Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 May 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3075522)   #1326
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
crikey...you guys had a good look on F/B lately....theres people breaking the so called guidelines everywhere........
*shocked* next you're gonna tell me there are tens of thousands of underaged people of facebook

Old 16 May 2012, 23:46 (Ref:3075523)   #1327
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Nick’s next with a new Holden
Old 17 May 2012, 00:06 (Ref:3075524)   #1328
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for Nick, lets just hope he gets a nice livery this time
Old 17 May 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3075914)   #1329
Racer Mike
Racer

New Zealand
Racer Mike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
crikey...you guys had a good look on F/B lately....theres people breaking the so called guidelines everywhere........
Come on guys, really. Did you expect anything else from these muppets, who do they think they are. Do they think there **** doesnt stink, man there noses must be miles from their butt.
They **** their competitors off, run a ratchet show, got their hands in their pockets all the time, dont pay their bills, dont reply or communicate to anyone unless it suits them and break common rules in social media.

Im about to get on a plane to come up to Auckland for AGM and really hope some of these amateurs are sent home packing by clubs. Make a stand here people, lets get our sport into the 21st century and get to enjoy what put so much money into.
Old 17 May 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3075938)   #1330
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Good for Nick, lets just hope he gets a nice livery this time
you don't like his current one?
Old 17 May 2012, 23:39 (Ref:3075942)   #1331
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
Nope
Old 19 May 2012, 03:47 (Ref:3076281)   #1332
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post

No not really, it makes the car look quite old fashioned IMO. Just an opinion though, and with him getting a new car i hope he gets a new livery that has some punch
Old 21 May 2012, 22:04 (Ref:3077492)   #1333
Rugz
Rookie

New Zealand
West Auckland
Rugz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012-13 rounds draft.
Quote:
After the weekend’s annual Motorsport New Zealand AGM, a provisional calendar has been drafted for the upcoming NZV8s Gold Star Championship, and associated support categories.
This is of course subject to change, but will look a little something like this:
8-9 December Taupo
12-13 January Invercargill
19-20 January Timaru
26-27 January Taupo
2-3 February Hampton Downs
9-10 February Manfeild (Manawatu)
9-10 March Pukekohe
TBA April TBA (Australian V8 Supercars)
This is quite a change from recent years, with the championship now kicking off in Taupo at a slightly later December date. Following in the new year is a 5-in-5 quickfire format, a lot of which will be alongside the Toyota Racing Series, finishing up with the Grand Finale at Pukekohe in March.
Old 21 May 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3077494)   #1334
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taupo twice and no Ruapuna?
Old 21 May 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3077496)   #1335
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
intersting they are going to HD, wonder what the lap times of the new car (if it happens) will be like
Old 21 May 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3077504)   #1336
Biggy G
Veteran

Second Taupo an error? What's Ruapuna done to upset them?
Old 21 May 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3077515)   #1337
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Second Taupo an error? What's Ruapuna done to upset them?
biggy ,i dont think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that the 5 in a row jan/feb events will be run with the TRS as per their schedule this year....which will include taupo2.
a bloody good move IMO as the TRS was very good this year........
i would guess that a 1x trip southisland leg(cost perhaps) is the reason for not doing ruapuna.
OR ,could it be that V8ST now have that date...........
Old 21 May 2012, 22:56 (Ref:3077525)   #1338
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biggy, those rounds / dates would have been agreed to at the meeting held on Thursday between all the circuit owning clubs and the the circuit operators and the promotors. You do have to put your hand up and apply for a round or date as they are not just allocated by God or given to you. Everything is negotiated between the circuit operators themselves and promotors.

My home club would have had 4 people in attendance at that meeting .

Who knows, Canterbury Car Club may have decided to run a different class at Ruapuna on that date. It would be great to see Formula 5000 there.
Old 21 May 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3077526)   #1339
Biggy G
Veteran

Quote:
biggy ,i dont think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that the 5 in a row jan/feb events will be run with the TRS as per their schedule this year....which will include taupo2.
a bloody good move IMO as the TRS was very good this year........
i would guess that a 1x trip southisland leg(cost perhaps) is the reason for not doing ruapuna.
OR ,could it be that V8ST now have that date...........
I agree, the TRS was by far the best thing about this summers racing (Perhaps that will be recognised this year?), but it seems odd to disregard the countries second highest populated city? Take the action to the people and all that. If the events are promoted correctly then i'd expect a bigger payoff for racing at Ruapuna than in Invercargill.

Odd now though, all traces of that calendar have dissapeard: http://nzv8s.wordpress.com/2012/05/2...al-calendar-4/ , as well as the Facebook post they made. Can't decide what they want to share and what they don't?

Souther Man, if Ruapuna rejected having the Teir 1 series visit this year, what does that say about the state of NZ Motorsport, that one of the countries premier tracks for the past decade doesn't want a piece of the supposed "big show"?
Old 21 May 2012, 23:38 (Ref:3077544)   #1340
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the stated attributes and points of difference of running under the Tier 1 TMC (re-named MPS) series is that it has the sole rights to run as a MSNZ Gold Star Championship class with the series winner being the Gold Star Champion.

The MSNZ rules with regards to Championship Series criteria state :

Championship status may be awarded to a class that MotorSport NZ considers has met the criteria above and is additionally in the national interest.
Prior to Championship status application a class shall have competed the previous season as a Sanctioned or challenge Series an should have demonstrated the ability to have at least 15 vehicles contesting 75% of scheduled rounds for the series.
For MotorSport NZ to consider status for a first or subsequent Championship the class must have been able to demonstrate the ability to have at least 15 vehicles contesting 75% of the previous seasons scheduled rounds of the series.

On this basis how can the new NZV8 class attain Championship status in the 2012/13 season when they have not competed in a previous season and how can they get Championship status in the ensuing 2013/14 season when the best estimate of entrants is 12 (less than the minimum requirement of 15 entrants).
Old 21 May 2012, 23:40 (Ref:3077545)   #1341
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
When you look at the dates from Teretonga to Manfeild it does make a good strong package with a couple of extra North Island rounds added at either end which does save the Noth Island teams the cost of an extra trip south.

Perhaps Canterbury Car Club decided that two meetings close together was not the best thing to do and have decided to throw all their weight into the Lady Wigram Meeting and if thay have included Super tourers into that one it will be one hell of a meeting. I can't wait to see whats planned when the full calendar is released
Old 21 May 2012, 23:46 (Ref:3077550)   #1342
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
One of the stated attributes and points of difference of running under the Tier 1 TMC (re-named MPS) series is that it has the sole rights to run as a MSNZ Gold Star Championship class with the series winner being the Gold Star Champion.

The MSNZ rules with regards to Championship Series criteria state :

Championship status may be awarded to a class that MotorSport NZ considers has met the criteria above and is additionally in the national interest.
Prior to Championship status application a class shall have competed the previous season as a Sanctioned or challenge Series an should have demonstrated the ability to have at least 15 vehicles contesting 75% of scheduled rounds for the series.
For MotorSport NZ to consider status for a first or subsequent Championship the class must have been able to demonstrate the ability to have at least 15 vehicles contesting 75% of the previous seasons scheduled rounds of the series.

On this basis how can the new NZV8 class attain Championship status in the 2012/13 season when they have not competed in a previous season and how can they get Championship status in the ensuing 2013/14 season when the best estimate of entrants is 12 (less than the minimum requirement of 15 entrants).
A small point Roger, it is not a new class, rather it is the technical specifications for cars in that class that is what has been changed
Old 22 May 2012, 00:02 (Ref:3077558)   #1343
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
A small point Roger, it is not a new class, rather it is the technical specifications for cars in that class that is what has been changed
If it is being interpreted as a technical specification change to an existing class (the old NZV8s) then the problem still exists.
In the 2011/12 season the NZV8 class only had 15 or more entrants at two of the six events in the Tier 1 series (at Pukekohe in November and at Manfield in February). As such it failed to meet the Championship criteria of 15 entrants at 75% of the series events (which would have required 15 or more at 4 of the events).
Accordingly, the new NZV8s (whether a new class or the old class with technical changes) doesn't seem able to claim a Championship status.
Old 22 May 2012, 06:23 (Ref:3077617)   #1344
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And therein lies the problem. When casual TV viewers see (supposedly) our premier classes, fronting up with less than 15 entrants on a regular basis, of course actual crowd numbers will be low and I think this low support (for whatever reason) is why circuit racing doesn't attract the crowds. If the tier 1 isn't attractive, then the casuals would believe that anything lower is less attractive. We know better. They don't.

Who wants to pay to see acres of empty tar seal? This is exactly why crowd numbers are litle more than 1100 at each meeting and quite frankly, that is a disgrace.

The words "sanctioned series" don't help either, as it appears that these are merely words that allow MSNZ to charge higher levies in return for supposedly administering the technical regulations. Super Tourers is NOT a sanctioned series and that means they administer their own technical regs.
Old 22 May 2012, 07:42 (Ref:3077654)   #1345
harcey
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
And therein lies the problem. When casual TV viewers see (supposedly) our premier classes, fronting up with less than 15 entrants on a regular basis, of course actual crowd numbers will be low and I think this low support (for whatever reason) is why circuit racing doesn't attract the crowds. If the tier 1 isn't attractive, then the casuals would believe that anything lower is less attractive. We know better. They don't.

correct me if i am wrong guys.......but last season the nzv8 numbers struggled after the formation of ST and exodus of competitors........
and the previous 7 or 8 years struggled for number s as well??.i think not..crikey i think they were lucky to get what they got last season and as i have said before they will survive and be back....especially now that nzv8 and V8ST are not really going to be that similar are they..........
Old 22 May 2012, 07:49 (Ref:3077661)   #1346
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post

Who wants to pay to see acres of empty tar seal? This is exactly why crowd numbers are litle more than 1100 at each meeting and quite frankly, that is a disgrace.
Yes Socram, you've identified one of the main problems. The problem isn't inherently the NZV8 class, its the TMC running of the Tier 1 series. They have a contract with MSNZ to run these Championship events but over the last three years have done a pretty poor effort which has had a detrimental impact on all motorsport. The rot was setting in three years ago but TMC seemed struck with inertia.
The problem has been that Tier 1 has been portrayed to the public by MSNZ as the pinnacle of NZ motorsport. The dwindling grids of mainly boring racing (except perhaps for TRS) presents a pretty pathetic "pinnacle" and the message it gives to the public and potential participants and sponsors is far below the standard needed to attract new people to become involved in the sport.
As you say, the public will believe that if the pinnacle is so poor then the rest of the sport must be even worse - as a result we all suffer.
MSNZ should have been proactive in addressing this but it seems the inertia was contagious.
Old 22 May 2012, 07:55 (Ref:3077666)   #1347
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
correct me if i am wrong guys.......but last season the nzv8 numbers struggled after the formation of ST and exodus of competitors........
and the previous 7 or 8 years struggled for number s as well??.i think not..crikey i think they were lucky to get what they got last season and as i have said before they will survive and be back....especially now that nzv8 and V8ST are not really going to be that similar are they..........
Its not just the NZV8 class which struggled under TMC (irrespective of the reason) - last year every class which TMC ran over all the rounds (NZV8, Utes, Sports and Production and Suzuki) all failed as a result of poor grids to meet the criteria to qualify in the future as a MSNZ Championship class ........... maybe there is a message in the consistency of the outcome?
Old 22 May 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3077668)   #1348
harcey
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
Its not just the NZV8 class which struggled under TMC (irrespective of the reason) - last year every class which TMC ran over all the rounds (NZV8, Utes, Sports and Production and Suzuki) all failed as a result of poor grids to meet the criteria to qualify in the future as a MSNZ Championship class ........... maybe there is a message in the consistency of the outcome?
yep agreed ......and theres also the fact that we are in a wee bit of a recession and sponsorship is a wee bit harder to come by and mum is not quite as happy to see the family savings spent on jimmy's racing when there is no real security that dad will still be employed in 6 months...........it's not just all about MNZ incompetence(still a factor tho..)
Old 22 May 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3077719)   #1349
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
I don't know if you were around at the time RogerH but the fields that are so full now, ie the classics, did at times during their hayday also suffer from low numbers. I do recall a Gold Star race meetings with if I remember correctly, six F5000's in attendance.
Old 22 May 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3077734)   #1350
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Yes, you are both correct - there are tough economic times where discretionary spending takes a hit and that effects motorsport - also, different classes have had their highs and lows over the years (and yes, I was around then).
However, when you consider that the cost of running a Tier 1 season, anchored around the NZV8s, is around $3.4m you have to wonder if the Sport is getting value for money when the Classic meetings are getting a significantly larger number of entrants and paying spectators for a fraction of the spend.
Surely there is a message when there are reputably more paying spectators at just one major Classic meeting than at the combined six Tier 1 meetings.
I'm not saying that the pinnacle of NZ motorsport should be Classic racing but it must indicate that Tier 1 is doing something wrong and Classic racing is doing something right.