Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8 Oct 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3772980)   #196
Umai Naa
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,890
Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering some of the budgets these guys are running would put you in a decent seat in Super2, perhaps cost-containment measures won't be too far away?
Umai Naa is online now  
Quote
Old 8 Oct 2017, 22:51 (Ref:3773091)   #197
mayhem
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Posts: 2,342
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Couldn't agree more. Its a case of the haves and have nots in that series these days.
mayhem is offline  
__________________
The Jerk Store rang...
Quote
Old 8 Oct 2017, 23:05 (Ref:3773096)   #198
johnh875
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Australia
Victoria
Posts: 2,352
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely agree the $$$ are at a pretty scary level. Especially when they go chasing mega horsepower then have rpm limits imposed/lowered or ballast added because of the extra development. There must be smart people around who can come up with an effective way of disincentivising huge spending, although the variety of vehicles makes it difficult. Perhaps just increase the size of the lead trophies?
johnh875 is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Oct 2017, 00:23 (Ref:3773106)   #199
chavez
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Posts: 1,788
chavez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Definitely agree the $$$ are at a pretty scary level. Especially when they go chasing mega horsepower then have rpm limits imposed/lowered or ballast added because of the extra development. There must be smart people around who can come up with an effective way of disincentivising huge spending, although the variety of vehicles makes it difficult. Perhaps just increase the size of the lead trophies?
$1 dollar engine rule.
chavez is online now  
__________________
Real race cars don't have doors.
Quote
Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:08 (Ref:3773553)   #200
V8 Fireworks
Veteran
 
V8 Fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 815
V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Considering some of the budgets these guys are running would put you in a decent seat in Super2, perhaps cost-containment measures won't be too far away?
They are mostly gentleman drivers who are not interested in battling the youngsters in Super2. Either let them spend up big "Jobs and growth in the engine building sector", or they will go and play in the Australian GT series instead surely?

Is it really true that an ace driver can't be competitive with an older, basic Mustang or Monaro? Having not seen aces take the wheel of such things, isn't it premature to say that the big budgets can't be overcome with good driving?
V8 Fireworks is offline  
Quote
Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:32 (Ref:3773555)   #201
bludvl_x19
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Australia
umop apisdn
Posts: 1,380
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
They are mostly gentleman drivers who are not interested in battling the youngsters in Super2. Either let them spend up big "Jobs and growth in the engine building sector", or they will go and play in the Australian GT series instead surely?

Is it really true that an ace driver can't be competitive with an older, basic Mustang or Monaro? Having not seen aces take the wheel of such things, isn't it premature to say that the big budgets can't be overcome with good driving?
It is possible that a great driver in a basic car can be competitive against a basic driver in a great car. But if you look at the pointy end of the grid, you have Bowe in the best Torana, Steve Richards in the best Mustang...just those two alone have to make life hard for the others.
bludvl_x19 is offline  
__________________
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
Quote
Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:59 (Ref:3773557)   #202
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club
 
GTRMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Australia
Sell me this pen....
Posts: 42,558
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Considering some of the budgets these guys are running would put you in a decent seat in Super2, perhaps cost-containment measures won't be too far away?
Hard to see the commercial return on a $250k annual spend plus the cost of building the car, as some at the front are apparently outlaying...
GTRMagic is offline  
__________________
C.D. Bales (Roxanne): "Are we having fun yet?"
Harvey Specter: Anyone can do my job, but no one can be me.
Anyone can be a lost Picasso....
Quote
Old 11 Oct 2017, 07:50 (Ref:3773594)   #203
Umai Naa
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,890
Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some are reportedly spending in the vicinity of $350K a year, on top of the build of the car.
Umai Naa is online now  
Quote
Old 11 Oct 2017, 08:44 (Ref:3773608)   #204
V8 Fireworks
Veteran
 
V8 Fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 815
V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Hard to see the commercial return on a $250k annual spend plus the cost of building the car, as some at the front are apparently outlaying...
What would the bare minimum cost be when employing a paid staff or professional racing team to prepare the car, with no development and stretching the components to their maximum mileage?

It's not really fair to compare with volunteer crewed (or NO crew! :P ) cars, towed around the country by the owner-driver behind their Hilux on a trailer ala some 86 series, Improved Production or second-string Porsche series runners.
V8 Fireworks is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sandown Touring Car Masters Kingair Australasian Touring Cars. 6 16 Sep 2013 00:22
Touring Car Masters cmotd Historic Racing Today 7 30 Mar 2011 23:30
Autobarn Touring Car Masters Aquarius Australasian Touring Cars. 3 18 Mar 2011 06:38
2010 TOURING CAR MASTERS GTRMagic Australasian Touring Cars. 109 14 Dec 2010 14:46
Adelaide Touring Car Masters bluesport Australasian Touring Cars. 11 22 Feb 2008 09:01


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.