Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 12 Feb 2002, 08:48 (Ref:214417)   #1
Speeedo
Rookie

Speeedo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barber Dodge Pro Series

Anyone has info on BARBER DODGE PRO Series run in USA and Canada. It is supposed by the Official CART Junior Series and runs alongside CART weekends.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 13:42 (Ref:214536)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep check out there official website at www.barberdodge.com

I love the series , the action is amazing and the drivers seem to really enjoy it as well , I just hope my cable company shows it again this year.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 19:51 (Ref:214799)   #3
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant series ....I see that ex barber dodge driver Ryan Hunter-Raey had a test for a F3 team recently.....Barber dodge is a excelent feeder series from the states , Briish motorsport could learn a lot from it.....
Old 13 Feb 2002, 10:30 (Ref:215089)   #4
Speeedo
Rookie

Brack, Montoya seem to have come from series. It must be good then, any idea where it is covered besides their web-site. It does not have info on what car, schedule, etc. Which are the likely teams etc. it does not say anything?
Old 13 Feb 2002, 11:26 (Ref:215117)   #5
ringo
Racer

ringo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not sure about this years calender. There are no "teams" as all cars are owned, mantained, prepared by the barber dodge people, similar to formula parlmer audi. the car is a reynard 98E powered by a dodge engine that puts out about 265hp. They also have a scholarship system that goes from karts- skip barber regional-skip barber national- barber dodge pro series- toyota atlantics or indy lights when it was alive.
Old 13 Feb 2002, 11:28 (Ref:215119)   #6
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are the costs like? How many races? Any more info...
Old 13 Feb 2002, 11:41 (Ref:215128)   #7
ringo
Racer

ringo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
last year there was 12 rounds, 8 supporting cart races and the others were with Grand American Road Racing events and American Lemans. budgets around US$180,000-200,000.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 04:26 (Ref:215639)   #8
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Barber Dodge Pro Series

Quote:
Originally posted by Speeedo
Anyone has info on BARBER DODGE PRO Series run in USA and Canada. It is supposed by the Official CART Junior Series and runs alongside CART weekends.
I think "Official CART Junior Series" would be big words since it used to be Indy Lights but the series will nto run anymore, it was it's last year in 2001.

But if you look completely at the bottom of the page here:
http://www.cart.com/

You will see that Toyota CART Atlantic is looking like it's the "Official CART Junior Series" and then the Barber Dodge Pro would come 3rd.

It's even more obvious when you look at this in this order:
http://www.cart.com/
http://www.toyotaatlantic.com/
http://www.barberdodge.com/
Old 14 Feb 2002, 14:49 (Ref:215868)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep that right Dan
Old 16 Feb 2002, 08:37 (Ref:216982)   #10
Speeedo
Rookie

So does that make it like the F3 of USA in temrs of upgrade to CART?
Old 16 Feb 2002, 12:22 (Ref:217074)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
yeah basically speedo.

Babrber Dodge = F3
Atlantics = F3000
Champcars = F1

arguably of course but thats basically the way it would stand...although all three european classes i compared them with I believe are actually faster than their american counterparts...again arguablly
Old 16 Feb 2002, 12:28 (Ref:217079)   #12
Speeedo
Rookie

But has any driver gone from BDP to CART straight, like F3 to F1
Old 16 Feb 2002, 12:53 (Ref:217099)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Going straight from Barbers to CART would be much mroe difficult because of the influx of drivers from European series such as F3000 over recent years. Indy Lights and Toyota Atlantic were basically in conflict, Atlantic winning due to the prestigious history and strong support, Barber seems to mainly produce Atlantic drivers, but some end up in CART or IRL
Old 16 Feb 2002, 13:17 (Ref:217113)   #14
Speeedo
Rookie

hey but then what happens to USF3 which incidentally is a running c'ship, I just found out on usf3.net Now does that make things more complicated.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 03:16 (Ref:217494)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I didnt even know the USA had an F# series ????

this is getting way to complicated

I doubt that you could go from Barber dodge to CART ...there is a big difference but possibly someone will know this path has been created but it would be more wise to go to Atlantics.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 03:46 (Ref:217499)   #16
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
yeah basically speedo.

Babrber Dodge = F3
Atlantics = F3000
Champcars = F1

arguably of course but thats basically the way it would stand...although all three european classes i compared them with I believe are actually faster than their american counterparts...again arguablly

Here is a pretty good place to know which series goes where and what it's quivalent, it's from a Mike Zinger's Speedsport :

http://www.speedsportmag.de/speedsport/raceseries.php

I once had another one of these comparative schemas but it's the only one I have left.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 06:27 (Ref:217523)   #17
Rookie

#57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For $180,000 I would much rather do the U.S.F2000 Zetec series. BDPS is a glamour school series with big overweight cars.

U.S.F2000 = F. Renault
Old 17 Feb 2002, 15:35 (Ref:217784)   #18
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by #57
For $180,000 I would much rather do the U.S.F2000 Zetec series. BDPS is a glamour school series with big overweight cars.

U.S.F2000 = F. Renault

Last summer I was in Toronto and did see the Barber Dodge Pro series, and was not very impresed by it. I heard they've got Chrysler Neon motors, anyone knows if that's true?

But still, is'nt BDPS more prestigious than U.S.F2000 ?

BPPS; how many race per season? How many with CART ?
U.S.F2000; how many race per season? How many with CART ?
Old 17 Feb 2002, 20:10 (Ref:218009)   #19
FlyingFinn
Rookie

FlyingFinn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#57,

The Barber Dodge Pro Series is the official entry level series to the Cart FedEx championship. Any of the drivers that can run to the front in this series can compete against anyone and do well at the higher levels. For $180,000 you get equal cars, the races broadcast on Espn2(a highly watched sports network in the States if you are not familiar), and constant coaching from some of the best instructors in the US. That, and a whole lot more. So, I suppose it is a 'school series' as you say, but to reduce it to that would be over-simplifying things. It is a great series that has produced a lot of good drivers over the years, including Montoya, and it will continue to do so.

As for 'FF2000=FRenault', I don't think you can compare British or European series to those in America. They are different and put you on different paths. If I had to choose bewteen the BDPS and FF2000, it would have to be BDPS, because you know what your are going to get. In FF200 there is a great disparity among the teams. Besides, there are a lot more people in Toyota Atlantic watching the BDPS than FF2000, and Atlantics is the last step to CART in the states.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 23:02 (Ref:218215)   #20
Rookie

#57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FlyingFinn,

Well, i live in the U.S. and i have to agree that you cannot compare a British/European series to one here. Somebody in a previous post did, so i continued the pattern. I must disagree on the cars in BDPS being equal, but that is a arguement i will not touch.

There is not a great deal of disparity with U.S.2000 teams. The teams in Toyota Atlantic are not watching BDPS drivers, they are instead watching to see whose father of a BDPS driver gets a big year end bonus from their employer. When a wealthy team owner in Toyota Alantic wants to help a young driver they normally pay for a season in USF2000. ie Buddy Rice, Aaron Justice etc...

Also, abt Toyota Atlantic being the next step before CART, i don't know abt that. I don't know what the path to a champ car would be. CART owns Toy Atlantic, and Skip Barber made a business deal with CART to be the officail feeder series. In the past few seasons no one has won the Atlantic title and done anything specail, including racing a champ car.

Both USF2000 and BDPS have put out some ok drivers, and a few specail drivers. I think if you talk to a driver who wants to really preapre for a racing career in North America 9 out of 10 times that person will choose USF2000. You really learn alot more when you are with a team and not BDPS chasis no. R87 and one mechanic and one engineer for 5 cars.
Old 18 Feb 2002, 07:37 (Ref:218320)   #21
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
us f3 would be going into its 3rd year now i think :confused: - suprised it has gone this long...... the cart sanctioned series like barber dodge and atlantics are great, aswell as us f2000. should be interesting to see the infinity pro series (irl feeder series) when that gets going.
Old 18 Feb 2002, 09:05 (Ref:218338)   #22
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky TV just got round to showing coverage of Round 4 at Lime Rock.Repeated twice tonight.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 13:01 (Ref:220031)   #23
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Here is the CART Ladder System:

CART "Stars of Tomorrow" Karting Program
Formula Dodge National Championship Presented by Racer
Barber Dodge Pro Series
CART Toyota Atlantic Championship
CART FedEx Championship Series

As found here: http://www.autoracing1.com/rumors.htm