Old 19 Feb 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2833768)   #1
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
GT-Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to Grip Drift

Hi all,

I do short sprint races in Dubai Kartdrome in the Sodi Kart RX7.

Indeed action movie type, that can be seen by an observer of drifint in SLOW. Period. I'm here asking on the race-drifting (grip drifting).

Driving on rails means also not going at full speed but on the other hand, When I induce some drift I notice the kart losses speed in the straight. Perhaps I was drifting too much.

I want to induce little drift because I want to hit the tyres "slip angle" where the best grip of the tyre is. But how can I tell once I have reached that?

Do you do any drift in a go-kart? or do you drive absolutely on the rails? If there is Zero drift then that means we are NOT using the optimum grip of the tyre.

Any comment, Advise? Im confused.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2834500)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Karts should always be in a state of slide on entry and mid corner. But, if you watch some videos, you will see that the steering wheel should essentially be straight. Big moments of opposite lock will slow you down.

I can't help but think that your taking a far too scientific approach to it. Just keep practicing and try a few things out and you will work out whats fast. If you can be there when some quick guys are there, follow them and learn.