Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Nov 2010, 00:43 (Ref:2784694)   #1
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Peugeot 908 discussion

I don't need any 5 page dissertation about thermal efficiency of fuel A over B, just discussion of THIS car.

Ta.

Ayse?

If you are alive, and willing, could you shovel the proper bits from the 'other' thread over here, please???
Old 4 Nov 2010, 01:10 (Ref:2784707)   #2
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...0x-comparison/

Probably been posted before on the other thread, but a good article of the differences between the 90x and 908.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 02:43 (Ref:2784728)   #3
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept10.html and http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov10.html are also must read material.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 04:42 (Ref:2784747)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
LMAO ..... Part B of the first photo reminds me of something !!!
Old 4 Nov 2010, 06:25 (Ref:2784764)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I don't need any 5 page dissertation about thermal efficiency of fuel A over B, just discussion of THIS car.

Ta.

Ayse?

If you are alive, and willing, could you shovel the proper bits from the 'other' thread over here, please???
That's a slightly more time-consuming thing to do than it first appeared. I will later today - with luck.....
Old 4 Nov 2010, 06:56 (Ref:2784768)   #6
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I doubt this is the finished car for Peugeot. I think it's retained some body work because the 908 itself wasn't a bad package to begin with. In the years it has raced, it's beaten Audi on almost every occasion bar LeMans. Audi is the one that would be needing something drastic in change if it's to keep pace with the 908. Though with new rules in terms of the engine, this could all be washed away. With the 90x though, you notice immediately it's a smaller car. It looks lower, a bit shorter as well. It's also more sculpted. Not sure if the front wheels are the same size as the rear. Maybe. But on Mulsanne corner's website they talk of the radiator cooling vents, they've been enlarged and look to be stronger than before. On the 908 they looked easy to punch through, as what happened in LeMans. But now it looks like it's 'stronger'. The vents that is.

What I wonder is if they could use 'blown exhaust' like they do in F1? Perhaps running the exhaust lower through the diffuser and out the rear bodywork. Not sure if that's legal, but it would be a neat idea to try out.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 09:23 (Ref:2784798)   #7
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
It has a family look about it, but when you start looking more closely, there are many detail changes to be found.
Mike's articles cover most of them, as did some of the previous thread before it degenerated!

I suspect there is a degree of 'hiding in plain sight' going on here, seeing as it is painted up EXACTLY like the 908 from last year...
Old 4 Nov 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2784854)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont believe that this is the car at all . I reckon when it is unveiled , it will be much differant than their test hack . Its a parts test vehicle , and they can compare the results against their vast data log they have with their currant chassis .

Im saying this because , over the last few years , works teams have kept things very close to their chests , until the car in officially unveiled .
Old 4 Nov 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2784861)   #9
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What must also be remembered is that the 908 was designed with the power and size of the 908. Both power and size has decreased, so therefor a new design seems like the best way to get the optimal aerodynamics.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 13:05 (Ref:2784880)   #10
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I can understand this, IF it was a standard 908 with some new bits...

It is not. This is much revised, and shorter than even last year's car. THAT makes no sense, unless this is at the very least a good guide for Peugeot about 90X...
Old 4 Nov 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2784898)   #11
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I can understand this, IF it was a standard 908 with some new bits...

It is not. This is much revised, and shorter than even last year's car. THAT makes no sense, unless this is at the very least a good guide for Peugeot about 90X...
I Know .
But i'm referring to the front end, where it doesn't seem to happened much more that a "high-speed" setup.
That makes me believe that this is only a front setup to test the rest of the chassis and aero parts. The full aero package will first be tested in 2011.
As long as all the mechanical parts and coolers are where it should be on the 90X, they can run a large amount of mechanical tests to ensure that the reliability is where it should be, and later test the aerodynamics. (which will also save some money as the test team wont be in standby until the aerodynamics team is done)
Old 4 Nov 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2785000)   #12
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am of course not absolutely sure but I also think that the pics published of the 90X don't show the final version. They tested new parts and a new engine ( we all don't know if it was the final solution) and I don't think that Peugeot showed us all new elements so early. I cannot imagine that the front will be used in this layout
Old 4 Nov 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2785016)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Autoweek published an interesting article about the 90X online today. They said that the (Autosport) shots from Monza prompted Peugeot to release pictures of the 90X testing at "an undisclosed French test track at the end of July." So has this thing has been testing since July this year, or was this a misinformed reporter?

They also go on to say "The team principal of one rival manufacturer said, "All their politicking [on behalf of turbodiesels] means that I cannot believe that they are going [with] petrol."
Old 4 Nov 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2785021)   #14
Laurent
Rookie

France
20 km away from Paris (France)
Laurent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For sure, the three official pictures were shot in France : it looks like Mortefontaine (where was officially revealed the 908 in january 2007) or Satory, a little circuit very close to Citroën Racing (and not far away from Vélizy, home of Peugeot Sport). Both are in the forest and are quite narrow just like on the pictures.

And for sure too, the official press release seemed to have been written in a rush. Which is quite astonishing when you're testing in Monza. You can be sure that there will be spy shots on this track...
Old 4 Nov 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2785024)   #15
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Autoweek published an interesting article about the 90X online today. They said that the (Autosport) shots from Monza prompted Peugeot to release pictures of the 90X testing at "an undisclosed French test track at the end of July." So has this thing has been testing since July this year, or was this a misinformed reporter?
It's consistent with some reports I saw on a French forum, about L'Equipe mentioning the fact that the 90X was run for the first time at some point in July. So that would mean that the photos show an even earlier version of car than we were all expecting, which probably means that the car that races at Sebring will be a different proposition in certain aspects.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2785040)   #16
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

They also go on to say "The team principal of one rival manufacturer said, "All their politicking [on behalf of turbodiesels] means that I cannot believe that they are going [with] petrol."

From this week's issue of Autohebdo (french racing mag), I can translate:

"By dint of going on every circuits, testing its new 90X, it was clear that hot pics of the 2011 Peugeot were going to get out. After Barcelona a month ago, then Magny-Cours more recently, It's at Monza that Peugeot Sport got surprised in action."

So no mention a July test, but obviously they pretend it tested in Spain in september. Thinking twice about it, it sounds strange, given that Barcelona is one of the few tracks with a permanent webcam. We should have seen a spy pic sooner if it's true...
Old 4 Nov 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2785063)   #17
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
So no mention a July test, but obviously they pretend it tested in Spain in september. Thinking twice about it, it sounds strange, given that Barcelona is one of the few tracks with a permanent webcam. We should have seen a spy pic sooner if it's true...
Perhaps a method of avoiding the webcam... night running?
Old 4 Nov 2010, 19:41 (Ref:2785068)   #18
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or just asking them to turn the webcam off?
Old 4 Nov 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2785091)   #19
d.rocky
Racer

England
Lola country.
d.rocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Or just asking them to turn the webcam off?
what a boring conspiracy theory.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2785095)   #20
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.rocky View Post
what a boring conspiracy theory.
Perhaps the 90X countered the webcam by spewing out black smoke as it passed as per the 2010 season?
Old 4 Nov 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2785100)   #21
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Perhaps the 90X countered the webcam by spewing out black smoke as it passed as per the 2010 season?
Or they just didn't care!
I remember when i wasted a lot of school hours watching a Webcam on a track where Peugeot tested the small wing.
The pics i got was terrible and useless.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2785125)   #22
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Or they just didn't care!
I remember when i wasted a lot of school hours watching a Webcam on a track where Peugeot tested the small wing.
The pics i got was terrible and useless.
Yeh and after that test I seem to remember the webcam never seemed to work very well or at all in some cases.
Plus I think I may have failed an exam due to that test HA.

Edit: It appears they have removed their webcam altogether from the site
Old 4 Nov 2010, 22:37 (Ref:2785139)   #23
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Remember what Marshall Pruet wrote after Le Mans: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...iple-stint-78/
Quote:
A few tipsy Peugeot mechanics let loose during post-race celebrations that the French team is almost ready to shake down their new V8-powered 2011 LMP1 car. That would be many months ahead of schedule, so we might need to blame their statement on the alcohol.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2785159)   #24
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Old 5 Nov 2010, 00:47 (Ref:2785190)   #25
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Remember what Marshall Pruet wrote after Le Mans: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...iple-stint-78/
ahh, V8. Well that doesn't answer the diesel or petrol question, dang!