Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Dec 2001, 02:10 (Ref:187144)   #1
66stang
Rookie

66stang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
St Mary's Shutout

Why did this years Goodwood St Mary's race cut off at 1963? Was it to exclude the rapid Mustangs that dominated last year? Would love to see Sir Jack powersliding a 65 coupe around Goodwood as in the old days.

Granted, Marshall was pretty quick in the Cortina, but I would loved to see a couple of quick stangs in there to give the Cortinas a race.
Anybody know how the lap times compared to last years St Mary's? Sorry if this is an old topic, but Speedvision just showed the Goodwood segment last night.

Thanks/Jeff
Old 19 Dec 2001, 13:12 (Ref:187614)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you will find it was also to stop the Mini's runing with the larger engines. Its more commercially popular if a Ford or Jaguar won. Its interesting that Alfa GTA's have never been invited..
Old 20 Dec 2001, 07:41 (Ref:187926)   #3
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A Volvo has....
Old 20 Dec 2001, 08:08 (Ref:187931)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NOT SURE WHAT ELSE THERE IS TO SAY!!! WERE VOLVO'S ACTIVE IN CIRCUIT RACING AT THAT TIME?? PRESUMABLY THEY WERE
Old 20 Dec 2001, 08:25 (Ref:187934)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, they did. Les Leston used to race one. About 1961, I think. Didn't Gunnar Andersson and Tom Trana do the occasional circuit race too?
Old 20 Dec 2001, 08:41 (Ref:187936)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

I BOW TO YR GREATER KNOWLEDGE JUST KNOW THAT IT WOULDNT DO IT FOR ME!!
MAYBE YOU CAN HELP ME CONCERNING SABRE SIX'S DID THEY HAVE PERIOD RACING HISTORY??? I KNOW THEY HAD RALLY HISTORY BUT I AM CONSIDERING ONE AND WOULD LIKE TO NKOW IF IT WOULD HAVE A CAT IN HELLS CHANCE OF A GOODWOOD TICKET!!CERTAINLY THEY ARE A CHEAP FIA CAR BUT I AM A BIT WORRIED ABT THEIR COMPETITIVENESS
Old 20 Dec 2001, 10:59 (Ref:187955)   #7
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon - Reliant Sabre, I presume? Predecessor to the Scimitar and designed by Ogle. They weren't popular race cars, as I recall - too big and heavy, I think - and probably too expensive to race in those days, when you could pick up a big Healey for peanuts and run it in clubbies any weekend.

Nothing wrong with racing Volvos either - 122s did pretty well in club races, and I seem to remember some 544s still racing in the late 60s.
Old 20 Dec 2001, 11:08 (Ref:187960)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

so as I feared, they are cheap for a reason!
thx for the info
Old 20 Dec 2001, 14:09 (Ref:188010)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly I've no record of a Sabre 6 competing at Goodwood in any meeting. I did locate two which were campaigned at the time though. PM Swinger and MJ Watts entered a pair of Sabres for the August 1964 meeting at Snetterton.
Old 20 Dec 2001, 15:59 (Ref:188046)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

that is v interesting do you know what the registration of these cars? as I gather the car I am looking at has a long racing history
Old 20 Dec 2001, 21:18 (Ref:188226)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
MAYBE YOU CAN HELP ME CONCERNING SABRE SIX'S ... WOULD LIKE TO NKOW IF IT WOULD HAVE A CAT IN HELLS CHANCE OF A GOODWOOD TICKET!!CERTAINLY THEY ARE A CHEAP FIA CAR BUT I AM A BIT WORRIED ABT THEIR COMPETITIVENESS
Didn't they have the inline six out of the Ford Zephyr Mk 3?

Stand a good chance of getting some reasonable grunt out of that then...
Old 20 Dec 2001, 23:53 (Ref:188294)   #12
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell

Didn't they have the inline six out of the Ford Zephyr Mk 3?

Stand a good chance of getting some reasonable grunt out of that then...
Chance being the operative word - 110.5mph from 108bhp apparently...:

http://www.scimweb.com/se2/index.html

Not a lot, methinks, even by early 60s standards

And you have to wonder if the guy who styled the MGB had owned one:

Old 21 Dec 2001, 00:13 (Ref:188297)   #13
Ray Bell
Veteran

A bit of work should coax a fair bit more than that out of it...
Old 21 Dec 2001, 00:51 (Ref:188307)   #14
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Does it affect the homologation if you put the Mays head on it?

Sorry Simon, no can do with the registrations - my information comes from the race programme, and the cars were also-rans, so did not feature in the Autosport race report the following week.

Didn't the works rally cars have the plates 648GUE to 652GUE? And of course there's 876HWD, which Robin Rew ran in historic sportscar races throughout the 1970s.
Old 21 Dec 2001, 01:04 (Ref:188310)   #15
Ray Bell
Veteran

You could run it in Australia, no problems...

Without the Mays head, unless it was listed as an option... but you'll get plenty of grunt without that. There's a Mk 3 Zephyr running here now, I'd be fairly sure it's getting at least 150 bhp.
Old 25 Dec 2001, 10:56 (Ref:189520)   #16
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting back to the real topic of this thread:
The organisers at Goodwood (and other Historic Festivals) like to play around with the regs from year to year, to give everyone a chance. The classic example is with the Formula Junior race at the Revival Meeting, which seems to be limited to front-engined cars one year and open to rear-engined cars the next.
Old 5 Jan 2002, 00:08 (Ref:194109)   #17
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Going back to the Sabre 6, I've found an article on them in Old Motor Oct 1980. Not much to add, although Tim was over-optimistic re the rally cars: they were 648, 649 & 650 GUE. The Rew car, 876 HWD, was ex-works and extensively hill-climbed and sprinted by Tony Marsh, Bobby Parkes and others.

Apparently there were gearbox problems with later 6s, which were fitted with 5-speed ZFs (4-speeds were better). Rear suspension was also a concern at the time ...

There is one other car pictured: 92 FRP, chassis number 130.

Incidentally, re my comment above on big Healeys: in 1970 you could buy one for just £400!!
Old 5 Jan 2002, 00:43 (Ref:194120)   #18
Ray Bell
Veteran

I nearly bought a BN1 for 150 pounds in 1965, it had damage to a front guard and the guy who was selling it was a panel beater and would fix it for 50 pounds.

It took me too long to sell my 403 and I missed out... missed out on Peugeot ownership for a couple of years (slipped into the mechanical frailty of Simcas!) and missed out on owning a Healey.

Of course, I might have been dead now if I'd bought it....