Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Jun 2023, 22:58 (Ref:4164535)   #1
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who Am I Quiz?

The previous questions I came up with seemed quite popular so I thought I'd try something a bit different.

Can you name the following drivers? (I believe all the clues are enough to provide a unique answer)

1. I've tested a BTC-Touring spec car but never raced one. My only points finish came in the only race I finished that season. I've shared a car in another series with a driver on the grid in 2023.

2. My first and last times driving a BTCC car were 22 years apart. I temporarily owned a team in another sport. I have finished on the podium only once.

3. I am a BTCC winner but I have never won a touring car race in the UK. My first race was in a Peugeot. I have won the Autosport British Club Driver of the Year.

4. I was best known for non-motorsport activities. I held a helicopter license. I drove Ford and BMW cars in the BTCC.

5. I made my debut at Silverstone, though this was not the first round of the season. I have been team-mate to a former champion. I won a support series after my spell in the BTCC.

6. I competed in two seasons in the BTCC. My best finish was 5th, on two occasions. I subsequently achieved a class podium at Le Mans.

7. I have been team-mates with Jean-Louis Schlesser and John Cleland. I have finished on the podium in class at the Le Mans 24 hours. I finished 7th in a Ford in a non-european Super Touring series.

8. After many seasons competiting in support categories I completed two part seasons in a Vauxhall. I raced for the family team. My best finish was at Rockingham.

9. I was born in 1967. I competed in four separate seaons in four different cars. I competed in a single WTCC round. I briefly held a record in hillclimbing.

10. I hold a unique points total related BTCC record. I have finished only three races in my BTCC career. I am not British.

Last edited by thetool; 18 Jun 2023 at 23:17.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 04:41 (Ref:4164552)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now this is tough, but I'll give it a try, this is very intriguing
1) Can't remember who tested, but didn't race a BTC spec car, nor do the other clues give me a hint, so I'll pass
2) I can think of someone, Dave Pinkney. After all he got one podium back at Knockhill in 2006, after coming close earlier in the season and never getting close again
3) That's another easy one. Mike Jordan took his only BTCC win in Ireland and raced a Peugeot back in 89(same year Andy was born!). He's done quite a bit in his career
4) Well there's one name I can think of, broadcaster Mike Smith. He had a helicopter licence and was famous for driving for BMW and in a few Fords in the mid to late 80s
5) One name springs to mind, Carl Breeze. He made his debut in 2002 Silverstone, which was the 4th meeting of the year. And one of his team mates that year was Tim Harvey. He subsequently won the Ginetta supercup
6) Tough one. Have to do a lot of research for that. I bet it will bug me if I find out after
7) Well Jeff Allam was team mates with Schlesser and Cleland, the latter for a few years. I think he got the class podium in the 83 LM IIRC. And I guess the non-European TC series is Down Under in 95?
8) Another tough one, no name springs to mind. Trying to think who drove a Vauxhall during the times Rockingham was used. So 2003, 07-18 I'm looking at
9) I'm guessing Robb Holland? He drove a Honda, a Vauxhall, an Audi, A Toyota. He's raced in plenty of categories around the world, including WTCC. Didn't know about the hillclimbing
10) Well there's one I can think of. A driver who competed in the last three 3 races, the final meeting at Thruxton in 2007. Dutchman Tom Coronel
Old 19 Jun 2023, 06:24 (Ref:4164561)   #3
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think S Griffin has got most of them (2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, and maybe 10).

2 Dave Pinkney owned a football club,
3 Mike Jordan,
4 the late Mike Smith who raced a BMW M3 and Sierra (and was endurance driver and team entrant for Robb Gravett),
5 Carl Breeze,
7 Jeff Allam
9 Robb Holland (who was very rapid at Pikes Peak)
10 could be Coronel

I'm going to add,

8. Martin Johnson - raced a BTC-T Vauxhall Astra Coupe in '09 and '10. I remember him overtaking Giovanardi in '09 at Rockingham. Raced Clios for a long time beforehand.

1 and 6 are tough
Old 19 Jun 2023, 06:45 (Ref:4164564)   #4
SSmith
Veteran

After a little bit of research, I may have a name for #6 - Eugene O'Brien. Raced in BTCC in 1993 and 1994 for Peugeot (two 5th place finishes in 1993), and was part of a privateer Callaway Corvette team that came 3rd in the LMGT2 class at Le Mans in 1995.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 07:42 (Ref:4164567)   #5
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the answers provided so far are correct, apart from number 10. So just number 1 and 10 left so solve now.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 08:18 (Ref:4164572)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
10. I hold a unique points total related BTCC record. I have finished only three races in my BTCC career. I am not British.
Dennis Strandberg?
Old 19 Jun 2023, 08:58 (Ref:4164581)   #7
sjb114
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dorset
sjb114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could 10. be Hyla Breese, only finished 3 races and had engine penalties
Old 19 Jun 2023, 09:30 (Ref:4164584)   #8
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb114 View Post
Could 10. be Hyla Breese, only finished 3 races and had engine penalties
Correct.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 10:02 (Ref:4164589)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
For number 10, Breese started 3 races but only finished 2 of them.

What are you classing as his unique record? If it's that he ended the year on negative points, he's not the only driver to do that.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 10:11 (Ref:4164590)   #10
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
What are you classing as his unique record? If it's that he ended the year on negative points, he's not the only driver to do that.
Yes Dan Welch being a notable other negative points scorer. Hyla Breese is however, to the best of my knowledge, the only driver to have a negative career points total in the BTCC.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 10:14 (Ref:4164592)   #11
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hyla Breese is however, to the best of my knowledge, the only driver to have a negative career points total in the BTCC.
Nick Halstead gunning for that record!
Old 19 Jun 2023, 10:17 (Ref:4164593)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
For number 10, Breese started 3 races but only finished 2 of them.

IIRC, Dan Welch holds the record with -40pts?

Mark Howard also registered a -ve score one season.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 10:19 (Ref:4164594)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Yes Dan Welch being a notable other negative points scorer. Hyla Breese is however, to the best of my knowledge, the only driver to have a negative career points total in the BTCC.
Mark Howard's career total is -3pts.

Good question though.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 11:06 (Ref:4164602)   #14
SSmith
Veteran

Has anyone had any thoughts regarding Q1?

I was a little confused by the question- if I've interpreted it correctly we're looking for a BTCC driver who:
- Competed in the BTCC (but not in a BTC-T car as they only tested it)
- Finished only one race and scored points in it

I've grappled with it a bit, and spotted Chris Ryan who raced in the Production class in 2003. He only finished one race (and won the class) and competed for a team that owned a BTC-T Astra Coupe (so maybe he tested it?). I've struggled to find a link to the current grid though.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 11:14 (Ref:4164605)   #15
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
- Finished only one race and scored points in it
They finished races in other season(s) but the season they scored point(s) it was the only race they finished.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 12:01 (Ref:4164616)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
1. I've tested a BTC-Touring spec car but never raced one. My only points finish came in the only race I finished that season. I've shared a car in another series with a driver on the grid in 2023.
Chris Goodwin ?
His only BTCC points score was at Silverstone in 1993, and his only other race that year was a DNF at Brands Hatch.
He's shared a car with Andrew Watson in 2018 Spa 24h (Garage 59 McLaren)
I don't recall him testing a BTC-T car, although perhaps for a magazine article as he's done a lot of that sort of thing.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 12:18 (Ref:4164617)   #17
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Chris Goodwin ?
His only BTCC points score was at Silverstone in 1993, and his only other race that year was a DNF at Brands Hatch.
He's shared a car with Andrew Watson in 2018 Spa 24h (Garage 59 McLaren)
I don't recall him testing a BTC-T car, although perhaps for a magazine article as he's done a lot of that sort of thing.
That's the one. He tested the Peugeot 406 Coupe in 2001 with a view to racing the third car after Neal/Dynamics split from VLR. Nothing ever came of it and instead the chassis was used for Aaron Slight at Donington and then by Dan Eaves after his was heavily damaged in a fire at Knockhill.