Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 5 Jun 2002, 23:02 (Ref:305831)   #1
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PowerTour is dead - how long will F3/GTs live?

The concept of PowerTour, a decent package of racing backed by the promotion it deserves including adverts and radio coverage, is now dead and buried. While some circuits, like Knockhill, are keeping up the status of the event, at others it's just reverted to the bunch of races it was in '99.

With Superweekenders now, will F3 and GTs eventually become just support races to Touring Cars, or will there be a future with the two championships on their own package?

Personally I think that there is a demand for two top line race series in Britain (TOCATour and "PowerTour"), to be promoted to a similar level.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 08:23 (Ref:306079)   #2
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3 will survive, it is regarded as the single seat feeder series for F1, but maybe not for much longer if the standards don't improve.

My comments as to what should happen to the GT series, and also the reasons behind the apparent rapid decline, have been written elsewhere, so I wont go into them at this time.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 09:09 (Ref:306108)   #3
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the F3/GT programme is much better than a couple of years ago, with a proper structure with support races etc. I think it always be considered a 'second' package behind the Toca Tour, but although the Powertour was unltimately deemed a failure, I think there have been some advantages.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 13:16 (Ref:306391)   #4
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question I'm trying to ask is not whether F3 itself will continue, but whether it and the British GT Championship will continue to race as the headline acts of a package of races.

I agree that PowerTour was, and always would be, a second package behind Touring Cars. If Touring Cars is the premier league then PowerTour is Division 1. But compared to last year, when it seemed more glamourous and attractive (with VIP passes for all competitors, a proper radio station keeping the crowds entertained, pit lane walkabouts at every venue), it just seems to be a lot less entertaining. Surely Britain's second motorsport package deserves a bit of promotion, including its own radio station?
Old 6 Jun 2002, 13:53 (Ref:306420)   #5
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that it deserves it, but it depends if it makes financial sense.