Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jun 2003, 10:56 (Ref:633999)   #1
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flags

Why do the ACO have so much trouble with the Union Jack?

One of the flags hung above the pits was upside down as was one of the flags flying above the winners heads on the podium.

Bad form chaps.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:25 (Ref:634031)   #2
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Typical bloody ACO, first they dont let in mg and morgan....now they get the flags wrong...huh

Last edited by Aysedasi; 17 Jun 2003 at 15:27.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:59 (Ref:634181)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm no flag expert here - how do you tell? With ours, it's obvious (not that that has stopped the Americans from flying it upside down )
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:05 (Ref:634197)   #4
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's called the Union FLAG, it frustrates me that people don't even know what their national flag is called.

The Union Jack is what you fly the White Ensign from on board a Naval vessel.

If you fly the Union Flag upside down means the Queen has died.

In the lower corner, where it attaches to the pole, the White diagonal is larger in the vertical than the horizontal.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:13 (Ref:634228)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Sorry Jason, your right of coarse, put it down to a long weekend in very hot weather.
But at least I know when its upside down! I did not know it was a serious as meaning the queen had died, I thought it had something to do with a vessel in distress.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:15 (Ref:634231)   #6
Rcutler
Rookie

Rcutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were in fact two Union Flags flying upside down on the pits tribune and they had even managed to get the german flag upside down aswell. Just as well the french flag is impossible to mount upside down otherwise they will stuff that up as well.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:23 (Ref:634257)   #7
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
www.jdawiseman.com/papers/union-jack/union-jack.html

This may help the ACO, and also gives the history of the Union flag.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:28 (Ref:634273)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, even that link has union Jack written on it
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:30 (Ref:634276)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry jason

Quote:
It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".

Last edited by pirenzo; 17 Jun 2003 at 13:31.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:32 (Ref:634283)   #10
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
You learn something new every day!
I have also forwarded it to the ACO for next year when Aston Martin clinch a surprise last lap victory.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:34 (Ref:634290)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
That was from the link you posted Nordic
Old 17 Jun 2003, 18:41 (Ref:634678)   #12
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So both names are correct, I still will call it the Union Flag.

As for Queen Dying/Vessel in distress, it does means both aswell
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:07 (Ref:634706)   #13
jase
Veteran

Pirenzo, just looked at the same site and it continues in the next paragraph

Quote:
However, the Royal Navy disagrees:

The national flag of the United Kingdom is worn as a Jack at the bow by all HM ships in commission when alongside or when 'dressed overall'. This is the only occasion when it is correctly called the Union Jack, although it is generally known by this name through common usage. It is also flown during Courts Martial and is the Distinguishing Flag of an Admiral of the Fleet.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 05:20 (Ref:635160)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Flags

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Why do the ACO have so much trouble with the Union Jack?

One of the flags hung above the pits was upside down as was one of the flags flying above the winners heads on the podium.

Bad form chaps.
Sole consolation : you had two 'God Save the Queen' anthem !
Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:41 (Ref:635187)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes, i read that Jason. The thing is that Union Jack was given "parliamentary approvement in 1908" The Navy's views don't count for anything, they're not official
Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:57 (Ref:635199)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore

2 comments
1) Maybe the ACO are closet Smiths fans
2) How silly is it having a flag that can be accidentally flown upside down by those not really in the know anyway..typically British I suppose (just look at the number of ways words ending "ough" can be pronounced)

Last edited by PaulSands; 18 Jun 2003 at 06:57.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 12:17 (Ref:635433)   #17
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
Gee I'm sorry to hear that!