Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 Sep 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3769450)   #16
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GTD field led by Madison Snow with a 1:24.469

L.P.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3769451)   #17
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!
Vilander in his Ferrari the only one in the 21's. Nice laps.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 20:14 (Ref:3769452)   #18
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tremendous from Risi/Vilander. That 488 GTE is hooked up in every championship that they race. Surprised that there are not more of those cars on the grid. BMW and Ford right there. Surprised the 911s were so far behind.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 20:21 (Ref:3769454)   #19
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!
Using this for live timing https://timing.71wytham.org.uk/s/imsa_alkamel, much better than imsa's site
Old 23 Sep 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3769455)   #20
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These DPIs and 2017 spec P2 cars are fast, into the 1:16s on the spec continentals here, but lets not forget the '07, '08 Acura P2 on developed Michelins put there car on pole in the 1:10s... These cars could be much much quicker yet in the future with the help of Michelin and more HP.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3769457)   #21
TF110
Veteran

United States
Yeah, 16's is not hanging around, but still a ways off the best of what these cars are really capable of. But at least they're much improved from what we saw last year!
Old 23 Sep 2017, 20:43 (Ref:3769460)   #22
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

L.P.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3769469)   #23
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bringing up the lap comparisons is depressing me. 6 seconds off the fastest prototype lap is SLOW. Developed tires can only speed you up so much
Old 23 Sep 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3769476)   #24
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
As I've said, the Continental tires and maybe BOP have been holding the DPIs to basically 2000-2003 LMP900/2004-05 LMP1 times.

You'd think that up to 15 years of chassis and aero development would count for something here. But not when the tires are intentionally made to have a limited performance envelope. Not to mention that the cars are nearly 30-50kg heavier than say an Audi R8 was (I'd say also a Panoz LMP1 roadster, but those cars were nearly the weight of an average LMP2/non-Cadillac DPI after their chassis were stiffened in 2000).

Of course, you put modern tires that can fit on 13.5x18 front and 14.5x18 rear rims, LMP900s and LMP1s from the era I mentioned could be setting record lap times, by the same token.

I'd like to see DPIs running ACO LMP2 lap times at least (basically what 2006-07 and 2011 LMP1 times were for various cars), but that's up to IMSA and later on, Michelin.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 23:45 (Ref:3769479)   #25
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Apples and Oranges! This is an apple stand, if you want oranges go to the orange stand. Why does this **** have to end up in every thread?!

L.P.
Old 24 Sep 2017, 00:39 (Ref:3769491)   #26
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It ends up in the race broadcasts too. The qualy lap today was compared to the lap last year and declared superior. If you're going to compare it to a radically different car from last year, why not compare it to a more similar car from 10 years ago?

-Hello I'd like to buy some apples
-I don't sell apples any more. I sell oranges
-But you used to, right?
-Yes
-Man those apples were good
-Yeah I remember them. Many people liked them
-But you don't sell them anymore
-No I sell oranges. Still fruit, just not apples. People like them as well.
-But the apples were easier to eat. No peeling of skin or anything
-You're right they were in fact easier to eat. They were great.
-But now you sell oranges
-Yeah and don't you dare talk about apples anymore.
Old 24 Sep 2017, 01:53 (Ref:3769495)   #27
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
The qualy lap today was compared to the lap last year and declared superior. If you're going to compare it to a radically different car from last year.
Not so radically different than last year. Last years winner was a Ligier JS P2 with HPD power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
-I don't sell apples any more. I sell oranges
-But you used to, right?
-Yes
-Yeah I remember them. Many people liked them
-But you don't sell them anymore
-No I sell oranges. Still fruit, just not apples. People like them as well.
-But the apples were easier to eat. No peeling of skin or anything
-You're right they were in fact easier to eat. They were great.
-But now you sell oranges
-Yeah and don't you dare talk about apples anymore.

-I don't sell apples.
-But you used to, right?
-No, the old owner did several years ago
-Wouldn't know, do you want some Oranges?

L.P.
Old 24 Sep 2017, 02:14 (Ref:3769502)   #28
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Point is that DPIs should be somewhat faster than the old IMSA spec LMP2s. Consider that ACO spec LMP2s on ACO spec rubber are running times at Le Mans similar to 2011 LMP1s and that in testing this year the fastest times at Sebring during a Dunlop tire test would've put those cars into the top 5 overall for Sebring in 2012.

Mind you, by the same token, if you put modern tires on say a LMP900 or first generation LMP1, they could be nearly as fast as modern LMP1s.

I know that the point of DPI isn't to break records set by LMP1 or LMP2 cars of a few years ago, but they can easily be faster than they are now if not for some micromanaged BOP and especially spec tires.

It goes back to the debates on cars being artificially slowed down from what they're capable of. Understandable from a safety aspect as we don't want classic circuits being butchered more than they've already been and we're tired of seeing what FIA Grade 1 tracks turn into.

But still, a little more speed (especially separation between classes) is a good thing.

Though if I'm honest, I think that ACO spec LMP1s and LMP2s are a bit too fast for their own good. I also feel the same way with GTE/GTLM cars running GT1 times that were set a decade ago, too. I don't think that taking a handful of seconds a lap out of those cars, especially around Le Mans, would necessarily be a bad thing.
Old 24 Sep 2017, 03:39 (Ref:3769515)   #29
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFrider View Post
Bringing up the lap comparisons is depressing me. 6 seconds off the fastest prototype lap is SLOW. Developed tires can only speed you up so much
sorry I didn't know I would derail the thread in this way. I have just always loved that '07, '08 Acura P2. T1 Sebring flatout, the only car that could do it that year. Couldn't help talking about it .

I like the DPI's as well. Sure DPI could be sped up, but I don't actually care how fast the DPIs go. They are beautiful standing still. Just my opinion though.
Old 24 Sep 2017, 05:57 (Ref:3769532)   #30
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!
Except it's not just DPI, it's DPI/LMP2; so, "apples" are still on the signage.

It's not unreasonable to think there will be empirical improvement in pace over 10-12-15-18 years. Furthermore, they're the same type of car running to the same basic specs (at least the straight LMP2s are), so it's reasonable to see them running similar pace to the same machinery elsewhere.

The difference, of two seconds or more, comes off as strange. Also, with the IMSA LMP2s being slower, it makes the teams here look bad by comparison.