Blowfish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is TKM supported at Rye?
Old 10 Nov 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2332430)   #77
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TKM for adults is supported at Rye and also quite well supported at Whilton Mill which is near Daventry just off the M1.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2332712)   #78
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, at Rye the grids aren't p[articularly huge, not compared to the Rotax classes. But I think as people are now looking to save money, TKM may become bigger again.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2333223)   #79
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm running my son in the Junior TKM 4 stroke class next year. The engine is bullet proof and quick and will do between 50-100 hours before a rebuild. It's all sealed and cheating is strictly monitored. You can probably pick up a complete outfit ready to go at this time of the year and at a really good price. The senior entry level is always pretty good.

Tyres are of a hard compound which will last you longer than those used by the Rotax classes.

The F6 club run a friendly championship based in the south of the country, where the races are on a Saturday.

Try www.ukkarting.co.uk for a decent used outfit.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2334744)   #80
Blowfish
Rookie

Just won this

Is it a good deal and what should i look out for when collecting?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=280283158098
Old 14 Nov 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2334782)   #81
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say pretty good deal.

Make sure whe you get the kart you get the Rotax Log Book for the engine, this holds the records of all the servicing ever done on the kart, and check the seal number in the log book against the seal number on the engine (its usually down the left side of the engine at bottom of the barrel).
Old 14 Nov 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2334795)   #82
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfish
Is it a good deal and what should i look out for when collecting?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=280283158098
I was watching that and considering bidding myself. It looks pretty good. The final price wasn't so bad I think. If you want to be particularly careful, follow some of the pointers here.

Before you collect the kart, ask the guy for the engine number and the current seal number. Call Jean at JAG, the importers, on 01892 611805 and verify that its correct and not stolen etc...

Second, check the engine number and seal when you go to collect it against the log book.

Third, make sure that the guy starts the motor for you... give it a couple of blips on the throttle and then shut it off. Tell him before you collect it that you'll want to start it and that he should charge the battery beforehand to make sure that's possible.

Outside of that, take a good look around the frame for the usual cracks, damage... and that's it.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2334816)   #83
Blowfish
Rookie

Thanks guys'!

Just spoke to Jean and it all checks out!
Old 14 Nov 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2334834)   #84
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great... well may you wear as they say !
Old 16 Nov 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2335535)   #85
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Nice.
Well done blowfish, now get out there and enjoy it
Old 2 Dec 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2345819)   #86
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
karting.co.uk has a marketplace section.

Ebay is a pretty good bet too.

Good Choice by the way, Rotax's are great!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2347623)   #87
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be very careful with Ebay, theres a lot of rubbish on there. Look at karting.co.uk as Peat says, read their threads on purchase and it may help you avoid the pitfalls. Where you based?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2347636)   #88
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey didnt you buy a Tony off Ebay already? I think this got answered after you bought maybe! Hows it going? Ive got a Tony soemwhere in the garage and have had a couple before - nice karts.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 06:13 (Ref:2349378)   #89
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
mmmmm....tony karts.......(oh sorry mind wandering)
Old 8 Dec 2008, 20:01 (Ref:2350456)   #90
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeahh I have a Tony too....

I need to get out there again...

mmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2397910)   #91
rmpoole
Rookie

rmpoole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
advice for someone starting out

I have a very keen 7yaer old who wants to get into karting. we have a local track but was wondering if this is too young? do you need knowledge of the kart setup ie mechanics etc.. to get involved and how much do these things cost?
Old 15 Feb 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2397927)   #92
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At 7 years old I think you can drive at test days but have to be eight to race.

Get you son to your local track, I'm sure that they'll run corporate karts, this will give him a taster and get him used to driving.

If he's still keen get in touch with a race team that runs cadet karts and get them to run him in a test day its not cheap (iro £250) but its better than buying all of the gear and finding out he doesn't like it.

Also try getting to some actual race meetings and getting a feel for it. You could also look on the UK Karting and Karting1 websites as they are full of advice and links to other sites.

I run my 14 year old in TKM and its a great hobby for the pair of us, but be warned it does take up a lot of your time.

Tony
Old 15 Feb 2009, 23:55 (Ref:2398219)   #93
wheadon
Racer

England
Carlisle/Newcastle
wheadon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you looked into the racng for buttons scheme?

http://www.racingforbuttons.co.uk/index.html
Old 17 Feb 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2399106)   #94
rmpoole
Rookie

I have been to our local track ( Teeside Autodrome) they said I cant use there karts until he is 8 due to insurance. I can however put on the track in his own Kart.

Is it a case of ebay or are there better ways of buying them.

I am no mecahnic and am concerned about the maintenace issue's when things go wrong. Or is it easy enough to pick up?
Old 18 Feb 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2399645)   #95
Sideswipe
Rookie

Sideswipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, you need a cadet kart. It should have either a Comer, WTP or Honda engine.

I'd check the UK Karting market place as well as ebay.

Are you planning on racing or is it just for a bit of fun? I'd also have a look at Easykart. You can only race in the national championship but can test anywhere.

If you find something, post it up here and I'm sure we can tell you whether it is worth pursuing.

With regards to cost, all the extras and spares will add up so try and find a "package" rather than just a kart.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 17:54 (Ref:2399782)   #96
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Get a honda if you dont know much about mechanicals - they are dead simple as they are basically generator engines.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2400742)   #97
rmpoole
Rookie

Ive got him a run out in a bambino kart at our local track as he is only 3' 10". Providing he takes to it Ive been offered a kart for around £1100 new with a Comer engine.

More than one person has told me there is no second hand market for this type of kart. Is this the case? before I spend 1k on a kart!!
Old 20 Feb 2009, 13:52 (Ref:2400850)   #98
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Comers? They are still about - maybe not locally to you but Comers race around the country. Whats the new chassis you have been offered? Is the engine new too? Does it come with a set of wheels and tyres?
Old 20 Feb 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2400992)   #99
Sideswipe
Rookie

Sideswipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't agree there is no second hand market at all.

Post what you have been offered up here and I'll see if I can find you something better
Old 22 Feb 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2401767)   #100
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
awwwwwwww 7 years old....so cute

sorry I cant help as Im in Australia , but listen to the guys here and they will steer you straight.

I think comer engines are being phased out here in Oz , so I would imagine in england and europe that have or are already gone.

Mate im 34 and run my own rotax in Oz , I dont know squat about mechanical stuff but im doing just fine, most people at your local club will help , some wont and will steer you in the wrong direction but 95 % of the people will help you with what you need.

Thats how it is in Oz im sure Mother England is the same.

take the test , see how he goes and if its what he wants then give it a go (with the right combo and advice) I seriously love watching the kids run around , they are brilliant to watch , helmets look like they are crucshing their necks , suits way to big for them and general kids clowning around in the paddock but get them on track then can be more exciting to watch than F1 drivers (not that thats too hard these days)

yes you will spend some money , and it may force you to work more hours or whatever your personal situation is but in the end I have seen it , what an amazing bond some fathers (and mothers for that matter too) have with their kids because of karting.

My 11 year old daughter does not want to drive , has no interest in it at all and barely raises an eyebrow when I come in and say "I won" but she gets a rag and cleans my pods (sometimes) asks me what Im doing to the kart now and helps me unpack and pack up at the end of the day like a trooper.

and Im the happier for it , karting has given myself and my family and outing each month where we can really enjoy the day and enjoy each other (except when Im having a shocker and grumpier than the grinch) but we love it and its such a family thing we have involved other families in our shindig and have a whole camp festival going on wgere the men talk crap and the women talk crap and it is such a bonding excercise that I will never look back.

Not much help but keep on karting