Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Apr 2002, 15:55 (Ref:262260)   #1
powermite
Rookie

powermite should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Film On Telly

LeMans the film is on Channel 5 on Friday 26th @ 3.30 pm
Early finish anyone??
PM
Old 16 Apr 2002, 16:17 (Ref:262284)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hey, well spotted PM!

Get those vids set up everyone, it is a must have as well as a must see!
Old 16 Apr 2002, 17:59 (Ref:262368)   #3
Lewis
Rookie

Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice One!!! Starring the Best Actor Ever!!! Steve McQueen!!
Old 16 Apr 2002, 18:32 (Ref:262385)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thank God, my final uni project is that day @ 3.00pm, so instead of going to the pub straight home and stright in front of the telly, the pub can wait.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 18:50 (Ref:262403)   #5
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Wahey!
Old 16 Apr 2002, 20:04 (Ref:262458)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH SCHOOL!!!!!!

Video better work!!!!

thanks for telling us!!
Old 16 Apr 2002, 20:39 (Ref:262494)   #7
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if I'll watch it.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 23:26 (Ref:262636)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for that, Hakkiman.

While we're on the subject of the best motor racing film ever, can someone enlighten me about the Porsche wreck which takes place in it?

There is the spectacular sequence of a 917 bouncing off guardrails which results in someone's apparent retirement (not giving away too many plot points for those who've not yet seen it).

Was this scripted? The cameras seem too well-placed for it to be chance, but on the other hand, it's an odd twist for the narrative to take. Was it a stunt setup, or... was it done to take something positive from David Piper crashing a car during filming. If it is a stunt, did they incorporate anything from Piper's accident?

All this I could probably answer for myself if I had a copy of "A French Kiss with Death", but I don't, so I'm hoping one of you erudite people....

It seems an odd thing to do - incorporating a personal injury accident into footage for a movie, but at about the same time, the makers of "Tora Tora Tora" were splicing crash footage of one of their B-17 bombers into the storyline, so stranger things have happened.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 05:49 (Ref:262725)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Channel 5, huh ? How could I get channel Five on THIS side of the channel ?

A charitable soul to record and send it, please !!! (I'll pay for that !)

french TV...

Last edited by Fab; 17 Apr 2002 at 05:50.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 07:27 (Ref:262752)   #10
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

A charitable soul to record and send it, please !!!
I am sure one or other of use can do this and bring it to PQ. I certainly intend to record it but my Channel 5 reception is variable. I'll let you know how I get on.

FG
Old 17 Apr 2002, 07:42 (Ref:262760)   #11
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be recording it off digital so i should get a good quality recording, if any one wants a copy let me know.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 08:01 (Ref:262773)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re the 917 crash, I belive I am right in saying that it was staged.
the car that looked like a 917 was in fact a Lola T70 dressed up like a 917 as a real 917 was to costly to crash.
others that have the book Kiss with Death will I am sure know for sure.

PS Living where we do, sadly we cannot pick up C5,the reason, it would interfere with French TV I am told.....

Last edited by Nordic; 17 Apr 2002 at 08:03.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 08:28 (Ref:262786)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the crash was staged.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 08:48 (Ref:262789)   #14
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
PS Living where we do, sadly we cannot pick up C5,the reason, it would interfere with French TV I am told.....
Yes, that is correct. The frequency is too close to those that the French use.

But this only applies to the analogue signal. You can get C5 on digital through SKY or via ITV digital (shortly to go bust). We pick up C5 from the digital Reigate transmitter, but it's a bit flaky.

Bear in mind that the only reason to get the bloody auful C5 is this film, the rest of it you can forget.

FG
Old 17 Apr 2002, 10:17 (Ref:262853)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by egor
I'll be recording it off digital so i should get a good quality recording, if any one wants a copy let me know.
Egor, if you'd be not so far, I'll kiss you !

Of course, I'm interrested !

What's your mail adress ? I'll send you my postal adress and you'll let me know "how many" for the price !

Oh boy !

Last edited by Fab; 17 Apr 2002 at 10:18.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 12:06 (Ref:262998)   #16
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Re the 917 crash, I belive I am right in saying that it was staged.
the car that looked like a 917 was in fact a Lola T70 dressed up like a 917 as a real 917 was to costly to crash.
others that have the book Kiss with Death will I am sure know for sure.
If you watch the crash closely, particularly on the slow-mo version which Delaney gets in flashbacks you can clearly see the yellow Lola underneath the 917 body. You can even see the race number either 11 or 22 if my memory serves me right.

On the question of David Piper's injury, does anyone know how and when that happened? Is it in the film, I guess not as most of the big moments seem to be scripted. In the credits at the end there is special thanks to David Piper,least they could I suppose.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 13:51 (Ref:263097)   #17
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a great picture showing one of the full size radio control cars they used.
Attached Thumbnails
db41.jpg  
Old 17 Apr 2002, 16:58 (Ref:263261)   #18
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i have a perfect channel 5 signal...but this may be the first time i've ever watched anything on it!

seems a strange coincidence that they've scheduled it so close to test day.....a closet fan in high c5 places?!
Old 18 Apr 2002, 22:05 (Ref:264368)   #19
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
On the question of David Piper's injury, does anyone know how and when that happened? Is it in the film, I guess not as most of the big moments seem to be scripted. In the credits at the end there is special thanks to David Piper,least they could I suppose.
I don't think it is in the movie (I have it on tape but haven't actually watched it for a few years, shame on me...); from what I remember it had something to do with a Ferrari 512 catching fire. Or did I get the accidents mixed up?

Also, I believe the book is called "French Kiss of Death".

Incidentally, there are still rumours that the 2002 Michel Vaillant movie is in doubt. Does anybody know more about that project?
Old 19 Apr 2002, 05:33 (Ref:264541)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Incidentally, there are still rumours that the 2002 Michel Vaillant movie is in doubt. Does anybody know more about that project?
The contract was signed this week between ACO and Besson. The film will be made...
Old 19 Apr 2002, 17:07 (Ref:264970)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Got the book but haven't finished it yet - I'll report when I have, unless someone beats me to it......
Old 20 Apr 2002, 20:30 (Ref:265859)   #22
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool Ive got friday off work 'cos Im having a pipe fiited outta my stomach thru my nose on thursday... think my recovery will be on the sofa with the Playstation until the film starts... might even buy the Le Mans game to get in the mood!
Old 21 Apr 2002, 12:16 (Ref:266271)   #23
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i feel a day off work , ive never seen that film yet always wanted to ..
Old 21 Apr 2002, 15:25 (Ref:266446)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hey ghinzani, that sounds a pretty desperate reason to grab a day off?!

Best of luck to you matey, anyway!
Old 21 Apr 2002, 17:42 (Ref:266596)   #25
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a good excuse for the afternoon off college