Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Oct 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3466638)   #101
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They don't seem to try to sell Falcons. Hell, I could make a better ad than what they have now.

Compare Falcons with family sized SUVs and list the many benefits. Better fuel economy, better performance, smoother ride, better handling, lower price, cheaper servicing and then go patriotic, right at the end. Ford Falcon, the great Australian family car.

Bang, there' an ad synopsis right there and I reckon it would be better than what they have now.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 04:21 (Ref:3466643)   #102
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
They don't seem to try to sell Falcons. Hell, I could make a better ad than what they have now.

Compare Falcons with family sized SUVs and list the many benefits. Better fuel economy, better performance, smoother ride, better handling, lower price, cheaper servicing and then go patriotic, right at the end. Ford Falcon, the great Australian family car.

Bang, there' an ad synopsis right there and I reckon it would be better than what they have now.
just saying a kia sorrento provides better economy. more torque, better towing capacity more luggage space than a ford Falcon, through in some serious luxury items, 7 seats and a 7 year warranty. how does a Falcon/Commodore stack up to that
Old 20 Oct 2014, 04:37 (Ref:3466647)   #103
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
just saying a kia sorrento provides better economy. more torque, better towing capacity more luggage space than a ford Falcon, through in some serious luxury items, 7 seats and a 7 year warranty. how does a Falcon/Commodore stack up to that
That would be a diesel sorento?
Old 20 Oct 2014, 04:46 (Ref:3466649)   #104
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
That would be a diesel sorento?
Yes

however as a comparison, Falcon XR6 is only 0.3l/100km better than a petrol sorrento

Last edited by peckstar; 20 Oct 2014 at 04:55.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 01:54 (Ref:3466966)   #105
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of the day people buy what they want. Unfortunately, I don't think the best advert in the world would make a significant change for Falcon sedan sales. I asked my friends and relation why they bought SUVs and/or dual cab utes because I loathe them. A reasonable percentage of them said "they feel safer" in a big barge. They haven't been told they are safer, its about perception.

None of them needed 7 seats, and most have never used the 6th/7th seat. Only 1 of them could justify the purchase by towing capacity - 3500kg. Most run diesel - but I note that diesel in Europe is considered a worse environmental option by some players.

For me, my XR6 converted to dual fuel petrol/LPG offers the best compromise of ride, handling, safety, range, economy and towing capacity (2300kg). It comfortably handled towing my track day toy from Melbourne to Queensland and back with no issues.

Its a pity the Falcons will be gone in 2016 and Commodores the year after, but unless my mindset changes dramatically, there will never be an SUV in my driveway. If the wallet permits, a 2016 XR8 converted to dual fuel could well be my next set of wheels, as a long term keeper.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 05:55 (Ref:3466996)   #106
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
I don't think the best advert in the world would make a significant change for Falcon sedan sales.
Tell that to Australia's Jeep dealers. Surely no one is buying any of the Jeep range because they are the best offering out there.

They are selling in record numbers because of a brilliant advertising campaign.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3467102)   #107
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ford still open to V8 future

Nash also revealed that FPR has been more proactive engaging Ford dealers in a bid to try to entice Ford to stay.

It is also believed the team is open to the idea of running multiple models across its four-car entries
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/motor...18-117cm4.html
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:32 (Ref:3467277)   #108
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
FG X Is Nearly Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Dec 2014, 04:15 (Ref:3480573)   #109
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now official...

Story Here

Story Here Too

Old 1 Dec 2014, 04:49 (Ref:3480578)   #110
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thankfully it is only a Ford Australia announcement.

It is extremely unlikely that Ford as a global company would sit by and watch the introduction of the Mustang and other performance models to this country and give Holden / Chev and the other competing manufacturers a massive free kick by staying out of the action, particularly given Ford Racing's success with, and high profile support of, the Mustang and other models globally.

Ford Australia was never going to be in this game for long after manufacturing cessation was announced.

Here's hoping we will see a Blue Oval global announcement of factory support re-appearing within the next couple of years.

Personally, I'm just glad that Geoff Polites is not around to see what all his hard work & personal determination & endeavour, and that of David Morgan before him, looks like now, with a succession of short term / highly unsuccessful (anyone remember Bill Osbourne?) Ford presidents at the helm since them.

Nothing worse than having a love of the brand and pride in what it has achieved on & off the race track over the last 4 or 5 decades, ignored and diluted to the point of nothingness by incompetent business practises and uninspired leadership since the mid 00's .... a shame, but look to the future and hope for a sponsorship re-commitment once the dust has settled on this current situation.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 05:58 (Ref:3480591)   #111
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this history repeating itself? Ford had no factory representation from late 70's thru mid 90's?
Old 1 Dec 2014, 06:06 (Ref:3480594)   #112
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Three words...

Penske
Ford
Dealers
I wouldn't be surprised
Old 1 Dec 2014, 07:46 (Ref:3480625)   #113
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Ford dealer network is shrinking as fast as others are growing.

Unless Mr Penske stumbles upon a few dealerships that doesn't have the wherewithall to dump their Ford franchise for another, I doubt he'd get involved. Besides, who would be the main beneficiary from it?

Perhaps Ford Australia will shrink to a point where he could be in a position to obtain importation rights to them?
Old 1 Dec 2014, 07:53 (Ref:3480629)   #114
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The Ford dealer network is shrinking as fast as others are growing.

Unless Mr Penske stumbles upon a few dealerships that doesn't have the wherewithall to dump their Ford franchise for another, I doubt he'd get involved. Besides, who would be the main beneficiary from it?

Perhaps Ford Australia will shrink to a point where he could be in a position to obtain importation rights to them?
There are a number of Ford dealers (admittedly multi-franchise) that could help make this happen. The real issue is what the benefit to them might be to join the Dealer Team.

Back in the days of the Moffat Ford Dealers, there were specific cars with option packs that were sold to try and push the link between the racing and the road. HDT did the same thing a few years after that of course, and HSV has been running the same way since 1987...

The link gets difficult when there is no stock to sell of the car you are racing. A Falcon FG X will be on the dealer forecourts somewhere till likely the end of 2016, if not sooner, then its history as a road car.

Instead of FG X, the bods at FPR & Ford would have made more sense to homologate a Mondeo variant now, for 2015 & beyond. Make it something that both has a future, and the dealer network can get excited about a Mondeo beating a Mercedes & a Volvo...

Now, its just twisting in the wind...

Prodrive to Lexus?
Old 1 Dec 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3480640)   #115
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a taxpayer who drives a Ford, is gutless Bob going to give back my taxes, $500 mill from K. (****** ) Rudd for building a piece of **** Eco boost 4 cyl falcon that failed, or be a typical yank , take the money and run.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3480643)   #116
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
As a taxpayer who drives a Ford, is gutless Bob going to give back my taxes, $500 mill from K. (****** ) Rudd for building a piece of **** Eco boost 4 cyl falcon that failed, or be a typical yank , take the money and run.
At least the Eco boost Falcon got delivered, wonder what happened to the 240 million to build the Focus at Broady?
Old 1 Dec 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3480669)   #117
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The FG-X as a roadcar and as a racecar are two years too late.

Homologating the FG-X racer now, will be a complete and utter waste of time off the back of today's news. There's no point bothering to race a car on behalf of the manufacturer that has no interest in investing marketing in it, let alone the roadcar.

This is quite possibly a worse kerfuffle than the arrangement Betty K dragged MBAust into.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3480893)   #118
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 1 Dec 2014, 23:35 (Ref:3480903)   #119
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Can we have a poll?

Will you watch supercars when Ford is gone?

Yes
No
Maybe
Old 1 Dec 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3480906)   #120
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Your best caption, go!
Old 2 Dec 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3480910)   #121
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can we have a poll?

Will you watch supercars when Ford is gone?

Yes
No
Maybe
Would you hold the same pole if Nissan, MB or Volvo left? The series must have pretty shaky foundations if Ford exiting caused it too many problems. I don't think their absence will be noticed within a year or even less.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 00:52 (Ref:3480915)   #122
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Would you hold the same pole if Nissan, MB or Volvo left? The series must have pretty shaky foundations if Ford exiting caused it too many problems. I don't think their absence will be noticed within a year or even less.
None of the others have the fanbase that Ford has, nor the level of success Ford has had historically.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 01:12 (Ref:3480919)   #123
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
No, why would I?
Old 2 Dec 2014, 01:53 (Ref:3480934)   #124
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The FG-X as a roadcar and as a racecar are two years too late.

Homologating the FG-X racer now, will be a complete and utter waste of time off the back of today's news. There's no point bothering to race a car on behalf of the manufacturer that has no interest in investing marketing in it, let alone the roadcar.

This is quite possibly a worse kerfuffle than the arrangement Betty K dragged MBAust into.
The FG-X is more of a cosmetic update for the road car. Obviously retrofitting the panels, getting the aero correct and homolagating it all will be a bit of mucking around, but it's certainly not wasted. The car will be used a minimum of 1 year, I would say it's more likely the teams will run it out for 2016 too, before a more serious overhaul for 2017.

In reality, is it any different to Erebus? I know that's not an ideal setup, but it's a homolagated chassis with no factory backing.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 02:11 (Ref:3480938)   #125
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, why would I?
So, you really do not care about the series as any manufacturer leaving will affect it, some more than Ford's exit will.