Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Sep 2003, 19:51 (Ref:708382)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA GT To go Global?

According to this weeks Autosport Magazine the FIA GT series looks set to go back to "World" Status as it was previously in the 1997-1998 seasons, because it visited Japan and the USA. What do u think about this? Personally Im all for it and think it would be a great step forward for this great series.

This will defintly help encourage more manufacturers into the series. Autosport also says that Lambourgini will make a announcement at the Frankfurt Motor show (date anyone?) regarding their plans for 2004. The entry will be a Murceielago, and will be entered in the top division, GT. The new racer will be built and developed by Reiter engineering. So this means Lambourgini wont be entering as a Factory team? More like the current Prodrive operation? The same applies with Aston Martin. But not Maserati, as they will be a full blown Factory effort. Or will the Lambourgini and Aston Martin works teams get more support from the factory than Prodrive gets? This is all very confusing at the moment for me. But very exciting.

Roll on 2004..
Old 4 Sep 2003, 20:23 (Ref:708422)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
According to this weeks Autosport Magazine the FIA GT series looks set to go back to "World" Status as it was previously in the 1997-1998 seasons, because it visited Japan and the USA. What do u think about this?
It sounds good but I think it's not a good idea. The costs will increase and that will be the end of the smaller teams in FIA GT.
At the moment we have 3 major championships: FIA GT (Europe), JGTC (Japan) and ALMS (N-America). All are great series, why taking the risk to ruin these series. I can remember GT1 time in the late 90s...

Quote:
The entry will be a Murceielago
I thaught they would take the smaller Lambo?

Quote:
and will be entered in the top division, GT.
Do you mean GT or GTS?

Quote:
The new racer will be built and developed by Reiter engineering.
Reiter has already experience with the Diablo which raced in some FIA GT events 1 or 2 years ago. I don't know of this company is the right one to build a competative car. I think Reiter is not of the same level as Prodrive. Off course money is also an important factor.

Last edited by FIRE; 4 Sep 2003 at 20:25.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 20:39 (Ref:708430)   #3
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Kurt Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car is for GT in FIA and GTS at LM.

The Gallardo has not been built in enough numbers for homologation in FIA N-GT or ACO GT.

KM

ps-RATEL-make the class designations the same!
Old 4 Sep 2003, 20:42 (Ref:708433)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Off course!!! GT (FIA GT) and GTS (LM).
Old 4 Sep 2003, 20:55 (Ref:708438)   #5
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think since regulations are similar to stick with the European FIA GT, the ALMS and JGTC (which is somewhat a looser translation of FIA rules) and maybe have an invitational round for all three...say Sebring in the US, Sepang for JGTC and Spa for the Euro round? something along those lines, offer cheap shipping and a worthwile reason (free le mans entry for the overall winner of the 3 rounds) and you will get at least the best of the 3 series teams entered...though I dont think JGTC teams give a rats behind about LM
Old 4 Sep 2003, 21:16 (Ref:708451)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
It sounds good but I think it's not a good idea. The costs will increase and that will be the end of the smaller teams in FIA GT.
At the moment we have 3 major championships: FIA GT (Europe), JGTC (Japan) and ALMS (N-America). All are great series, why taking the risk to ruin these series. I can remember GT1 time in the late 90s...
I woudnt class the JGTC as a real GT championship personally, and certainly not major. The way I see it the major series at the moment are, FIA GT, ALMS, FIA SCC, and British GT, Belcar, and Euro GT to a lesser extent.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 21:27 (Ref:708459)   #7
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I'd say that any national championship with as many factory or semi factory teams as JGTC is fairly major!!

it certainly makes both the FIASCC and Euro GTs look second rate by comparison and it's a rank or more above the Brit series at the moment too.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 21:58 (Ref:708477)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yes, but its not a real GT series as far as Im concerned. They run to very differnt regulations. And when was the last time one of factory teams from the JGTC, or any entry from the JGTC entered a classic sportscar race? Such as the Spa 24hrs, Nurburgring 24hrs, Le Mans, Sebring, PLM? Not for a few years thats for sure.

British GT has teams that have competed at Le Mans, Spa 24hrs, Spa 1000km in recent years. JGTC is mainly old GT1 machinery, its not a real GT series. Euro GT is on the other hand. As is British GT and Belcar. Graham, what would u rather watch? The Spa 1000km, or FIA SCC at Donnington, or a JGTC round at Suzuka or Fuji? I know Id choose the FIA SCC every time.

Maybe if the JGTC had something to do with LM Id be more open to the series. But the style of racing is differnt, and so are the regulations. Euro GT, FIA GT, British GT, Belcar, Spanish GT, FFSA etc all run to the same regulations, by and large.

Still its all down to opinion, btw Graham did u have anything to say about the original topic? Or was ur post just a excuse to attack my views? All I was doing was responding to what Fire had to say, and wasnt attacking.

Im not going to respond to this thread again, was merley giving my point of view, and have now done so.

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 4 Sep 2003 at 22:00.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 22:19 (Ref:708502)   #9
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure why you thought you were under attack - I was merely stating an opinion.

In answer to your question though the Team Taisan Porsche from the JGTC has been at LM every year since 2000 (when it won the GT class), one of very few GT class cars indeed to compete in the great race via a national championship (other than the FFSA)
Old 4 Sep 2003, 22:28 (Ref:708517)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Sorry Graham, but it sounded like u were attacking me,or at least that was my gut reaction. Still no big deal, sorry I guess I might have over-reacted a little. I take ur point about the Taisan Porsche, my mistake. One thing though, to the best of my knowledge the Taisan team hasnt entered any other big endurance race, has it? I mean like Spa 24hrs, Sebring, PLM, Nurburgring etc. The British GT series has also had regular entries at Le Mans, ie Morgan and TVR in recent years.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 22:43 (Ref:708534)   #11
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More money is invested in JGTC than ALMS-GTS, FIA-GT, and LM-GTS/GT combined. FIA GT is a side show that no one really watches and has neither real manufacturer investment or support. It doesn't even begin to comapare with the amount of investment and factory support given to the JGTC.

Time to start thinking a bit more globally, and maybe check out what goes on in other places.

We all love FIA GT, but there is reality, .. and well, look at the cars in there... its not exactly a strong competition. I think FIA-GT is struggling, financially, and to field strong enough grids with enough cars.

US TransAM is probably actually better off at the moment, and they have to compete with a much tougher, more competitive sports market.

Perhaps FIA-GT should link with ALMS-GTS/GT, Nations Cup in Australia, and Euro-GT for a few enduro races at Spa, Bathurst, Road Atlanta or Sebring or Daytona, while maintaining their respective championships.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 04:26 (Ref:708712)   #12
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Kurt Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA GT struggling?

Trans Am is in better shape? If it doesn't die soon it should be put out of its misery.
SCCA should put the T/A name on WC GT. That is a series that is going places.

While I agree that the JGTC is doing well, the FIA GT is doing pretty well too. It has the potential to be bigger than the JGTC as it is an international series.

I don't think the FIA GT should leave Europe though as was suggested. It would add great expense for teams and with national series in N.America and Japan there is no need for it.

Let the LM Endurance Series go to Sebring for the 12 Hours and to a race in Japan. Four events in Europe, the LM 24 and two or three races outside Europe would make for a nice LM Championship made up of world class events.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 06:46 (Ref:708794)   #13
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt Maxwell

Let the LM Endurance Series go to Sebring for the 12 Hours and to a race in Japan. Four events in Europe, the LM 24 and two or three races outside Europe would make for a nice LM Championship made up of world class events.
We agree on that one. If any championship has the potential and the publicity to go Global it is the one centred around LeMans and Sebring. Bring in some old classics like Spa, Monza, link up with a race in Japan and perhaps Bathurst, keep the multi class format that always provides some interest and you have the making of the best possible sportscars championship.

To me the world scene should be coordinated like in superbike where local championships run to the same rules and get wildcard entries when the global series hit their shores.

I know I'm dreaming but things are beginning to look up.

Last edited by Mal; 5 Sep 2003 at 06:46.