins. The emulsification with road wash rapidly dispersed the effective lubricating and protective effects.
Father used to cluck at my dry leaf-springs and took opportunity to grease the things as soon as he could.
As for shear: Plum is a rock and roll Yank Tank. The soft suspension is the nature of the beast. Unless you are going to fit virtually-rigid, heavy-duty springs and make her into a street rod (has Woofly been giving you ideas?) . . . um, where was I?

The PTFE pads sound seriously good alternatives and of course are dry. PTFE is susceptible to wear. I wonder how long they last? The water repellant marine greases have some appeal. {Is this one for Andy?}

What is the source of all these Hispano motors that are appearing, Mike? The Curtiss Jenny OX engines are fairly common in the US.... but Wolseley Viper/Hispanos? Why not hunt out a Renault or one of the Salis Collection left-overs? When in Rome, old bean!
ps I'll be at the Pom, too.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 10:17 (Ref:858652)   #15
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Very hard to find the early V8 Hispano engines, tho I know of three of the later V12 engines, 625hp one brand new.

Steve McQueen.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 13:42 (Ref:858885)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
On the landrovers we used to put a PTFE disc in between the leaves (one disc at each end of each leaf) the discs were turned with a nipple (OMG thats the sort of thing that got us last time)in the centre which located in a small hole drilled in each leaf.
That jogged a memory somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of my mind. Back in the sixties/seventies the friction material manufacturer I worked for supplied a similar product, but made of a (rubber-based, I think) friction material, to Ford. I'm not sure of the application, but I think it was the Transit. From memory, the buttons, as we called them, were about 2" dia with a 3/4" dia locating spigot, about 1/4" thick overall, spigot height around 1/8"

Last edited by Dave Brand; 1 Feb 2004 at 13:43.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 10:37 (Ref:861220)   #17
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Evo IV = Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Mark 6
IV = 4 (Evo 4 looks better than Evo 6 anyway )

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 3 Feb 2004, 11:04 (Ref:861239)   #18
Woofly
Rookie

I noticed it too but too late to edit - they were great cars but I think the real test of greatness is whether you would buy another the same. I have only done that a couple of times (although I did think about a second Type R Integra briefly, the test drive brought on an instant tinitus relapse)I have owned 2 MX5 Mazdas (still have the second) and 2 Sunbeam Tigers (should never have sold the first one, second was a complete dog and lasted 3 months till I got shot of it).
Old 12 Feb 2004, 00:23 (Ref:871355)   #19
NickReeve
Rookie

NickReeve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I noticed it too but too late to edit - they were great cars but I think the real test of greatness is whether you would buy another the same. I have only done that a couple of times (although I did think about a second Type R Integra briefly, the test drive brought on an instant tinitus relapse)I have owned 2 MX5 Mazdas (still have the second) and 2 Sunbeam Tigers (should never have sold the first one, second was a complete dog and lasted 3 months till I got shot of it).
Have to say it, Mike, but my Integra 'R' was probably one of the best all-rounders I've ever had in my life and having to hand it back (abolition of Company Car scheme) very nearly broke my heart. On the other hand, it WAS noisy, I DID pick up three speeding tickets in 10 months, and the memsahib and I used to fight over who got to drive it every time we went out. The Morris just makes her laugh and she scared of the TR8 so I'll stick with them I think. I did try a Scooby out as a replacement for the Integra, but somehow it just felt too civilised.......
Old 15 Feb 2004, 22:17 (Ref:875125)   #20
blackhands
Racer

blackhands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Wheatley & Morgan recommend 'Steam Oil'?