Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 May 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3733627)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Palmer, Stroll, Vandoorne - what are you guys doing out there?
Stoffel's fastest lap is 3.8 seconds slower than Alonso's. WTF?
Stroll looked hopeless and as the commentators were saying, that car shouldn't be in battle with the Saubers.
Palmer 15th vs Hulk in 6th. That's replacement territory Jolyon.
They're all looking a bit shoddy aren't they? Vandoorne is the surprise - Alonso's good but that difference can't all be driver can it? Different engine modes?

Stroll should in theory have been better around Barcelona as that's a track he knows. Given Strolls pace you can see why Williams were on the phone to Massa when Bottas jumped ship.

Palmer struggled last year but that could have been car - he doesn't have that excuse this season. He looked a bit shell shocked after qualifying and really does appear to be on the ropes - I doubt he'll get a 3rd season in F1
Old 15 May 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3733631)   #17
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If Leclerc keeps this performance up in GP2, someone will make a seat for him in F1 next year. Could be Magnussen (since he's linked to Haas) could be Palmer.

Leclerc is testing for Haas because he is a Ferrari junior driver.

http://fda.ferrari.com/en/main-drivers/charles-leclerc/
Old 15 May 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3733633)   #18
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Palmer and Stroll should have more or less equal machinery as their teammates.

Not so sure about Vandoorne, considering the problematic Honda engines.
Since even Honda themselves seem to have no cue why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, it's hard to tell whatever performance difference is caused by driver, car or engine.

I think we can only judge Stoffel once Honda has its stuff sorted.

Driving into Massa was very stupid, though.
Old 15 May 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3733641)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!
Stroll has disappointed so far. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and he's certainly had some bad luck, but he's not showing well against Massa.
Old 15 May 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3733648)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ocon, when will his run end? He's on a real roll

Wehrlein has really shown he's a potential star of the future, with another good drive to 7th on the road

Magnussen was doing so well till he threw it all away with that contact with Kyvat

To me experience counts in these new cars, which is why Stoffel, Jolyon and Lance are someway off their teammates. But Stoffel doing a Schumacher Jerez on Massa was silly
Old 16 May 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3733935)   #21
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Stoffel's fastest lap is 3.8 seconds slower than Alonso's. WTF?
To be fair, Vandoorne had a faster best lap at the time of his (self-created) retirement than Alonso did. Alonso improved his lap times at the very end with low fuel, fresh soft tires and possibly higher engine modes. Alonso was marginally faster in the race, but the difference in fastest laps is misleading.
Old 29 May 2017, 02:29 (Ref:3737007)   #22
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stoffel was finally on course for redemption wasn't he? A great qualifying, ahead of Button, until he wrecked. But a good race and keeping Hamilton within 5 seconds for most of the race. Then he wrecked. Makes you wonder what Fred might have done in that car, maybe 6th?

That just left son of Jan to be best of the new guys, still ending up with a point even though he had to make a second pit stop. He was behind Grosjean though for most of the race.

Wehrlein average although I thought he would have been strong at Monaco.

Stroll at the back, Williams seemed to struggle.

Palmer a second off Hulk in qualifying continues to disappoint.

Ocon finally brought his string of great performances to an end, although it's hard to know what race pace he might have had when you qualify 16th. But yeah his qualy wasn't impressive.

No standouts for Monaco then. Well I guess Vandoorne if you can forgive his crashes. The one in the race was a bit unlucky.
Old 29 May 2017, 12:04 (Ref:3737111)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vandoorne drove probably his best in Monaco. The Q2 incident was unfortunate, but he still had done enough to get into Q3. He was holding his own and if there hadn't
been that SC, he would't have had that incident with Perez#

Magnussen wouldn't have got that point, if there hadn't been that ridiculous SC free pass rule

Wehrlein and Stroll were unimpressive. Palmer tried to just cruise around and collect points like his father did on street circuits, but there weren't enough cars to retire

Ocon bad weekend, but he's allowed an off weekend
Old 29 May 2017, 15:28 (Ref:3737156)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Stroll has disappointed so far. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and he's certainly had some bad luck, but he's not showing well against Massa.
some bad luck for sure but (just my perception ) he doesn't seem to be showing any tangible signs of improvement nor any real hunger to do so either.

of course perception can be far from reality though.
Old 29 May 2017, 23:15 (Ref:3737256)   #25
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never heard a more sad radio comment than stroll saying "please help me" to his crew. I asked in the race thread, but do y'all think he even wants to be there or does his daddy want him him there?
Old 30 May 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3737340)   #26
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Never heard a more sad radio comment than stroll saying "please help me" to his crew. I asked in the race thread, but do y'all think he even wants to be there or does his daddy want him him there?
I thought it was a bit weak and something he should have known, but then Martin Brundle went into a big explanation of what he needed to do (something about alternating brake and accelerator and weaving like madman) and it did sound complicated. He is only 18. Most 18 year olds can't even tie their shoelaces. You could probably count the number of single seater races he done so maybe whatever the team were asking him to do is not something he's ever had to do before.
Old 30 May 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3737351)   #27
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Big Smoke
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Erm, why are we discounting Verstappen as a rising star? He's in his 4th season of car racing and still a teenager!!

Based on the career trajectory of the new generation so far, Verstappen's looking good for Schumacher-levels of domination through the second half of his twenties because the other guys around his age - or even slightly older - are nowhere near his level.

Of the drivers U25, based on what I've seen so far, only Sainz has the talent to touch him in the same or similar car.
Old 30 May 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3737364)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
He sounded like he was going to cry - I don't think I've ever heard such a pitiful message from a driver over team radio.
Old 30 May 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3737372)   #29
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Loughborough
Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
He sounded like he was going to cry - I don't think I've ever heard such a pitiful message from a driver over team radio.
He was moaning that the brakes were cold.

He subsequently retired with overheating brakes.

Make of that what you will, but it doesn't sound to me like a driver with the ability to cope under pressure and puzzle his way out of a hole. Rosberg he most certainly isn't.
Old 30 May 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3737374)   #30
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That was exactly what I thought when I heard it too Bert. A bit like "Daddy, make them stop the ride I want to get off!"