Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 23 Apr 2017, 05:45 (Ref:3728541)   #1326
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Some people use bunk beds still?
Granny was looking after little Johnny for the day, when he came running in and asked;

"Nanny. What is it called when two people sleep one on top of the other?"

Nan rather taken aback decides only the truth will do and he has to learn sometime so she says;

"Sexual intercourse, Johnny."

Off he goes, but five minutes later he is back;

"It's not called sexual intercourse, Nanny it's bunk beds, and Mary's mother wants a word with you!"
Old 23 Apr 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3728552)   #1327
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Have you ever been to Christophe Pund's 1st May party?
John, I have made up my mind to learn many things of France from you. What is this party about?
Old 23 Apr 2017, 06:34 (Ref:3728555)   #1328
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Anyone close to the East Coast Main Line or York this morning?

This is today- http://www.nrm.org.uk/aboutus/presso...-trains-update

4 trains running parallel on 4 lines, Flying Scotsman though to the next generation electric thingy.........

Think the only loco older than we get to use here is the Flying Scotsman!

One hidden fact in the release is that the FS will be towed to the start point by my favourite non steam loco- a Deltic diesel.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 07:36 (Ref:3728569)   #1329
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Anyone close to the East Coast Main Line or York this morning?

This is today- http://www.nrm.org.uk/aboutus/presso...-trains-update

4 trains running parallel on 4 lines, Flying Scotsman though to the next generation electric thingy.........

Think the only loco older than we get to use here is the Flying Scotsman!

One hidden fact in the release is that the FS will be towed to the start point by my favourite non steam loco- a Deltic diesel.
Wow, that would be a sight to behold!
As for the Deltic, what a unique engine that was with its own unique sound. There are some great videos on you tube explaining how it all worked...
Old 23 Apr 2017, 07:45 (Ref:3728572)   #1330
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Wow, that would be a sight to behold!
As for the Deltic, what a unique engine that was with its own unique sound. There are some great videos on you tube explaining how it all worked...
Saw them on TV this morning - four trains running on time, to time, all at the same time, that's got to be a first! Presumably back to normal in the morning...
Old 23 Apr 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3728611)   #1331
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a loooooong time ago, but I drove a Deltic from Haymarket to Waverley when I was about 12, or at least the driver let me rest my hands on the controls for a minute or so before I had to duck down in case the signalman saw me. Amongst other big ticks in my Ian Allan numbers book were an English Electric type 4 from Ferryhill (the Scottish one) to Aberdeen Joint and the Newhaven night boat train EMU all the way from Victoria, my uncle was the driver. On arrival in Newhaven Harbour he switched the power off and plunged the whole train into darkness while the passengers tried to get their bags together "I don't get paid to hang around"!!! But the Deltic was the best, no doubt about that. "Nimbus"

Things were so much more relaxed back then, me and a couple of mates pretty much had free reign at the local engine shed, all we had to do was let the office know we were there, and the drivers were usually quite happy to let you ride with them in the confines of the depot I'll bet it doesn't happen now.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3728635)   #1332
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Things were so much more relaxed back then, me and a couple of mates pretty much had free reign at the local engine shed, all we had to do was let the office know we were there, and the drivers were usually quite happy to let you ride with them in the confines of the depot I'll bet it doesn't happen now.
All I can say is 'lucky you', Colin!

And sure as heck it wouldn't happen now- for a multitude of reasons! Makes me appreciate how lucky those of us of a certain age were to grow up in simpler and as you say, more relaxed, times......
Old 23 Apr 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3728637)   #1333
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Colin, as you say, things have changed dramatically over the years.

Many moons ago I used to almost commute to the Far East for a few years, and pretty well always flew with one European airline. Over a short time, I got to know most of the flight and cabin crew on these long distance flights, and as a result, I was often invited onto the flight deck during the journeys, including during landing and take-off.

Imagine being able to do that nowadays!
Old 23 Apr 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3728641)   #1334
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A European carrier- obviously had different policies to those American Airlines seems to adopt nowadays!

Returning to the 'Deltic' loco, looks as if it is coupled to the back of the Flying Scotsman train in the BBC vid here- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-39684287

Maybe the pace was too slow for the FS!
Old 23 Apr 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3728644)   #1335
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Changing the subject. Got a rare Sunday off so am sat here admiring the efforts if others in the London Marathon. Maybe my bottle of beer and packet of crisps aren't helping my determination to compete at some time. Ah well, comfy here on the sofa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Apr 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3728645)   #1336
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Changing the subject. Got a rare Sunday off so am sat here admiring the efforts if others in the London Marathon. Maybe my bottle of beer and packet of crisps aren't helping my determination to compete at some time. Ah well, comfy here on the sofa
And you a runner! I did wonder if any tenthers were taking part, or if not, relatives of........
Old 23 Apr 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3728646)   #1337
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Well, to be fair, the commentators were regularly urging you to "take on fluids."

I don't think they specified what those fluids should be.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3728652)   #1338
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
When I used to go back to my home town of Bolton for holidays in the 60s we used to go down to the engine sheds, we'd often spend all day there and you'd only get kicked out if the manager caught us. The drivers would let us in the cab and have a go at driving as they shunted them around the yard, happy days. The funny thing was we'd be ecstatic if we saw a diesel engine as it was mainly steam up there. Somewhere I have a couple of pictures I took of the last steam train run by BR in August 1968 at Bolton station.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3728723)   #1339
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I've had better weekends . At least I'm not driving home from Hockenheim. Having a couple or three beers in Airport at Frankfurt.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3728725)   #1340
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I've had better weekends . At least I'm not driving home from Hockenheim. Having a couple or three beers in Airport at Frankfurt.
Of course, you're back there next w/end?

So, Classic Car Drive It Day.... How many did I see being driven? Precisely none! I did follow a Civic that must have been 17 years old, plus bloke round the corner had his garage open and was looking at his Cortina GT 4dr. Just looking at it......
Old 23 Apr 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3728739)   #1341
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So, Classic Car Drive It Day.... How many did I see being driven? Precisely none! I did follow a Civic that must have been 17 years old, plus bloke round the corner had his garage open and was looking at his Cortina GT 4dr. Just looking at it......
I took mine out
Old 23 Apr 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3728742)   #1342
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
That's two of us then!

I guess there will have been organised drives and gatherings somewhere.....
Old 23 Apr 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3728746)   #1343
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
There's been a few but nothing near me, I have had an enjoyable few hours going out and buying and fitting a new washing machine after the old one died at 3:15pm
Old 23 Apr 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3728747)   #1344
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oldest thing I drove today was a 2010 hire Transit! Some time after the beer I hasten to add.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 23 Apr 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3728749)   #1345
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
My Daughter and her bare have picked me up from airport. I'm sitting in the back and they have not stopped talking . It's funny.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 20:34 (Ref:3728758)   #1346
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
My Daughter and her bare have picked me up from airport. I'm sitting in the back and they have not stopped talking . It's funny.
Her bare what Iain?
Old 23 Apr 2017, 22:42 (Ref:3728788)   #1347
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Mike, I was racing a Mk1 MX5 at Snett - does that count?
Old 24 Apr 2017, 05:58 (Ref:3728819)   #1348
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Mike, I was racing a Mk1 MX5 at Snett - does that count?
Just! I saw one with cage and numbers on Fri PM coming away from Sainsbury's fuel station in the town centre, so that was hopefully road reg! He probably wondered why the +4 with cage and race numbers was going the wrong way......

Early MX5 gets enough mag coverage to be classed as Classic......
Old 24 Apr 2017, 05:59 (Ref:3728820)   #1349
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Payback for all those 'dad taxi' years?
Old 24 Apr 2017, 06:40 (Ref:3728824)   #1350
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Just! I saw one with cage and numbers on Fri PM coming away from Sainsbury's fuel station in the town centre, so that was hopefully road reg! He probably wondered why the +4 with cage and race numbers was going the wrong way......

Early MX5 gets enough mag coverage to be classed as Classic......

There were one or two real classics out & about around here - a Mustang was in the village at lunch time, & a Porsche owner called in at our bar whilst out on a drive.
Closed Thread