Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 14 Feb 2000, 16:24 (Ref:3008)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, I know this must have been covered to death in this Forum - but as I'm new to it, I'm going to ask the question anyway...

I've been marshalling for several years, and I'm now considering racing (I have a friend who may share the costs / drives). The question being, which series is the cheapest to start in???

I've narrowed it down a little, so tell us what you think and have I missed anything balant or I'm I being over optimistic!!

1. Mighty Minis (can use as road car also)
2. Post Historic's (as above)
3. 750 MC Kit cars
4. 750 MC Locosts
5. 750 Formula / Formula Vee's (could get expensive).
6. MG Midget's

Thats the basic list, but if anyone has experience of these series, I would be very grateful of any advice!!!

Or, if anyone wants to give me a drive - that'd be a good alternative!! (I managed 6 trouble free laps of Castle Combe in a Formula Ford).
Old 14 Feb 2000, 17:12 (Ref:3009)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hin Dan,

looking at your list you have missed a couple of Championships. The Stock Hatch and the MG Car Club Metro Championship.

Frankly I don't advise the Stock Hatch option because you can't modify the brakes or the supension bushes so it all gets a bit unpredictable.

The Metro's are quick enough and cheap enough (depending on class) and you can even modify the suspension and brakes on the road going class.

A prepped car for class B (Modified) can be bought for about £2K. Peter Weston (Your fellow Marshall) knows all about this. He races in the MGCC Phoenix Challenge.

Your list includes some fairly expensive options. I'm not sure about the 750MC championships but if you want to be anywhere competitive in Midgets or Post Historics you can expect a bill for the season of around £6K. Don't believe all you read in CCC.

Good luck in your quest.

Pete

Old 15 Feb 2000, 00:19 (Ref:3010)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers Pete,

Don't worry, I never believe a word of CCC.
Didn't think about MG Metros, Mr Weston runs his in Castle Combe's own Saloon series as well. Goes quite well!!!

Stock Hatch's are too crash and bang for me, any budget I could scrape together wouldn't include car repairs.....

It'll be a case of talking to as many drivers as possible this year and see which is the best way forward...
Old 15 Feb 2000, 14:31 (Ref:3011)   #4
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Don't worry, I never believe a word of CCC."
Why ever not? Top-class mag in my view!

"Didn't think about MG Metros, Mr Weston runs his in Castle Combe's own Saloon series as well. Goes quite well!!!"
Not sure about that, which particular Weston are we talking about here? The younger one was involved in the crash that wrote off my mate's car, dare I say it was his fault? clashing with the older Weston, and spinning into my friend????
No, seriously, the metro is not really quick enough for the sallon car cup.
Have you thought about the fiat challenge?
I am a big fan of this series!

Old 15 Feb 2000, 14:37 (Ref:3012)   #5
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.

ooooppps,
just to clear up the above, the crash was not really the fault of either weson or even my mate Rick.
A simple racing incedent, as i am sure everyone who was there would agree.
Sorry Mr Weston
Old 15 Feb 2000, 16:07 (Ref:3013)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Sorry I take it back.... CCC isn’t all bad, in fact Mark Hale’s tests give a good insight.. but it does skim over a few details sometimes.

Fiat Uno racing, another option. It looks pretty cheap, racing not too rough but quite competitive at the same time.

Was considering something like Pagids at Combe, until I learnt that Anita Broadhead spent 4 grand on her engine in that mini - and she still manages to come dead last by a long way!!!!

Its an expensive business.....
Old 15 Feb 2000, 18:09 (Ref:3014)   #7
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.

4 Grand, where did you hear that?
My mate Rick Rowles races in the Pagid, and I can give you my guarentee, and I am sure he could if he wishes to make a post, hey Rick, nudge nudge
that he does not spend that much on his engine, and never comes last, it has a lot to do with driver skill as well as money!
Old 16 Feb 2000, 00:22 (Ref:3015)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I think would be fair to say that the Broadhead's have more money than natural ability.... But any mini on the grid is good news, so I'm not knocking them!!!

Mr Rowles, is he a 205 driver - its been a while since October...

But even Pagids are expensive... Julian Howells mini has had years of money behind it, and that highly strung engine would take some TLC - it'll be the same A series that's in all those MG Metro's, just better tuned / tweaked.
Old 16 Feb 2000, 00:52 (Ref:3016)   #9
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Yup, 205 Gti.
I think that may be a little harsh, Richard Broadhead isn't at all bad, and he even managed to score a point last year, OK, so there were only 4 finishers in his class, and he came last in class but it was a point none the less
Like you say, it takes a lot of money, take Tim Hanlen for example, nice car! He bought it off of the super road saloons champ, I think i am right in saying this.
mast of cost a fair bit!
Go On Dan, give it a try, it would be cool to race in the saloon car cup, it is one of the best club saloon compititions in the country.
You could advertise ten-tenths on your car
Old 16 Feb 2000, 13:55 (Ref:3017)   #10
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
It’s a only a matter of finance now.... graduate / student loans and working for a County Council don’t help!!!!

So if Ten-Tenths come up with a couple of grand - I’ll be there!!!!

But, we’ve set ourselves a realistic target. ARDS courses to be done this year, whilst putting our finances in order (time to stop drinking beer). And keeping a look out for a car, whilst keeping my parents sweet..

If you see anything advertised, please give us a shout! (I live in Winchester, so anything in the south).
Old 16 Feb 2000, 16:07 (Ref:3018)   #11
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.

Paul Gardener is selling his Suzuki Swift, a little out of the price range I would think,
I'll let you know, keep an eye out in the classified section of the forum!
Old 16 Feb 2000, 17:40 (Ref:3019)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I mentioned the same thing to Craig. A couple of Grand and 10/10s would be plastered all over the car. S'funny, he resigned from the forums the very next day!!!!!

Old 20 Feb 2000, 19:54 (Ref:3020)   #13
CAR 42
Rookie

CAR 42 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HI LEE
This is the first time I have been able to reply due to problems with my modem so beware fellow motor sport nuts rick will be about!!
About cost well I am afraid if you want to Win and you have tallent its all down to how much cash you have ,But if you want to have some fun like me read on.
3 years ago I bought a ex rally 205 GTI for £1350.00 which may I add took me 2 year to save for Then I stripped it to a shell and rebuilt it to go circuit racing at castle coombe in as it was then Handy Gas Championship well since then car has cost me £300.00 for a full race exhaust system £80.00 for a pair of second carbs & maifold. The engine has never been rebuilt. Before my how would you say lift off this year after hitting a metro and writing the car off the
TOAL COST OF CAR £1730.00
The new car well that cost me the grand sum of £320.00 it had 3 mouths tax + mot it took me 8 week to strip rebuild and back on the track and I sold the seats wheels and any thing else I didnt need for the total sum of
£400.00 it also left me with a spare engine and gear box. The extra money left over bought second hand bits for the new car which I could not salvage from the wreck So if you want to have fun for not a lot of cash it can be done
Anyone that would like so see the car come and have a chat at coombe or anyone wants some help drop me a line.

Old 21 Feb 2000, 09:52 (Ref:3021)   #14
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Cheers Rick, that is a good cost break down.
This just go's to show that you do not need to be rolling in cash to be having a bit of fun in a race car.
Any one else want to reveal their racing budget?
Or maybe reply to the above post by Car42 (Rick)
Old 21 Feb 2000, 21:19 (Ref:3022)   #15
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found that really interesting thanx Rick.
Welcome to Ten Tenths, do tell us some more about yer exploits.
Old 22 Feb 2000, 16:02 (Ref:3023)   #16
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Rick(car42)tells me he is planning on putting a picture of his budget racer on this forum, so keep a look out soon!
Old 22 Feb 2000, 20:29 (Ref:3024)   #17
CAR 42
Rookie

[img}http://www.rowltrax.co.uk/image1.jpg[/img]

Hi guys
Well hopefully theirs a picture of my little budget racer attached with this note if not I will blame some one else.{LEE)
over the next couple of day If anybody is interested I will tell you how I built this car of mine bit by bit. By the only only 38 days to go before play time at castle combe cant wait .

RICK

Old 22 Feb 2000, 20:36 (Ref:3025)   #18
CAR 42
Rookie

Sorry I made a mistake ref the picture address.

RICK
Old 23 Feb 2000, 10:14 (Ref:3026)   #19
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Very nice mate, and i see your error, not to do with me mind
I look forward to hearing you story, and I am sure that others will also look forward to it.
Old 24 Feb 2000, 20:31 (Ref:3027)   #20
CAR 42
Rookie

DAN/LEE/RIKB

I have posted a topic on how I built my car so to prove you dont have to be loaded to have some fun.
Old 25 Feb 2000, 04:20 (Ref:3028)   #21
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In reply to an earlier post, my annual racing budget is AUD 4200. (Approx. GBP 1650)