Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3717828)   #1
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Surtees

RIP John, great guy great driver and what a great life.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3717831)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll repeat/paraphrase comments from the other thread. Even as an American, this man was one of my driving heros. Every book or article I read while digging through the history of motor sport, this man was in seemingly every series and winning, not just showing up. Still hitting the climb up Lord March's driveway at the only speed this man knew, he still had "it".

The inaugural Can Am driver champion, 7 times world motorcycle champ and F1 champ never won Le Mans, but he only tried 4 times.

Edit: He did win the 12 hours of Sebring in 1963. I'll be sure to pay my respects next week.

RIP John.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 10 Mar 2017 at 17:15.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3717838)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well he had a great and long life, only champion on two and four wheels, always one who said what he thought and was great in not just Grand Prix, but also Can-Am

May he rest in peace, at least he's now reunited with his son who was taken so soon
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3717840)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Absolutely one of the true greats of motorsport.

RIP John Surtees.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3717865)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes RIP John, I have always followed him from his bike days and living very close to him in the UK obviously he was a local celebrity. Several of my friends worked for him when he had the Honda agents and two who worked fabricating his F1 cars went on to form Exactweld who made a very successful racing motor bike. John still used them to make up parts for his collection of motor cycles.
Will we ever see anyone who was World Champion on two & four wheels ? I doubt it !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Mar 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3718109)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I received the notice with grief, thinking he's reunited now with Henry.
A great, true gentleman, and a marvel champion in both two and four wheels.
You'll be missed, Big John.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 09:51 (Ref:3718147)   #7
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I met John Surtees at an awards function. He came and sat at our table and chatted for quite some time. His enthusiasm for motor sport was remarkable and his engineering skills were extremely good. My father was one of his greatest fans, having followed him from motorcycle racing to car racing.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 12:41 (Ref:3718166)   #8
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I'll repeat/paraphrase comments from the other thread. Even as an American, this man was one of my driving heros. Every book or article I read while digging through the history of motor sport, this man was in seemingly every series and winning, not just showing up. Still hitting the climb up Lord March's driveway at the only speed this man knew, he still had "it".
Yeah, I remember Damon Hill driving his Dad's '63 GTO in the 1998 TT Trophy at Goodwood. He tip toed around the circuit in the £6m car, well it might as well been wrapped in cotton wool. The following year Surtees drove it and it didn't matter how much it was worth or who made the car famous, he just drove it "The only speed he knew how".
Old 27 Mar 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3721945)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
In case anyone is interested BBC4 is showing racing legends john surtess at this very moment