Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 24 May 2003, 22:29 (Ref:609057)   #76
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A definite buy for me Damon, but that's the first time I've seen a suggestion that its out already.
Old 24 May 2003, 22:31 (Ref:609062)   #77
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same, I think I'll have an ask tomorrow and see what they say at the shop. I'll let you know...
Old 25 May 2003, 16:28 (Ref:609598)   #78
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I went to ask Smiths today and they said it's listed as a Jan 2004 release date. Looks like there was an error on their website.
Old 25 May 2003, 17:07 (Ref:609640)   #79
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Aha, well, we thought as much.
Old 26 May 2003, 14:25 (Ref:610492)   #80
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just finished Eddie Jordan Autobiography - it's a bit of though read, but well worth it.
Old 26 May 2003, 18:53 (Ref:610729)   #81
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Irvine? It may be a decent read, but I can think of a lot of other drivers' books I'd prefer to read first......
Old 26 May 2003, 19:08 (Ref:610738)   #82
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
It's Eddie Jordan Ayse.
Old 27 May 2003, 07:04 (Ref:611143)   #83
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thank the Lord for that. I better read the posts more carefully in the future.......
Old 29 May 2003, 19:12 (Ref:613990)   #84
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off formula 1 for this one, but i have just finished reading Derek Bell, my racing life. I hadnt realised just how long he's been driving and the variety of cars he's driven. Only problem is it was written in 1988! Does anyone know if theres been anything more recent? Bookshops round here are cr*p, managed to find it the library.
Old 30 May 2003, 07:13 (Ref:614415)   #85
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That sounds like a book I'd like to read spanner. But no, I'm not aware of anything more recent, I'm afraid.
Old 30 May 2003, 07:14 (Ref:614417)   #86
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
BTW, what does he say about losing Le Mans in 1988? Or does the book not take it that far?
Old 30 May 2003, 07:30 (Ref:614433)   #87
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it was written before the season as he does talk about what he will be doing in 1988. He does make it clear how he felt about the fuel consumption era, also theres some nice pics of the 956/962. Now which thread was that on.....
Old 10 Jun 2003, 10:03 (Ref:626910)   #88
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone is interested in the Murray Walker Autobiography in paperback, it is on sale for £3.75 in your local Tesco store.
I don't know what it is like I only bought it last night.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 12:48 (Ref:627034)   #89
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
If there's anyone near Southampton who doesn't have a copy of Murray's book - he's signing copies at WH Smiths in the precinct between 4.30 and 5.30 p.m. on 19th June.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 18:36 (Ref:627417)   #90
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spoted that Murray had brought the book out in paperback today, the hard back version only came out 10 months ago - do you think he needs the cash.........
Old 11 Jun 2003, 07:19 (Ref:627856)   #91
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know but according to the back cover of the paperback, it has a new chapter in it. Don't know which one?
Old 25 Jun 2003, 07:17 (Ref:642286)   #92
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Likewise with the DVD/videos thread, as there is little "traffic" coming in here (although I'd really like to encourage it), I'm unsticking the thread.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 17:29 (Ref:726714)   #93
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Update for Time and Two Seats, from the writer himself:
Quote:
The current TATS goes up through 1998.

I'm now working on a photo book that apart from captions will have very little text and no tables. It will cover the 1953-1992 period, possibly in separate volumes.

I have also kept text, tables, and photos up to date from 1999-2003. Unsure yet how these will be published--lots of internal debate. I may only publish the current year ('03 or '04) as a yearbook and not do the previous years until possibly a major TATS update in about 5 years time.

As to updates for the tables, that will be published as a mini-volume
sometime during 2005, tables only for a nominal price.

What will not and never be repeated from the original TATS are the
narratives.
Oh, great, as if it weren't enough that I still have to get TATS, now he's going to do a photo companion? How will my bank account ever survive?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Sep 2003, 23:48 (Ref:727174)   #94
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know the feeling - I'm the proud owner of a "Time and Two Seats" and wouldn't part with it for anything. The news that there's an illustrated companion volume and a probable supplementary edition on their way has me looking at what I can sell to get my hands on them.

Hmm... now to find a nice tame bank to rob.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 07:30 (Ref:727345)   #95
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
What is the going rate for TATS at the moment?
Old 23 Sep 2003, 08:30 (Ref:727392)   #96
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's still available new for £149.50 at all good motor bookshops. Of course, I'd say the name of the bookshop I'd advise getting it from, but I'm biased. I work there!
Old 23 Sep 2003, 12:24 (Ref:727648)   #97
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Is there a discount rate for multiple purchases.......?

Old 23 Sep 2003, 15:01 (Ref:727795)   #98
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally, I'll be going straight to the source - $195 US + S&H. I'd only consider going through a book store if it were of comparable price (ie markup to cover the S&H, not more than 5% premium on top of that) but I suspect I'd be able to get my favourite Panoz 2003 driver to do just that for me...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Oct 2003, 14:24 (Ref:740313)   #99
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I have just finished Burt BS Levy's Potside Companion, and will order his other books.

I enjoyed Sam Posey's Mudge Pond Express years ago.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 17:51 (Ref:741164)   #100
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by skycafe
I have just finished Burt BS Levy's Potside Companion, and will order his other books.
Levy's other three books are fiction and relate Sports Car Racing's early days in the US (1950s). In true storyteller fashion, Levy inserts his characters into actual events and associates them with real people (drivers) of the period. Some names have been changed to avoid legal action, but the personalities DID exist. The jacket of the first book also details Levy's personal trials and tribulations in getting the book published.

1."The Last Open Road", ISBN 0-9642107-0-3: We are introduced to "Buddy" Palumbo, a teen aged mechanic (MGs & Jaguars, highly sought after in the US in 1952) who may or may not be Levy's alter ego. Buddy has a job at a gas station which becomes a mecca for imported cars due to his skills. Various characters and their cars are introduced. "Buddy" goes to various venues as a mechanic and in general describes Sports Car racing as it was in those days.

2."Monezuma'a Ferrari", ISBN 0-94642107-1-1: "Buddy" accompanies one of the charcters to the "Carerra Panamerica" (Mexican Road Race) and in general grows up a little bit. More scenes of famous races and people.

3."The Fabulous Trashwagon", ISBN 0-9642107-5-4: "Buddy" finally gets to build his own car and discovers "aerodynamic lift".

Burt Levy can at time be verbose and has more than once used every concievable adjective to describe things but all in all the books are fun to read. Please read them in the order in which they are listed.

My copies have been autographed by Bert as I have ment him many times at various "Historic" races events in the US.

The ISBN callouts will aid your local library or bookshop in ordering the books.