Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1456560)   #26
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Better move this to the sportscar forum, it's more cromulent there.

www.f1rejects.com has a good profile of him, showing that he's done many years of sportscar racing, and (IIRC, I'm in a hurry) his racign was funded by money he raised himself, and not by his nobleman background, so he may have an engineering background.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1456563)   #27
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I remember correctly, Lavaggi was a design engineer by trade and started his own engineering business, many years before he raced in the higher levels of single seaters.

Looking at his personal website, he sounds like a nice enough guy who managed to raise the money to rent a drive in F1, like any of us would do given the chance! Good luck to him, it sounds like an ambitious project.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1456566)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Aysedas has pointed out a link to a thread about the Sportscar efforts. Check it out for the latest.

However this thread is good for Lavaggi and his F1 efforts.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1456572)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People must have been looking the other way for the last fifteen years when Lavaggi regularly raced sportscars.

As for F1, he knew he was never going to pull up any trees, but he had a life long dream which he worked hard for and he tended to keep the car on the track.

F1's moved on from the likes of him now, but he did keep Minardi in business for a while longer.

Good old Johnny Carwash
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1456667)   #30
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Portuguese GP 1996: Lavaggi is about to be overlapped by MS then in P3. Jonathan Palmer talks about the elastic effect explaining (ad nauseam) to the TV viewers why the cars look as if they are closing in under braking while the leading car looks as if it is pulling away in the straits.

I am sitting on the tip of my chair bashing the TV director for not showing what is going on behind MS as I noticed JV closing in at the same occasion. Suddenly, as the TV shows the view from MS inboard camera, we see the right front wheel of another car next to MS and dangerously close to MS' front left wheel. I know it is JV and Murray interrupts Palmer's insipid monologue. JV is trying to overtake MS from the outside.

As both cars get into the straight side by side, the Williams "slowly" overtakes the Ferrari. This is not the end of the story as JV must get back in front of the Ferrari before getting into the gearbox of Lavaggi. He does so just on time. MS goes for the outside but JV makes it first to the next corner. JV can now attack Alesi (IIRC) and Damon Hill still in the lead (JV ultimately won the race).

MS was pis ****ed off after the race toward GL for not having given way earlier. The following day, a Montreal newspaper had as title on its front page: "Villeneuve se fait un prénom!" (Villeneuve makes his firstname known!).

Thank you Johnny Carwash!

P.S. I also recall Lavaggi for often having seen his picture with gorgeous pit babes.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 04:20 (Ref:1456919)   #31
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Lavaggis threads have been merged.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 07:11 (Ref:1456967)   #32
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandprixdiary
and the machine will be powered by a six-litre Ford V8 prepared in America by PME.
Right ..... who exactly is "PME" ??? Anything to do with Penske Nascar effort ?
Old 10 Nov 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1457118)   #33
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I primarily remember Lavaggi for being the playboy who whipped Fisichella out of his seat at Minardi in '97 I think.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1457161)   #34
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Right ..... who exactly is "PME" ??? Anything to do with Penske Nascar effort ?
"Pro-Motor Engines" out of Mooresville, NC.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1457230)   #35
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bramzel, it was '96 to be picky, but you are right apart from that :0)
Old 10 Nov 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1457315)   #36
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Luckily Fisichella ended up quite well
Old 10 Nov 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1457471)   #37
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
think Lavaggi also had a couple of drives with the Pacific (or should that have been Pacific-Lotus...?...) team during 1995. Without success, obviously...

I used to have a video file of Lavaggi having retired from the Italian GP in '96 - or at least I think it was Italy. He was slowly, calmly getting out of the car, blissfully unaware that it was on fire... once he spotted the fire, he soon legged it! Quite an amusing vid me thinks...
Old 10 Nov 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1457549)   #38
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give the guy a break. He's lapped Le Mans in a 962 in under 3mins 25. That's good going IMHO.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1457590)   #39
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
I used to have a video file of Lavaggi having retired from the Italian GP in '96 - or at least I think it was Italy. He was slowly, calmly getting out of the car, blissfully unaware that it was on fire... once he spotted the fire, he soon legged it! Quite an amusing vid me thinks...
I think that would have been practice for the German GP of '96.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1460308)   #40
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
Portuguese GP 1996: Lavaggi is about to be overlapped by MS then in P3......
Yes I remember that, what a great move, also remember Murray's hyper commentary (on board with Schuey)- "Look left, thats Villeneuve!!! He's going through...But Lavaggi is in his way!!! FANTASTIC DRIVING FROM BOTH OF THEM!!!" (or something like that... )
Old 15 Apr 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1582856)   #41
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
According Mulsanne's Corner the car will test within 2 months.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/news.html
Old 15 Apr 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1582961)   #42
Spyder
Rookie

Spyder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
Give the guy a break. He's lapped Le Mans in a 962 in under 3mins 25. That's good going IMHO.
I agree. A couple of F1 drives at age 37 in awful cars notwithstanding, old Johnny has done OK... the guy is not a playboy, but an engineer who took up racing at 25 and raced sportscars at WC level for years (won the Daytona 24 Hours in 1995, remember?) and went as high as his own money and sponsors could get him in single seaters. Then he set up a sportscar team and did pretty well there too... remember the 2001 Monza 1000 kms where a stuck throttle put the Ferrari-Judd in the gravel and 4 laps back on lap 4 - only for Lavaggi to storm back through a strong field (Lammers, Bourdais, Bouillon, Guy Smith, Ben Collins et al) to win and set fastest lap?

Now let's see if he can design an LMP1.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 08:07 (Ref:1655132)   #43
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
According to http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=2328 the car will be presented this Saturday during the 1000 km of Nürburgring. The car will participate the 1000 km of Donington
Old 13 Jul 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1655232)   #44
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello

Yes but will he now stop his current LMP1 project and start on a new one for the new coupe rules LMP1 for 2010? Would be nice to actually see it competing at Donington though.

Nick
Old 15 Jul 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1656967)   #45
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
endurance-info has a sneak preview of the car: http://www.endurance-info.com/2006_L...ring/Quizz.jpg

More details this evening.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1657011)   #46
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
jet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More pics
Old 15 Jul 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1657012)   #47
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
http://www.endurance-info.com/articl...&mode=&order=0

The car looks very "angular" and "heavy".

Last edited by FIRE; 15 Jul 2006 at 18:04.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1657014)   #48
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's no oil painting either - that's gotta be the ugliest nose I've seen since the original Lister (and its continuing rhinoplasty!)
Old 15 Jul 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1657094)   #49
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is it a problem with the pics or is the rollover structure material realy much thinner?
Old 15 Jul 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1657131)   #50
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, it looks like it was built on a very small budget doesn't it? I hope this isn't quite the finished article in someways. The bits of bodywork on the tail that rise up to meet the wing endplates look like they might be made from a block of balsa wood and held in place with double-sided tape. The steering wheel (at least what you can see of it) looks a bit like a mock-up too, though that maybe just the photo...