Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 22 Nov 2016, 15:23 (Ref:3690234)   #2051
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you all, it has been a very good year and a very nice way to finish off the '8 year' adventure (so far).

Just sent off for my 2017 race licence, so 2017 is on it's way!
Today I collected my Xmas mod to the car, the super-light flywheel replacing the standard Porsche road going flywheel.
I already have the lightweight clutch cover made for early 911's so this combo will be as light as it gets.
The clutch had endured 8 years of hard work, so I might change the drive plate for a fresh one while it is all apart.
A bonus is it has been made in the West Midlands.

Fresh CV grease and a drive-line check up can be readily done too so I hope the reliability I've enjoyed will continue!

Thoughts drift in and out over fuel injection to replace the carbs, but hard to justify.
Fresh tyres are in the same vein, but £1300 a set is a bit eye watering.

Old 26 Nov 2016, 17:14 (Ref:3691179)   #2052
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Managed to pinch a few hours on the Lola this afternoon, so good time to get the box off and check the clutch condition.
These aluminium Sach units are pricey nowadays, so my spanners were crossed...

A few things have to be freed-off, the top cross mounting, the hydraulic clutch, the pesky UJ bolts, a fiddle even when this car is so open, murder on a 911!
Found one of the 1972 UJ bellows had split, lasted just 44 years. I have a universal cover to replace it, the other side failed this time last year!

After the usual wriggle the box slid of using my trusty transmission jack, a god send and saves erecting the engine hoist to pluck it off the engine.
The clutch off next and all is perfect, 6 years of hard hill climbing and it looks new. Man-maths says I've just saved £500, The Boss? She was not so convinced in my logic.

Flywheel is stock 1986 and in full working order, so will save that under the bench for a rainy day.
Took it off and found the crank seal to be arid-dry (self built engine ) and when everything is cleaned the new wheel will go on.
Chris @ Fenn Lane argues the flywheel cap head special screws can be re-used, so will clean and re-fit with the lightest of Loctite as I did before.

Things are going well, so something is bound to change that. :blackeye:

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 26 Nov 2016 at 17:44.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 21:25 (Ref:3691243)   #2053
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's great Graham, and really good pictures.

I have a more or less identical clutch and flywheel assembly, and just wonder if the lightweight assembly would really be OK without rebalancing the whole rotating assembly, as I would not mind doing this adaptation to my car.
Obviously the fly wheel has been balanced as an individual unit, but was that with the cover as well please ?
Old 26 Nov 2016, 22:58 (Ref:3691261)   #2054
911thillclimber
Veteran

This is always a worry, balance of these things.
The Porsche crank is not balanced with it's original flywheel. I've changed f/wheels before on 911 engines and all has been well.
The clutch cover is balanced as an item, and I've fitted literally 14 clutches to my 911 road/hill climb car over the 26 years I've owned it, cast iron covers and aluminium with no probs.

This flywheel was CAD designed and CNC machined to a very high order of balance by a very achedemic engineer who has a Porsche independent company, Chris at Fenn Lane Motorsport here in the West Midlands.

The design follows the factory RSR racing spec of the late 70's.
Proof of the pudding will be the first start-up in a weeks time....
Old 29 Nov 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3692166)   #2055
911thillclimber
Veteran

Spent another few hours doing the fitting and finishing of this little job on the Lola.

The new flywheel weighed-in at 6.25Kg (rough kitchen scales) and certainly lighter than the stock flywheel but above the capacity of the scales so no real comparison.

Popped on the crank with a nice precise fit, all bolted up and the clutch back on.
Gearbox dropped back on as usual and I reconnected the hydraulics and all works, so everything back to normal.

While on a roll, replaced the split CV joint boot and even that went really well too!
Can't last.

Old 20 Dec 2016, 15:52 (Ref:3697367)   #2056
911thillclimber
Veteran

Father Xmas and his helpers obviously came to the Lola's garage recently, and I did a quick sketch is record the event!

May I wish you all a very happy Xmas, and above all a Very Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

May all your over-steering moments be recoverable!

Old 20 Dec 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3697418)   #2057
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brilliant drawing, and the very best to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year.
Old 21 Dec 2016, 12:53 (Ref:3697611)   #2058
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3715777)   #2059
911thillclimber
Veteran

What a long time it has been since my Xmas card!
The hill climb season has just woken-up and that includes me too.
The Lola was asleep under a cover for the last few months as a kitchen, a motorbike restoration and several family issues took my attention off the car.
I had no plans really to change the car other than the lighter flywheel as it runs well and drives well and I feel comfortable in it now.
In 2016 there was the huge Roll bar scare where the dimensions of the cage HAVE to comply to the 2017 Blue book or have an approved Certificate if the dimensions a different (ie smaller tube diameters).
Mine is all sorted, but another rule that has been in the Book for decades is to be enforced 'aggressively' and that is if the driver's crash helmet is not within the imaginary line from the top of the roll cage hoop/bar to a 'substantial' part of the car in front of the driver. This is usually the hoop just in front of the steering wheel.

Away from all that I have entered the Midland Championship and the first 5 meetings so I'm £750 poorer this morning!

I have received an email from Lola Heritage about the history of the Lola.
A previous early owner from around 1980 has found my car, read about it's history and has some additional facts to give me.
I remember Peter being in the 2nd or 3rd owner position while Clive Brown was digging so hard, but I could not really fix him into the history story.
Hope he can help.

On the subject of Clive, does anyone on here know if he is better after his fall?

Old 25 Mar 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3721462)   #2060
911thillclimber
Veteran

FINALLY go to run the car today for the Practice Day at my favorite hill climb venue, Loton Park.

however, a week ago I thought I would give the car a general clean, oil the rose joints and re-fit the body and wax it.
Got the car down to the ground and blew the tyres up as per routine and notice before fitting the body the NS Front wheel had an alarming amount of negative camber compared to the OS Front. The tracking looked out-of-kilter too...
Put shims under the one side of the car, front and back wheels until the car was level (the garage floor is 'builder's finish') and set my Dunlop camber gauge on the OF Front wheel and got 0.5 deg negative, just as McClurg Motorsport had set it (on both wheels) several years ago.
The NS Front was 3 deg negative. Not good.
The car must have been like this for 18 months and it is my fault.
When I replaced the twisted front top wishbone I carefully set the camber and toe-in.
Clearly, I don't do it as well as Sean at McClurg.

Out with the spanners and got the camber the same as the other side and set the toe in at 2mm inclusive (difference between the front and rear lip of the wheel across the wheel diameter.)
It certainly looked right, straight and true.

So today, on a glorious dry clean track I took the car up 5 times.
The lightweight flywheel is magic, the gears changing crisply and the car drove a dream, almost like a saloon car!

Got down to 57.03 sec, my pb is 56.89 so an excellent result.
I'm chuffed with the car and the sorting of the front end, bet Sean is smiling at this now!

Prescott in late April and the start of the championship for 2017.
I want that award again!
Old 26 Mar 2017, 07:02 (Ref:3721553)   #2061
911thillclimber
Veteran

Prescott!
Attached Thumbnails
lola bluebells.jpg  
Old 22 Apr 2017, 16:35 (Ref:3728436)   #2062
911thillclimber
Veteran

Here at Prescott hill climb and it looks just like the picture above, but many more blue bells.
This is the first meeting of the Championship, and things around me are changing!

Today, there are 3 of us in the class, Allan with the evil Mini, Nigel with the tweeked NG V8 now on demon fuel injection, fresh slicks and looking and performing strongly, and me in mine, little changed from 2016.

There should be a forth, Geoff in his Saker but gremlins stopped him today.

I am in grave danger of coming last in this little lot, so need to focus.

The car ran great, and even with a dose of Operator Error (selected 4th instead of 2nd) I had a good 2nd practice run of 48.43, but only 1.3 secs faster than the V8.
The Mini was it's usual miles-ahead @ 45.98 and it was playing up...

Time to get going tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
P1050838.JPG  
Old 23 Apr 2017, 10:25 (Ref:3728622)   #2063
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That photo brings back memories.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 18:05 (Ref:3728741)   #2064
911thillclimber
Veteran

Prescot on a nice weekend is a great place to be for a hill climb!

Woke this morning determined to get at least 2nd in class.
PB in the summer of last year was 46.34 with a 2.16 start, so that was the target, not a weedy 48!

Practice went well, 47.17/2.35 and the car went well.
Race runs were 47.63 () / 2.21 and then 46.43 and 2.24.

And a Class Win!

The Mini broke and the NG TD ran a good 49.66 Nigel's weekend best.

Under the famous Bridge, not long after the start the Lola scooted under at 75 mph and fell just sublime, smooth, tight and very neutral, chassis fully balanced and flat, McClurg set-up still serving me well!

Chuffed to bits, we are back in the saddle proper and now Shelsley Walsh in 2 weeks time.

That place scares me and I rather think I might not have it all my own way, but we will see.
For now there is a nice warm glow.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 10:20 (Ref:3728857)   #2065
brookesy
Rookie

England
Lincolnshire
brookesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Graham, good to see the niggles are behind you now.

And what a lovely day.
Old 6 May 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3731718)   #2066
911thillclimber
Veteran

Shelsley Walsh this weekend, lovely to be part of and scary too..
Practice today which was a very dull and a few very light sprinkles of light rain, but a long day.
The track has been upgraded (H&S wise) and I was a bit nervey as to the changes to the barriers on the final straight, the fastest part of the track.

First cold morning practice saw a nice 'sighting run' of 33.71 sec/ 2.26 start using a 'minimum gear shifting strategy'.
My pb last August was 32.06/ 2.16 start.
I want a 31.something!
We are an amalgamated class of sub and over 2 litre sports Libre, just 4 of us.
My ever close rival Nigel in the NG V8 was at 35.38.

We waited an age, some 6 hours, to take our 2nd practice run which gave me a 32.93/2.29 and the NG a 34.76

The Lola was running really well, nice and crisp.
I abandonded my previous gear change game to more normal stuff for that 2nd run, and have another plan for 3rd practice tomorrow.
If that fails then it is back to the routine way and with a deep breath, a 31!

We shall see.
Red wine has warmed me up finally, bloody cold there to say the least.
Tomorrow could be better.

off Google:

Old 7 May 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3732008)   #2067
911thillclimber
Veteran

What a change in the weather, bright and sunny all day, almost too hot!
The hill looked just great as it always does in the sun, and the first run today was practice.
Gave the car a hard run up the step hill and everything worked and seemed quick even, but a pheasant no less tripped the timing beam and I had no time recorded....
So, first competitive run and blasted the hill, but so did everyone else in the class!
I took top spot, but the devilish little Crossle with a cooking 2 litre was just 0.1 sec behind in 2nd spot. (amalgamated class remember).
David was chuffed!
I was worried, to be beaten by a 4 pot engine? No chance!!
1st run:
33.05/2.17 start, miles off my pb @ 32.06. Must try much harder.

2nd race run I was far more determined and came 1st in class by a good margin. Car was great and so stable at 100mph, untrue.

32.53/ 2.17 start

David clocked 33.24/2.2 on the same run, and my over 2 litre class mate in his NG V8
34.01/2.41 on the same run.

I was worried this race would not go my way, but got there in the end.

Loton Park in 2 weeks time, love the hill and I go well.
Just hope I have an entry.

Great weekend and everything on track as planned.
Old 20 May 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3734696)   #2068
911thillclimber
Veteran

It is Saturday, and practice at my favourite hill Loton Park, set in a large deer park in Shropshire, and just a few 100 yards from Wales.
Lush and green and wet.

The Lola and I do not mix well in the wet, so with racing runs tomorrow, just trickled up the damp rather than wet hill.
It is surprisingly serene cruising up a hill climb with a relaxed, both eyes open frame of mind until you see the time.
A silly 63.74sec.
Second run was wetter and an equally silly 63.49....

However, the skies and the track cleared, came dry and sunny with a cool breeze, perfect, and time to set a bench marker for the class for tomorrow!

There are just 4 of us in an amalgamated class, 2 x under 2 litres and 2 x over 2 litres.
Being beaten by a 4 cylinder is no good, so gave the car a hard run.

Went like the wind, no drama, all gear changes worked (I'm getting the hang of this gearbox now) and pedal to the metal.

Came back with a 56.94 run and a 2.17 sec start leaving everyone else way behind.

My pb is 56.79 / 2.17 start, so a nice run.
Hope I haven't peaked -in-practice.

Forecast is dry tomorrow and some sun.
Must stay in front!
Old 20 May 2017, 22:28 (Ref:3734765)   #2069
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
should be dry & sunny tomorrow, go for it!
Good luck...
Old 21 May 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3735082)   #2070
911thillclimber
Veteran

I tried Andy!
Sunday was cloudy at first and then the sun came out with a vengeance, not my favorite condition (excuse #1).
First race run was quite late due to the church service across the way so went up on a cool track (excuse #2).
Good run mind, just some irritating figures.
Netted 57.06 v 56.94 best practice, small difference irritating they started with '57'! Start was sharp at 2.17 sec for the first 64 feet.
Car ran great, nice and steady, no dramas.

Leading the class at that stage.

Second race run was in the sun with driver hotter than the car.
Gave it a hard run only to go slower! Bloody hillclimbing!!
57.21/ 2.13 start.

Anyhow, still won the class so good for the points, just no pb.
That is 3 wins in a row, so good so far and pulling out a nice lead in the Championship class.

Car ran well but there is a small oil leak from the one cam cover / head interface, so it may/will be heads off this winter, maybe time for some engine tuning with cams and high compression pistons.

Back to Shelsley Walsh in 2 weeks then back to Loton before the holiday.
Season is wizzing past sadly.
Old 21 May 2017, 20:10 (Ref:3735105)   #2071
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Won the class (result!) - and you're grumbling .
No pleasing some peeople....
Old 22 May 2017, 12:16 (Ref:3735243)   #2072
911thillclimber
Veteran

Winning is good.
PB's are the sweet cherry on the top!
Really thought I could get deeper, but no on Sunday.
I'm back there 10/11 June so another chance!
Old 31 May 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3737596)   #2073
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumours on the CSCC Special Saloons and Modsports FB site suggest that David Enderby may be close to starting a re-commission of his Tiga Sports 2000 based Karmann Ghia, ie the sister (cousin?) car to 911thillclimber's car.
Old 31 May 2017, 21:42 (Ref:3737839)   #2074
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Rumours on the CSCC Special Saloons and Modsports FB site suggest that David Enderby may be close to starting a re-commission of his Tiga Sports 2000 based Karmann Ghia, ie the sister (cousin?) car to 911thillclimber's car.
Hooray!! Been waiting for this. With any luck that will spur the Marshall's to bring the Kitten out again.
Old 31 May 2017, 22:20 (Ref:3737846)   #2075
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hooray!! Been waiting for this. With any luck that will spur the Marshall's to bring the Kitten out again.
Hope so, too. They have put the Bowlby OSS Clubmans based car up for sale, so you never know.