Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:00 (Ref:3762932)   #91
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Credit to IMSA, they did their best to avoid the FCY. How times have changed.
Great job from B Barfield I agree. I wonder if he intentionally holds back the yellow flag a bit more in these all GT races and treats the situations differently than if the prototypes were in it. I do think in particular he wants to make sure these all GT races go full green the whole way. Which is fine. It makes the all GT races look much better because of it.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 15:30 (Ref:3762962)   #92
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Looked like the Ford thought he was ahead going into that right hand turn. Neither wanted to yield but the Ford's nose was ahead of the Vette from the onboard. I think it's a racing incident.
The 66 got a yellow card from IMSA (blocking) for the incident. Hence the cause of the incident.

L.P.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3763042)   #93
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I got to see the race finally from the youtube replay. Could not follow it on Sunday. Some thoughts:

1) TV quality broadcast just awesome. VIR is a very very TV friendly track.
Wish they had showed more of the straight on shot of the "high point" of the esses instead of behind; we can see the front wheels come of the ground at full tilt. Just the coolest part of the coolest section of one of the coolest purpose built circuits in the world. I found myself yelling "show the other angle!" numerous times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Great job from B Barfield I agree. I wonder if he intentionally holds back the yellow flag a bit more in these all GT races and treats the situations differently than if the prototypes were in it. I do think in particular he wants to make sure these all GT races go full green the whole way. Which is fine. It makes the all GT races look much better because of it.
If we're talking about the Lexus in the tires at Oak Tree, it's rare to see a car there and is one of the (if not) slowest corners on the track. Not much of a danger, especially when the drivers heed the local yellow.

But I agree. Was happy that there was the appearance of sitting on the double yellows for a little while, allowing drivers time to remove themselves from danger.

-Mike Cooley, The Stroker Ace
Old 31 Aug 2017, 03:12 (Ref:3763096)   #94
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcarbsmith should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcarbsmith should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mueller deserves a penalty for intentionally accelerating into the #3 when they were already slowed down in the grass as much as anything. This isn't NASCAR, nobody's making enough money from TV drama to pay for that chicken ****.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3763144)   #95
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought Mueller was just trying to spin the tires to rotate the car a bit to get past the front of the Corvette so he didn't have to wait.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3763168)   #96
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looked more ugly than it was. Damage was done by then and it was really just ever so slight insult to injury at that point.

Mueller knows what he did - I can see how people might see it both ways...

-Mike Cooley, The Stroker Ace
Old 8 Sep 2017, 01:51 (Ref:3765307)   #97
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is anyone else annoyed by all the talk of teams trying to outperform each other on pit stops? With the fueling being what everyone is waiting on at the end, there is no competition amongst teams to be fastest or whatever. It's just who's fuel flow is faster. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is, so all the excitement over pit stop performances are pointless.
Old 8 Sep 2017, 01:58 (Ref:3765308)   #98
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just finished the race today. Had to avoid the forum till then. Was a good race. Corvette keeps getting good results despite not being the fastest, which is fun to see. Sage karam seems kinda dumb. I guess he fits in on a team run by gentilozzi. Risi seems cursed, but still a good finish.

Beautiful track. Never been, wish I had when I lived in Virginia beach. Always prioritized petit obviously, and also it was mostly a grand am race when I lived there. Maybe some day. Why couldn't they put up some fencing with a small area in the middle for fans to walk back to oak tree and view from inside the track? There's a lot of open space there that could be made a viewing area. Same for any small area on the outside of the front straight or something to provide a view of that section. Otherwise it's a gorgeous track. It, mosport and road atlanta all have similar shapes, and all three are beautiful.
Old 8 Sep 2017, 04:17 (Ref:3765319)   #99
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Just finished the race today. Had to avoid the forum till then. Was a good race. Corvette keeps getting good results despite not being the fastest, which is fun to see. Sage karam seems kinda dumb. I guess he fits in on a team run by gentilozzi. Risi seems cursed, but still a good finish.

Beautiful track. Never been, wish I had when I lived in Virginia beach. Always prioritized petit obviously, and also it was mostly a grand am race when I lived there. Maybe some day. Why couldn't they put up some fencing with a small area in the middle for fans to walk back to oak tree and view from inside the track? There's a lot of open space there that could be made a viewing area. Same for any small area on the outside of the front straight or something to provide a view of that section. Otherwise it's a gorgeous track. It, mosport and road atlanta all have similar shapes, and all three are beautiful.
There's more racetrack on the inside.
Old 8 Sep 2017, 13:18 (Ref:3765431)   #100
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
There's more racetrack on the inside.
Yeah, but some movable wall sections could be sst up over them. Like at road Atlanta where there's a track turn that cuts between turn 5 and the back straight that is walled off to allow spectator movement.
Old 8 Sep 2017, 16:35 (Ref:3765465)   #101
WolfsburgRS
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The issue with adding a viewing area inside the track up by oak tree would be spectator safety. The track pinches down pretty hard there and with the elevation changes between turn 10, oak tree and the huge dip in the middle any spectators would be basically eye level with the track. Unless the area was fully fenced with catch fencing it would be extremely dangerous and then it would add stuff to hit when a car goes off. Turn 10 is very fast and full commitment even in a street car on street tires. Lots of potential for problems, plus it would ruin the look and feel of the track IMO.

Something down on the outside of turn 1 / inside turn 2 would work well i think.
Old 8 Sep 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3765468)   #102
RWill2073
Veteran

Gotcha. Thanks. I agree it would change the feel a little, but I was watching just wondering just how much fans had access to. I'm spoiled, with road Atlanta being my home track and Sebring my other off-attended event.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 11:51 (Ref:3765648)   #103
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The patriot course inside the full course is used throughout the weekend for spectator hot laps.