Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 Aug 2008, 02:22 (Ref:2267074)   #201
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Ah, but it is the carousel. It sucks you in and then pulls the rug out from under your feet. So, yes it was self induced, but...

L.P.
And the car was definitely still in with a shot til the bitter end, so no harm, no foul. I'm sure it helped make sure that Montagny would be doing the rest of the driving, but he has not harmed his future potential too much, given the lack of time in the car.

I just have a little thought that's come from this race. Have we not seen that the ALMS can now run to a 4 hour format and still make for entertaining TV? There is really close racing among the bulk of the prototypes and the GT2 cars and the technical preparation is such that the whole field ran strong. Would it not be nice to see this format adopted elsewhere? Into dusk at Mosport...a marquee event would help capitalize on a strong spectator base. Just a thought, though one I've seen echoed elsewhere.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:25 (Ref:2267327)   #202
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
And the car was definitely still in with a shot til the bitter end, so no harm, no foul. I'm sure it helped make sure that Montagny would be doing the rest of the driving, but he has not harmed his future potential too much, given the lack of time in the car.

I just have a little thought that's come from this race. Have we not seen that the ALMS can now run to a 4 hour format and still make for entertaining TV? There is really close racing among the bulk of the prototypes and the GT2 cars and the technical preparation is such that the whole field ran strong. Would it not be nice to see this format adopted elsewhere? Into dusk at Mosport...a marquee event would help capitalize on a strong spectator base. Just a thought, though one I've seen echoed elsewhere.
It seems though that the caution periods had more to do with the close racing than anything as the Audis might have gone off and hidden from the rest of the field if not for those 7 cautions.

DK
Old 11 Aug 2008, 16:09 (Ref:2267349)   #203
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But at least to some extent, one cannot forget that close racing breeds caution periods. Yes, the Audis would have run off and hid over 4 hours, you are correct, but I would also contest the assertion that the close racing would have been done for because of that. P2 and GT2 doubtless would have remained proper dustups the whole race through, irrespective of yellow flags.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2267400)   #204
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy
If we could get a DNF from the 7, we could have a VERY interesting finish to the LMP2 championship!

That's for sure. I wasn't too happy with the way Penske hadtheir team car cruise through the pits to let #7 take position. But then again, I guess it is a team and you have to do what's best for the team. Also if the AGR car didn't crash out, it could have been a 2nd for Highcroft and a 4th for the #7 Penske, that would have slightly altered the points scheme.

Overall it was an action packed last 15 minutes. Glad to see the #37 Intersport only finish a lap down after 4 hours. That is their best run of the year (even though they have had a few 2nd's).
Old 11 Aug 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2267416)   #205
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Of course anything can happen, but #7 and it's driver squad seem to leave very little risk of a DNF occurring. One has to figure that Detroit would be the most likely location for that - just getting caught up in someone else's cockup is a big risk on street circuits. That or PLM, because 9 hours is still a good chunk of time for something to break. Of course, the same applies to #9, and IMO Sharp represents a bigger risk than either Bernhard or Dumas, so things still seem to be slanted in Penske's favour.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 04:17 (Ref:2268223)   #206
Ryan
Rookie

United States
Wisconsin
Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was glad I was able to attend RA for the second year in a row. I was able to get Mansell's autograph on my 4 cars that I have had for 14 years now. I thought that I would never meet him, but I finally did. Tiff from 5th Gear was there filming a show for Discovery England. He said that he was trying to sell the show to Discovery America, but I doubt that they will want it IMO. Does anyone know what the name of that show is, so I can watch it on youtube or download it, because I want to see if I made it into the filming.

Forsythe's racing future is doubtful, because my inside source told me that he laid off more people on Friday. (He also said that it would be coming out in a few days, but I haven't seen anything. I find it hard to believe that I would be breaking a news story). The merger has taken a toll on him personally and financially.

If I remember anything else, I will be sure to post it.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 08:20 (Ref:2268306)   #207
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Delighted for Highcroft . Great when you cant foretell the class winners .

We need a couple of them Acura LMP2's in the LMS .
Old 14 Aug 2008, 00:01 (Ref:2268783)   #208
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Something that can't be stressed enough is the fantastic result for the Intersport Lola in this race. It was an endurance race (4 hours ok but still considered an enduro) and the Intersport Lola only finished 1 lap behind the "factory" car entries from Audi, Acura and Penske. The only privateer to beat them was Dyson (about as good as it gets for non-factory teams). A seventh overall against such stellar competition. Very nice run for them. I would hope we can see such efforts in the next few rounds. They even got to lead a few laps. I was impressed and very happy to see it.

DK
Old 14 Aug 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2268794)   #209
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
Something that can't be stressed enough is the fantastic result for the Intersport Lola in this race. It was an endurance race (4 hours ok but still considered an enduro) and the Intersport Lola only finished 1 lap behind the "factory" car entries from Audi, Acura and Penske. The only privateer to beat them was Dyson (about as good as it gets for non-factory teams). A seventh overall against such stellar competition. Very nice run for them. I would hope we can see such efforts in the next few rounds. They even got to lead a few laps. I was impressed and very happy to see it.

DK
While I agree that it was a great showing for Intersport, I beg to differ that the Acuras are 'factory' cars. Every ARX-01b that raced, is owned by the team that runs it!

L.P.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 01:48 (Ref:2268799)   #210
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
While I agree that it was a great showing for Intersport, I beg to differ that the Acuras are 'factory' cars. Every ARX-01b that raced, is owned by the team that runs it!

L.P.
Sorry..

Aston Martin does not own any of the cars factory campaigned the last three years at Le Mans or ALMS..

So I "guess" according to your somewhat limp logic, that it was not a factory car effort?

Last edited by Aslak Vind; 14 Aug 2008 at 01:55.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 02:24 (Ref:2268805)   #211
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Sorry..

Aston Martin does not own any of the cars factory campaigned the last three years at Le Mans or ALMS..

So I "guess" according to your somewhat limp logic, that it was not a factory car effort?
Hmm, there is a difference between owning and running, vs just running! Those are two totally different scenarios.

L.P.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2269119)   #212
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most Factory or Works teams cars are Not owned by that manufacture. Those cars are sub contracted to a race team to run the cars. The Manufacture provides support in many forms to that contracted team.

But still does not own that team.

Yet the FIA and ACO do not have 'CLEAR' rules as what IS a Factory or Works team ?

"Clear" ?? DOH I forgot those orgainzations are French. so it is "in the spirit of"

ie clear as mud.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 14 Aug 2008 at 16:36.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2269145)   #213
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to open a can of worms here regarding factory/non-factory. I just wanted to give some praise to the Intersport guys and basically say that they are on a level with Dyson rather than some of the other teams that finished ahead of them who, lets say have a closer relationship with the manufacturers than Intersport does.

DK
Old 14 Aug 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2269329)   #214
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Intersport has SO much potential - if only they could dump Berry & teach Jon how to manage tyres.
Great race in every class & for the overall - Was nice to see Champcar going around Road America one last time LOL
Old 16 Aug 2008, 00:45 (Ref:2269897)   #215
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Most Factory or Works teams cars are Not owned by that manufacture. Those cars are sub contracted to a race team to run the cars. The Manufacture provides support in many forms to that contracted team.

But still does not own that team.

Yet the FIA and ACO do not have 'CLEAR' rules as what IS a Factory or Works team ?

"Clear" ?? DOH I forgot those orgainzations are French. so it is "in the spirit of"

ie clear as mud.
Corrrect, in fact some manufactures do not hold the rights to the so called works cars. More than you think!
Old 16 Aug 2008, 00:51 (Ref:2269898)   #216
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
Intersport has SO much potential - if only they could dump Berry & teach Jon how to manage tyres.
Dump Berry? Think that might cause some problems in the long run...
Old 16 Aug 2008, 03:48 (Ref:2269928)   #217
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
Dump Berry? Think that might cause some problems in the long run...
Yeah, how fast can a team with no money for gas be?! It's a nice pipe dream though - if they could come up with a sponsor, then sure, it would be nice to see a source of funding that did not come with an anchor masquerading as a driver attached to it, but what can you do?
Old 16 Aug 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2270047)   #218
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
Corrrect, in fact some manufactures do not hold the rights to the so called works cars. More than you think!
Keeps the legal eagles and bean counters at a distance then.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 05:03 (Ref:2270765)   #219
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
This was my 7th visit to the Road America round of the ALMS, the 1st one being in 2002. Again I went this year with my Dad and uncle. And again I brought along my bike to do the Tour de Road America. Left uncle's house early Friday morning, and got to our site in the Carousel around 11pm. Overall it was a pretty awesome weekend for us. I did the Tour de Road America Friday night. The ride itself around the track was awesome, if a bit grueling, giving the fact I couldn't switch down to my lower gears half the time. Oliver Gavin and Doug Fehan apparently raced each other, with O'Connel on the back on a truck in front of Oliver commentating for Speed. Did three laps of the track total(that front straight is a b****, especially on a mountain bike).

Now, I know in past years there have been different set of girls in the paddock; Hawaiian Tropic, Bridgestone, Pirelli(I think?), Hazardous girls, and a few others. Walking down the hill from the main paddock, after browsing through the shops above, we came across the Patron VIP tent. Oh boy, did we enjoy that tent. Being 22, I got entrance of course, and noticed all the Patron ladies, DJ playing the beats, racing simulator, and the Patron being served. While my Dad and uncle got some Patron(never had it before), I tried out the racing simulator. After a Patron lady explained the controls, I drove. First time out, and I finish 1st. I was the only person that day so far to get 1st; nice. Tried some Patron(I'm not a drinker, but that stuff is good!). Returned to the tent Saturday to watch the race on the plasma screen they had, and also tried the simulator again, this time set up on a road course. Again I got first, and surprisingly was told I was the only person to get 1st that day. All in all an awesome experience.

The rest of the weekend was nice. Went to Siebkens both nights; more packed than last year I'd say. Patron girls roamed the premises. Tiki bar down below by the lake was hoppin'(they make good ice cream cones). Saw Doug Fehan in the Paddock Club restaurant both nights. Go-karted once on the go-kart track(again, although not as slow as last year's, those karts were slow enough were I almost didn't need my brake). Didn't buy any merchandise this year(studying in London this fall; the Pound isn't very friendly to the Dollar right now). Both Speed Challenge races were kind of boring; hopefully it comes off different on TV. Overall a pretty good weekend; hopefully the IRL can come one year. Wonder why they're racing in Iowa next year, and not Road America....

What was up with the freezing weather Saturday night, and half of Sunday? It's August!!

Here are a select bunch of pics I took throughout the weekend; I'll post the links to the full albums too. I also took video of my ride around Road America on the bike; those will be up later.

On our way down to our uncles in the morning

Our campsite

Karting

Falken Ford GT

Mustang

Michelin Man

599 Fioriano

Before people being released onto grid

Start

Yes

Haven't seen this much this season

Ford GT and Tafel Ferrari