Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1122146)   #1
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well done Ralf!

There.....

Someone had to say it.

Great effort 2nd race back!

The williams has been nowhere this year, but Ralfie boy beat both Honda's fair & square.

The Mark Waugh of F1 has one more chance to win another race in his career.

Go Ralf!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1122166)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well done!! 2nd only to big bro in the race
Old 12 Oct 2004, 13:59 (Ref:1122190)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He drove well. He gained in Q because of the previous race, but was fast all race long.

Patrick Head said the team has been comlaining that Ralf is leaving because he is a pleasure to work with at the moment.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1122214)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Short memories, eh. Does it only take seven races to forget what people are like?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1122234)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all that even I thought Ralf did well on Sunday there's always the question of why he & Montoya could not do it for the rest of the season - it seems unlikely that the car has got that much better suddenly and to have more to do with Ralf wanting to impress his new bosses on home ground
Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:55 (Ref:1122255)   #6
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf did brilliantly on Sunday, but you still get the impression that something on Montoya's side of the garage has gone off the boil since Ralf came back. Not to take anything away from RS - a fantastic drive!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1122257)   #7
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After allowing himself to be wound up (again) by JPM earlier this year, Ralf began to look convincing before his shunt. (Canada, for example)

Whilst the jury is out on his mental attitude, my gut feeling is that Ralf, when he does get his act together, is one of the top three or five out there.

Toyota will make genuine progress with Gascoyne, Ralf and Trulli.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 16:38 (Ref:1122353)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There have been times this year where the Williams has been pretty competitive, so the 2nd place isn't an absolute shock to me, but Ralf most certainly deserves kudos for a terrific result.

Last edited by Snrub; 12 Oct 2004 at 16:40.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1122367)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great race by Ralf but lets just remember he is inconsistent don't expect to me mifted he dosn't climb on to the poduim at Sao paulo.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 17:19 (Ref:1122398)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Effectively he got this great result more due to a poor result in China than anything else, as that gave him a chance to qualify late and palce the car up the grid as the track dried. Then again, the poor finishing position in question was due to the blameless accident with DC, so I can't begrudge him it. It's good to see him back, and he looks to be on strong form. Maybe he can get the job done at Toyota next year.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1122404)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ralf has looked refreshed, eager and very positive since his return. It's great to see, especially after such a traumatic accident.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:01 (Ref:1122497)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whilst it is all very well applauding Ralfs japan performance (and he was excellent), let's look at the bigger picture.

That was his first podium in 14 months.

So don't be that surprised if I'm not impressed overall.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:05 (Ref:1122502)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He did finish on the podium in Canada before being disqualified.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:08 (Ref:1122506)   #14
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...disqualified for something that showed no real speed gain.

I didn't expect Ralf to come back and be on the podium this year at all so congrats on a good drive!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:14 (Ref:1122514)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It must be something in the Schumacher blood!

If you remember Michael on his come back, he came back even stronger!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1122519)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, but as much as the illegalities on the Williams in Canada were probably no real gain, it still puts the question mark next to his podium.

On his day, Ralf is unbeatable and possibly even faster than his brother. But those days come once every 20 race weekends.

2003 was a great example of this. One minute he was qualifying 17th at Malaysia, the next blowing the field away at Magny Cours. He veers from astonishing to appalling in a most alarming fashion.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1122554)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was never a fan of RS, still am not but he drove an excellent race in Japan. While Monty is crying about unfair treatment RS seems to have come back with one goal and that is racing. Good job.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 23:20 (Ref:1122731)   #18
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf drove a very steady, sensible race, in a car performing on the day. Good for him and good for Williams.

JPM is, (IMO), a driver that veers from, nearly astonishing, to alarmingly appalling, in less time than it takes me to crack an egg.

Well done Ralf.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1122743)   #19
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy

On his day, Ralf is unbeatable and possibly even faster than his brother. But those days come once every 20 race weekends.

2003 was a great example of this. One minute he was qualifying 17th at Malaysia, the next blowing the field away at Magny Cours. He veers from astonishing to appalling in a most alarming fashion.
Agreed, in enigmatic fashion he always seems to be on either end of the spectrum; really good or really bad. This day he looked fabulous and I bet Toyota breathed a collective sigh of relief.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 01:56 (Ref:1122804)   #20
speedy_sam
Rookie

speedy_sam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
Ralf did brilliantly on Sunday, but you still get the impression that something on Montoya's side of the garage has gone off the boil since Ralf came back. Not to take anything away from RS - a fantastic drive!
I think the lack of adequate running in practice caught out Monty.

Usually Montoya posts very average laps in FP1 (slower than Ralf) and then steadily improves to FP2 (usually faster than Ralf). In qualifying, Montoya has held a slight edge over the season.

The improvement of Monty's performance over the race weekend can be attributed to him benefitting from Ralf's setup. I am not just making this up. Monty has publicly acknowledged that they missed Ralf's experience in setup during the time he was away.

Here in Japan, he must have pretty much raced with his FP1 setup and so fared poorly. Ralf must have had a decent setup as a baseline and benefitted. Ralf also benefited from ideal track position during QLF2.

But Monty's sliding around in QLF2 on slicks on a soaking wet raod was fun to watch - the car stepped out on him big time and still he was 10 secs quicker than Bruni who was on Intermediates. Awesome!
Old 13 Oct 2004, 03:26 (Ref:1122827)   #21
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very well done indeed Ralf !!

I did not expect to see him come back so soon in full form, after the accident at the USGP.

It will be interesting to watch him race next season if the Toyota is up to par.

Old 13 Oct 2004, 04:10 (Ref:1122850)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Both Williams drivers have been a massive disappointment this season. Ralf has long suffered from 'only when I am in the mood', and more recently the jumping ship Montoya has adopted the same policy.

That said, great drive by Ralf in Japan, and I hope its a sign of more to come. Off topic, but on current form Monty is going to have his butt handed to him next season, so he better pull his finger out as well.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 06:22 (Ref:1122892)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto Wrexie; overall this season has showed that running (since the very beginning) leaving drivers is not a good policy.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 09:47 (Ref:1123003)   #24
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Ditto Wrexie; overall this season has showed that running (since the very beginning) leaving drivers is not a good policy.
I don't quite agree.

Button has had a very good season, after having told BAR in februari that he was planning to leave.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 11:40 (Ref:1123098)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
February? That's news to me. I'm sure he must've reconsidered at some point, especially as Williams flopped and BAR exceeded even DR's hopes.

Ralf and Montoya are both inconsistant by their natures, but Montoya seems to have more good days as a whole, although there are some tracks, most notably Imola, where he's never been competitive. Setup is his big weakness, so I hope for his and McLaren's sake that Kimi (or Wurz if they get to run 3 in Friday practice) are strong in this area.