Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Spa 6Hrs Endurance
Calendar: Historic Racing
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett

14 Sep 2017 to 17 Sep 2017 23:30 to 21:00
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

The annual pilgrimage to Spa for the 6 hrs and support races.

The latter will include a round of the Jaguar Challenge and combined MRL sports car grids, plus Masters series. U2TC will also have 2 x 40 minute races.

Old 22 Sep 2017, 09:27 (Ref:3769234)   #166
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!
This is a damp qualifying from 2004Click image for larger version

Name:	Spa_zpslmllkthg.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	50520
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Sep 2017, 10:01 (Ref:3769235)   #167
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
RAM Cobra! GTD40! At least they were more honest about their replicas then!!!
That's Barry's race, and replicas have always been a part of it.....
Old 22 Sep 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3769237)   #168
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Fast fro an Anglia of course. But Saloon Cars are kind of Modsports and the track was probably slightly different.
Gerard, I think if you took a look at my Anglia you would be surprised at how "unmodified" it is. It still has a leaf spring rear end and front suspension similar to how it came out of the factory complete with steering box also still powered by a Kent pushrod engine. All of my races were done on Yokohama road legal tyres.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Sep 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3769242)   #169
zefarelly
Veteran

England
good old Sussex by the sea
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
U2TC 2007. it was about £500 a race then as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG.jpg  
Old 22 Sep 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3769249)   #170
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it's time for a new forum JT. Instead of historic racing today it could be called historic racing ten or twenty years ago. Everything was so much better then
Old 22 Sep 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3769250)   #171
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed that it wasn't the Cortinafest that it has now become and there were far more Alfas entered. How did the race go, Joe?
Old 22 Sep 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3769258)   #172
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't remember much Peter . . . aside brakes fading toward the end as I still had steel wheels on from Goodwood a few weeks prior, no air gets through them.

It must have been cheaper & easier then as I've not done GW/Spa both in the same year since!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001.jpg  
Old 22 Sep 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3769280)   #173
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Maybe it's time for a new forum JT. Instead of historic racing today it could be called historic racing ten or twenty years ago. Everything was so much better then
It was, at least you could do it on a shoestring in comparison with today.
Racing has always been expensive but with newer regulations regarding towing/fuel costs/ever increasing entry fees/silly historic car prices etc the "normal" working bloke with a mortgage can't afford to have a go.

I counted myself very lucky in that I had most of my racing entries and parts paid for by sponsors that I picked up along the way, there was no way that I could have done any of it "competitively" on my own unless I was really silly and re-mortgaged my house ! like some that I know ! who lost everything thinking that they were the next Max Verstappen
Old 22 Sep 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3769281)   #174
Gerard C
Subscriber
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon I do believe you about your Anglia stage of development. As you can guess, from the list you publish I do know many competitors (mainly French) and their cars. For instance, Christophe's 911 was something like full Grp 5, Claude's 2002 running a M12/7, Olivier's Camaro a light Group 2 and so on… Mainly on slicks. From my understanding, our french Saloon Cars could be compared to your Modsports. Is that right?
Old 22 Sep 2017, 17:21 (Ref:3769288)   #175
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Gordon I do believe you about your Anglia stage of development. As you can guess, from the list you publish I do know many competitors (mainly French) and their cars. For instance, Christophe's 911 was something like full Grp 5, Claude's 2002 running a M12/7, Olivier's Camaro a light Group 2 and so on… Mainly on slicks. From my understanding, our french Saloon Cars could be compared to your Modsports. Is that right?
Probably (and more beside) ! I think that the French race that I entered they took my money after looking at my car and decided that I would be down at the blunt end of the race, some of the cars had tyres wider than my car
Old 22 Sep 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3769322)   #176
Gerard C
Subscriber
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly they did ! Sorry for that.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3769427)   #177
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
10 years ago it was.Attachment 50519
Blimey, my first time at Spa
Old 24 Sep 2017, 18:49 (Ref:3769613)   #178
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the £500 U2TC Spa entry fee, just about my limit at that time. When it went up to £1000+ I decided that my happy times in U2TC were over. A most enjoyable race and series despite the fairly pathetic results I scored. But I was driving the GTA from London to Spa and my GTA's state of tune was nowhere near Dominik Roschman ... and neither was my driving skill ! We just enjoyed ourselves at a great track.
Nick
Old 25 Sep 2017, 08:03 (Ref:3769691)   #179
zefarelly
Veteran

England
Completely agree Nick, I'm in exactly the same boat. It strikes me that more , shall we say, 'Gentleman drivers' in 'period correct' cars stay at home than actually contest now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
I remember the £500 U2TC Spa entry fee, just about my limit at that time. When it went up to £1000+ I decided that my happy times in U2TC were over. A most enjoyable race and series despite the fairly pathetic results I scored. But I was driving the GTA from London to Spa and my GTA's state of tune was nowhere near Dominik Roschman ... and neither was my driving skill ! We just enjoyed ourselves at a great track.
Nick