Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Oct 2017, 01:28 (Ref:3773938)   #46
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I can see their point of view of others profiteering from their signatures but usually I get signatures for something that raises money for a charity or a friend in need. (Such charities like Bid4Jase/Jason Richards, Bushfire appeals, etc) I explained to Allan that the XC lid was for a friend and his project car that's a family heirloom. The only signatures I've kept was on a cap that Jason had signed as a thank you for a shirt I ultimately gave his wife and kids (and he tearfully hugged me after signing the cap) a few model cars of Jase and Peter Brock (which I swore I would never sell) plus a custom painted guitar signed by actor Karl Urban. In other words, I've never profited from these with the exception of making new friends from the people who autographed the stuff.
And Moffat chose not to sign it after that explanation?

Its a little disappointing to hear a couple here have had negative encounters with him due to the signature thing.
But its also disappointing people just try and make some quick cash out of it and ruin it for genuine fans.
I'd never pay for a signature, but I'd never use it to make money either.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 03:37 (Ref:3773941)   #47
Axeman444
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is, he knows it happens, but he can't really tell who will do it. So he can either stop doing it totally (everyone really gets the irates), do it all the time (and watch some of those go on selling sites for the recipient to make a profit), or pick and chose (and sometimes get the call wrong)
Old 13 Oct 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3773980)   #48
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Moffat should have done a few hundred autographed copies and sold them online to willing fans.

Happy to buy a specially autographed one at a reasonable price.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3773993)   #49
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When it comes to signatures, I don't get them very often, and keep it to my own photography. When a pic is worthy of being enlarged to poster size, then I chase the relevant signatures and they do not get sold. Never yet had to pay for a signature. Had a good run at the 2014 12 Hour getting all the signatures I wanted on earlier pics, plus a decade earlier got all 4 drivers + Garry Rogers on a pic of the first B24 winning Monaro. Don't have Mr Moffat's autograph, but that's because he stopped racing before I started taking decent pics. Brocky lives on in a pic from the '95 AGP event.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aj95AhorJw08jGCTamdJexbQ6x4q
Old 13 Oct 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3773995)   #50
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
And Moffat chose not to sign it after that explanation?

Its a little disappointing to hear a couple here have had negative encounters with him due to the signature thing.
But its also disappointing people just try and make some quick cash out of it and ruin it for genuine fans.
I'd never pay for a signature, but I'd never use it to make money either.
Had to butter him up (speak to his ego) to sign the lid. I don't mind paying a small fee for an autograph, (Comic-Conventions do this all the time, I paid $100 to get two autographs from the actor Karl Urban one year) it was just Moffat's attitude and lack of empathy, manners and positive personality that got me.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3773998)   #51
Forda
Racer

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it presumable recent Moff inclusions into historical recitals (eg.Chevron productions) have come at a cost?
Old 14 Oct 2017, 05:11 (Ref:3774114)   #52
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were at the Muscle Car Masters a few years ago and Dick Johnson and Colin Bond were at a table singing autographs.

We were just behind them behind a low fence and could see all

We were absolutely amazed and astounded at what Dick in particular had to sign.

Guys fronted up with big bags and produced 20 to 30 examples of the same models. These were obviously NOT fans but profiteers. I think Dick would have been within his rights to only sign one for each guy. These signings should be for FANS only.

In part I blame Biante and Classic Carlectables for allowing people to buy so many of one model. Surely they must realise what is going on.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3774137)   #53
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love being in the autograph queue, and the bloke in front of you has a large stripey bag in each hand full of models, t-shirts and books wanting them signed by Craig Lowndes etc!
Old 14 Oct 2017, 21:31 (Ref:3774215)   #54
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Love being in the autograph queue, and the bloke in front of you has a large stripey bag in each hand full of models, t-shirts and books wanting them signed by Craig Lowndes etc!
Yes those big stripey bags are the give away........ normal fans don’t go to race meetings with those things
Old 16 Oct 2017, 05:45 (Ref:3774428)   #55
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Had to butter him up (speak to his ego) to sign the lid. I don't mind paying a small fee for an autograph, (Comic-Conventions do this all the time, I paid $100 to get two autographs from the actor Karl Urban one year) it was just Moffat's attitude and lack of empathy, manners and positive personality that got me.
Thanks for explaining what happened.
I have never met Allan but would love the chance one day to say Hello and maybe get that signature. What wouldn't be nice is to meet the man and be treated badly; he was the driver my father, and, then by default, myself, followed. Often my son is with me when we line up to meet a driver and the experiences have been mostly positive. In particular Lee Holdsworth I found to be very friendly and up for a chat about the event and where he was at with the car. Courtney has always been great and has a lifelong fan in my son for the way he gives him his time. Another perhaps surprise was how well Alex Rullo conversed with young and old fans....another driver that my son has since taken to following, all due to his friendly nature at the Darwin morning track meet earlier this year
Old 17 Oct 2017, 02:42 (Ref:3774584)   #56
Axeman444
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
In part I blame Biante and Classic Carlectables for allowing people to buy so many of one model. Surely they must realise what is going on.
I saw AM at a signing session at a Hobby Shop once, with people arriving with Model Cars & Certificates to be signed. He was actually checking the manufacturer of the cars (Biante/AutoArt vs Classic) and refused to sign any Classic models, due to his commercial arrangement with Biante.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 03:52 (Ref:3774589)   #57
HDTVKSS
Racer

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the double pay for meet and greet / signage is a double edged sword. its not unique to motorsports / sports as musicians also charge for meet and greets before / after concerts etc. would i pay it? perhaps in some rare cases.

These guys pretty much owe their careers to the public that supported them. Without the public there would have been no career and no one would be queuing for autographs now. The position they are in is a privilege.

Now, that does not mean that the public has free reign to exploit them for personal gain but it has to be within reason. These guys know who the habitual offenders are - they are the ones who should be targeted.

Even if someone does go and sell it on Ebay - is that such a bad thing? the option was certainly open for the driver to do the same but they have not. This is not the sellers worry. Again the fact that this is something that the public is willing to pay for is a credit to the drivers and the career that has been built over decades of public support. The fact that it is perceived to hold value in the first place is driven by the public support that has been given freely to that driver.

Personally, if Moff, Skaife, Lowndes, Whincup, Johnson, whoever asked for cash for an autograph id tell them to politely go and multiply. Note, i think that asking for an autograph in person is quite different to procuring one commercially. There is the meet the hero aspect - something that solidifies the mystique and support for that driver in the autograph seeker - which is something that can transcend generations when the old man talks about the time he met so and so. This is not something that an ebay transaction can get you.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 04:34 (Ref:3774596)   #58
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
I saw AM at a signing session at a Hobby Shop once, with people arriving with Model Cars & Certificates to be signed. He was actually checking the manufacturer of the cars (Biante/AutoArt vs Classic) and refused to sign any Classic models, due to his commercial arrangement with Biante.
So how'd that go down with the owners of the Classic models?
Old 17 Oct 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3774743)   #59
Axeman444
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So how'd that go down with the owners of the Classic models?
They were obviously miffed, but it was advertised by Biante. I knew that was his policy already, given Classic were making his cars without any approval from him
Old 17 Oct 2017, 22:49 (Ref:3774751)   #60
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished the AJ book which was a great read - especially the nick names he gave people Jack the Foot etc....

Have started Moffat and just finished the chapter on the Mustang - certainly no love lost with Jane & Geoghegan