Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3770257)   #76
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mansell more before he came to F1 and even when he got there, to begin with there were only flashes of form. And Damon looked steady to begin with, but eventually he became a champion
Old 29 Sep 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3770615)   #77
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Irvine, Barachello, Massa.......dare I say Rosberg & Bottas too.......they were all nothing special when they started and all took about 5-10 years to mature
Rubens was an ace on the way up and had the drives been kinder to him was quite capable of being a multiple race winner imho.

I would say the same applies to Rosberg & Bottas. Both were highly rated in junior formula and as usual in F1 you don't get to show what you can really do until you get your backside into a decent car.

Massa was pethaps a surprise because he came into F1 from unfashionable series in Euro 3000. So he was kind of below the radar? But clearly someone somewhere knew he was really good!
Old 29 Sep 2017, 19:31 (Ref:3770620)   #78
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Massa was pethaps a surprise because he came into F1 from unfashionable series in Euro 3000. So he was kind of below the radar? But clearly someone somewhere knew he was really good!
The problem with Massa is that he is very fragile, and is in constant need of warm strokes to get anything out of him. One only needs to hear some of the radio traffic between his engineers and him to understand that. He also requires repeated instructions to get a move on, and I think that the pit wall often got a little fed up with having to push him.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 08:21 (Ref:3770688)   #79
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just want to say that the best thing about the Brazilian Massa is that relationship with the great Rob Smedley
Old 11 Oct 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3773597)   #80
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
So... if Mr Gasly is running in Japan, and Mr Sainz is off to Renault (In Mr Webber's seat... ) just who will drive for STR at CotA??

Did Renault pull the trigger too early?

Story Here

Mr Button to rave? Or Mr Hartley?
Old 11 Oct 2017, 08:50 (Ref:3773610)   #81
S griffin
Veteran

Sounds like someone didn't get everything in place beforehand
Old 11 Oct 2017, 08:50 (Ref:3773612)   #82
steve_r
Veteran

England
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very strange - if true. I did not know that Honda put such importance into Super Formula.

I guess one of the Red Bull rejects could be brought in from Formula E, to sit alongside Kvyatt who is presumably Red Bulls next reject.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 12:33 (Ref:3773659)   #83
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!
Three other sites I read regularly for motorsports all said Honda did not push for him to win and would rather he ran F1 than try for the title. When it was just a test run, they said they would like him to come back. I think STR may not have talked with Honda since, all the reports from Masashi Yamamoto say he has no problems with Gasly running at Austin now that the seat is his.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 21:46 (Ref:3773928)   #84
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Hartley Lined Up For Austin, Maybe 2018
Old 12 Oct 2017, 22:27 (Ref:3773932)   #85
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some really strange behaviour. Let a driver go to a fierce competitor and then realise you don’t have a replacement. Hartley would be somewhat desperation. Better Palmer.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 22:53 (Ref:3773934)   #86
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Some really strange behaviour. Let a driver go to a fierce competitor and then realise you donít have a replacement. Hartley would be somewhat desperation. Better Palmer.
Has me wondering if Potsid helped secure the seal for Mr Hartley..
Old 13 Oct 2017, 07:29 (Ref:3773948)   #87
S griffin
Veteran

Hey, if Lotterer can come in do a good job with Caterham, there's no reason why Hartley can't with Toro Rosso. I for one would welcome him
Old 13 Oct 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3773987)   #88
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why is Hartley considered desperation? He is a very high level driver, with red bull sponsorship, correct? Seems like a good opportunity to evaluate his skill in f1 without a huge commitment.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 14:46 (Ref:3774021)   #89
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me the 'desperate' part is that they "have to" turn to a driver they dropped from their junior program.
I think that's quite funny.

Granted, he is (again) sponsored by Red Bull at the moment, but after he had to leave the Red Bull junior program and was a Mercedes test driver, he was wearing Monster logos (a Mercedes sponsor) so he was totally "out of the family" at that point.

Interesting how a number of dropped Red Bull junior still got decent careers after their exit.
* Brendon Hartley -> Le Mans winner, FIA WEC champion
* Neel Jani -> Le Mans winner, FIA WEC champion
* Sebastian Buemi -> FIA WEC champion
* Mirko Bortolotti -> Blancpain Endurance Cup champion + Blancpain GT overall champion
* Mikhail Aleshin -> Formula Renault 3.5 champion

There may be more...
Old 13 Oct 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3774025)   #90
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Not every Marlboro sponsored driver became a F1 driver.