Old 4 Feb 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1515592)   #1
gts1
Rookie

England
stalybridge,GODS OWN TOWN
gts1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flags

Hi Folks
Can any one out there tell me where I can obtain a set of flags from ? And what sort of price I should be paying
Cheers
Old 4 Feb 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1515626)   #2
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
In the pit lane, Cheshire
pit bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don`t know of anywhere that sells the sets, all the flaggies that i know buy the material and have them made then stick them on poles of their choice. there fore getting the weight and size to suit them.

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 4 Feb 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1515647)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can buy them as a ready to use set from Demon Tweeks in Wrexham but it will cost you an arm and a leg!

As Pit Bull says, it's a helluva lot less expensive to get the right materials, a bit of dowling and do it yourself (Or ask a local friendly seamstress!) However, make sure you make them to the correct size.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1515649)   #4
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try the House of Flags http://www.flags.co.uk/infolive/?id=64 On the left had side of the page there is a link which opens a PDF file which is a price list. I have had a set of their flags for a number years and have used them almost every day whilst working at Brands
Old 4 Feb 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1515659)   #5
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if anyone would like a set of flags (considerably cheaper than dt)contact dennis who usually hangs out on the fire truck at oulton park.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1515678)   #6
andymfell
Rookie

United Kingdom
cumbria
andymfell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this company supply flags either with or without poles

http://www.mbsuk.com/motorsport.html

t: 0151 632 6060
MBS UK MBS House Carsthorne Road
Hoylake Wirral CH47 4BF
Old 4 Feb 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1515679)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I'm surprised you have to buy your own flags, thats ridiculous.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1515700)   #8
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The prices are well over £200 for a set.
MBS certainly look less expensive than House of Flags.
But still very expensive
Old 4 Feb 2006, 23:34 (Ref:1515707)   #9
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flag marshals don't have to buy their own flags. However, some, like me, prefer to have our own. I got mine second hand from a former flag marshal. Drivers from local club have commented that they know which post I am at as mine are the clean flags!

I'd really like a set of flags made by Huub Vermeulen, but, don't know how to buy a set.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 23:37 (Ref:1515709)   #10
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2006 blue book lists two flag suppliers

Borney UK Ltd www.borneyuk.co.uk

Turtle & Pearce Ltd www.flags-turtle.co.uk
Old 5 Feb 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1515822)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's obvioulsy no reason to have your own flags, but for whatever reason you choose to buy / make your own then it's vitally important that they accord the required standards... would have throught that there may be serious consequences if they don't and an on track incident occurs as a result (however tenuous).
Old 5 Feb 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1515958)   #12
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taking care of the set of flags 'we' are issued with at the start of the day and reporting any deficiencies should be taken as granted ....but apart from normal "wear & tear",some Circuits' sets I've used over the years have fallen far short of required standards .
Old 5 Feb 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1516071)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I remember at least one all brown set following a fairly wet meeting a couple of weeks before.
Old 5 Feb 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1516086)   #14
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or all black when covered in bugs!!
Old 5 Feb 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1516094)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LOL. The difference is they turn yellow again when you wave them!

Having your own flags is not a requirement, but some of the circuit ones are pretty awful so some prefer their own. Having done permanent damage to my thumb with one of Donington's wet blankets, I'm seriously considering getting some since I intend to concentrate on this discipline this year.
Old 5 Feb 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1516106)   #16
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bill & I both have our own set of flags, but can't remember where we got them from unfortunately (it was different places). I do know that mine came complete with poles, even though I hadn't ordered them! They cost approximately £60-80 a number of years ago, but consider them an investment!

I personally prefer my own flags because, to quote a certain red-haired scottish observer, they are "girlie flags" - very light-weight and, to me, very easy to control in high wind or extremely wet conditions. And, if very pushed, I can display 3 at a time without sticking one of the poles where the sun don't shine!

I made my decision to own my own set when I was on post at Donington one time (many years ago) and the pole (sorry, broom handle) on the white flag was as tall as me!

I did make my first set myself (out of very light shower-proof fabric) but was told that the yellow wouldn't do - it was fluorescent and "appeared too green". So what did they do the following year (after I had chucked the remnants out) - they introduced fluorescent yellow flags (1993, I think - I know I was sewing while watching the 1992 election results). So I was a full year ahead of the MSA. Too lazy to do the sewing now.

And, by the way, to anyone who is considering owning their own set of flags, make sure your poles are a) the right length (use your elbow as a measure - you need to be able to do the figure of eight wave without wrapping the end of the pole round your arm) and b) balance the weight of the material with the width of the pole. No good having light-weight flags attached to a broom handle! I use 1/2" dowling personally.
Old 5 Feb 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1516204)   #17
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Useful tips Shelagh, I've told mother that for my birthday I'd like her to improve her sewing skills, now I can specify things better
Old 6 Feb 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1516521)   #18
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too use my own flags, materials sourced myself, to blue book specifications. 1 use of circuit flags when I started flagging was all it took to convince me I should have my own! whole set cost me about £15 !!!
Old 6 Feb 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1516839)   #19
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought a set off Borney a few years ago. They are good quality but are not the "ripstop nylon" looking type. My problem is I had to buy not only all the usual circuit flags but all three black flags and a chequer as well!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1518207)   #20
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know who it was but at Combe last year I flagged with someone who made their own out of Sail material and with really lightweight poles (not dowling - fibreglass or something), and they were brilliant!
Old 9 Feb 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1518854)   #21
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybirch
Don't know who it was but at Combe last year I flagged with someone who made their own out of Sail material and with really lightweight poles (not dowling - fibreglass or something), and they were brilliant!
Could be cut down fishing poles. I've seen a couple of flaggies with their own gear use old fishing poles cut to size.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1518963)   #22
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some circuit flag sets I've used in the States have been mounted on white PVC pipe instead of wood dowelling. Makes them much lighter.

Just an idea for those who might like to improve the circuit sets instead of getting your own: our local marshalling group weathered a number of years without our own circuit after the original one was sold for housing :`( When we finally got a new track we had no flags anymore. What we did was solicit donations from drivers, motorsport-related businesses, and individuals to support the purchase and construction of a complete circuit set. Each flag made from donations includes a machine-embroidered "thank you" and the name of the donor on the part of the flag that wraps around the handle, close to the top (the flags are then screwed to the handles top and bottom). This means that the embroidery doesn't interfere with the flag itself or with your hand when holding the flag above the handle proper. Some of the names on the flags are now (after ten years) collectible in their own right.

Just a thought!
keke

PS. The club has also built flag drying stands out of PVC pipe, and the flags are racked in them after a wet day (we have a lot of those). They drip-dry overnight in the club trailer and then can be rolled before taking out to the stations the following day.