Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Oct 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1438596)   #26
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
My local dealer told me that they are expecting to next Audi S6 to be diesil powered and it will be launched next year to coincide with the assault on LeMans

Also VAG are already getting over 300bhp out of the V10 diesel in the Toureg so I am sure thay could get massive power out of a race tuned diesil.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 07:06 (Ref:1438601)   #27
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
power is not an issue it has Turbos after all . depends on the restrictors

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Oct 2005, 09:32 (Ref:1438695)   #28
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
power is not an issue it has Turbos after all . depends on the restrictors
Initially the ACO will want diesels to win as it it will put Le Mans on the front page of the motoring and some general press worldwide. Also they have no real historical data to know how it will perform.

Once they have the publicity splash of a diesel winning LeMans they will surely try and even up the performance of the diesel and gas powered cars.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1438710)   #29
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I find it very unlikely we will see an R10 at Sebring 2006, I am only basing this on what i have heard through the 'vine, which in the past has been extremely reliable................however everyone is entitled to thier own opinions.............as i said, we will have to wait and see.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 10:03 (Ref:1438724)   #30
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Talking of Porsche LMP1 cars, I wonder if they currently testing one thosem behind closed doors at Weissach....
Do they need to? From the performance of the Spyder at Laguna Seca they're only a second or so from the quickest P1 times.

A winters development and it'll be knocking on the door to outright pole positions in the ALMS.

God help any brand new LMP1's by the time it hits the track at Le Mans in 07...
Old 20 Oct 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1438740)   #31
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the hybrids will be quicker though .. and full LMP1 cars even more

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Oct 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1438780)   #32
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Once they have the publicity splash of a diesel winning LeMans they will surely try and even up the performance of the diesel and gas powered cars.
Very easy: restrictors take care of equal power and smaller fuel tank capacity can compensate the fuel economy of diesel cars
Old 20 Oct 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1438862)   #33
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Very easy: restrictors take care of equal power and smaller fuel tank capacity can compensate the fuel economy of diesel cars
Oh the irony....

If only it was that easy and simple. They've been trying that system in GT racing for years. There's always issues of people wanting bigger restrictors and more power. It never ends.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 15:48 (Ref:1438944)   #34
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love 04s
I find it very unlikely we will see an R10 at Sebring 2006, I am only basing this on what i have heard through the 'vine, which in the past has been extremely reliable................however everyone is entitled to thier own opinions.............as i said, we will have to wait and see.

I'm sorry, but if this "vine" is where you get the rest of your information then forgive me if I think little of it.

Old 20 Oct 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1438964)   #35
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R8R
Oh the irony....

If only it was that easy and simple. They've been trying that system in GT racing for years. There's always issues of people wanting bigger restrictors and more power. It never ends.
The answer is simple, remove the restrictors, give every one the same set of rules and the same fuel tank capacity, let them decide which route is going to be best for them, Turbo or not, Petrol or not etc, and let the best team win by making the fastest car, not as is the case now the least penalised.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1440037)   #36
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With no restictors you probably wouldn't see a diesel. But with them, it just makes sense. I think some of us aren't aware of what horsepower actually is. It is just a number. It is the result of an equation, which I don't know off hand, but I know it has to do with torque x RPM. Theoretically the more RPM you can spin the more horspower you will make. This is why you see pneumatically actuated valves in F1. To eliminate the "expensive rev limiter known as the valve spring." You also need to be able to flow the proper amounts of air to support those high revs, and the amount of fuel being flowed into the heads. These air restrictors are the reason that the rotary seems to be worthless. It doesn't have the displacement to make for a drivable engine with good low to mid range torque. So. It becomes dependent on revs to make a lot of peak horsepower. But. With the air restrictors it cannot do this. I'm interested in seeing how Audi's experiment works out.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1461588)   #37
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauer 962
They will announce their 2006 program not before the Essen show, but I don’t expect they will display any other prototype there except the R8.
Just read that the press conference of Audi Sport at Motorshow Essen is cancelled
Old 15 Nov 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1461605)   #38
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe there will not be an R10 afterall..........
Old 15 Nov 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1461611)   #39
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Maybe there will not be an R10 afterall..........
I think there is some uncertainty about their DTM program. This will determine the drivers line up for the Audi R10. I think Kristensen, McNish, Capello, Biela and Pirro will race the new LMP1 car. But what about Werner, Lehto and Kaffer?

And what does Mathias Ekstrom want to do next year: DTM, WRC or maybe LMP1.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1461639)   #40
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Currently AUDI does not confirmed his DTM program and cancelled the annual press conference at the end of november at the Essen Motorshow.
But their are some indications that this is a kind of politics again the Mercedes Benz dominated organisation of the DTM and that the R13 (project R10 is used) or for public AUDI LMP1 would be run in 2006. Currently only the contracts of Krisstensen and Ekström are signed for 2006.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1461653)   #41
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What are Audis issues with Mercedes/DTM?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1461672)   #42
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
What are Audis issues with Mercedes/DTM?
Too many Mercedes people are involved in the organisation of the DTM. It is rumoured that their are a lot of decisions "pro Merc". Interesting is also that a Mercedes employee (Klaus Ludwig) is a commentator for the german TV. Mr. Auffrecht (of AMG) is CEO of the ITR (the organisators of the DTM). And now it is rumoured that AUDI is doing a little politics to get their "part of the cake" and to change some things.

On the other hands their are some rumours in germany that the new Volkswagen CEO wants to safe mones and that SEAT is the TouringCar make, AUDI the Sportcars make, etc.

For me personally for 2006 it is at the moment only a "political poker".
Old 15 Nov 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1461744)   #43
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz.lmp1
On the other hands their are some rumours in germany that the new Volkswagen CEO wants to safe mones and that SEAT is the TouringCar make, AUDI the Sportcars make, etc.
What is Wolfgang Bernhard's opinion about Skoda? Will they still do WRC?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1461806)   #44
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Another example of someone who needs to trade in his sources on new ones. Remember the bit about Audi being "out to get" Zytek at Petit? This "opinion" is as realistic as that one.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1461872)   #45
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it just me or is it odd that we have yet to see anything on the R10 or the new Lola that Dyson will be racing. I guess I don't remember the last time a big prototype was launched. It just seems it would have been finalised by now, i.e. Essen.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 01:28 (Ref:1461876)   #46
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
Another example of someone who needs to trade in his sources on new ones. Remember the bit about Audi being "out to get" Zytek at
Petit? This "opinion" is as realistic as that one.
I remember posting (on the ALMS board) what I heard a guy from the Zytek team say on the broadcast. It was something like "I hear they were gunning for us...". I believe I said "now that's a little much ". I took what the guy from Zytek said as he believed Audi was trying to take them out, not that I thought Audi was trying to take Zytek out. Still a little much, but not as bad as saying Audi was aiming to wreck the Zytek.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1462009)   #47
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs346
Is it just me or is it odd that we have yet to see anything on the R10 or the new Lola that Dyson will be racing. I guess I don't remember the last time a big prototype was launched. It just seems it would have been finalised by now, i.e. Essen.

The Porsche RS Spyder was up and running well before we ever saw pictures.

Theres a difference between giving a program the go ahead, and finalising the teams etc. to run the cars.

Its still 4 moths or so away from Sebring.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1462197)   #48
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Audi LMP is out there.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1462271)   #49
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Audi LMP is out there.
You can't leave it at that! At least a few hints please!
Old 16 Nov 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1462279)   #50
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllonFS
At least a few hints please!
When the car starts at the 12h Sebring the car would be well proved